Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Camaro: Strano vs UMI sway bar packages: Please chime in...

I am trying to figure out which set would be better. The UMI's were $270+ at one point on sale (last year black friday or sometime in spring if i remember correctly) and the stranos are significantly higher $...

I posted a similar thread in the suspension section, but I would like to center specifically to camaro owners who have this exact setup ideally..

Are the stranos worth the extra $?
    Would the UMI be suitable?

OR another option I was considering was buying a used WS6/SS front sway bar [because its larger than my z28's stock one]

Would any of you suggest this also or stay away from the WS6/SS one?

As I understand it, the stranos offer a significant weight savings.. Other than that, they function nearly the same because of their identical size? I would expect the materials they are made out of might differ a bit tho..

My sus mods include: Koni 3/4 SA shocks, Strano lowering springs, UMI adjustable PHB, UMI Strut tower brace...
    Last edited by mammoth713; 11-16-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

I really like my Strano swaybars, totally change the way the car handles.

i was impressed how light they were and easy to install

i would either do the Stranos or UMI i dont think SS/WS6 bars will make much of a difference then now

Plus the strano bars came with very nice hardware and new endlinks and bushings, idk about the UMI ones...
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Red
    98 Trans Am

from what ive seen, i do believe the UMI ones come with new poly links and hardware.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you are thinking of new sway bars, you need to change both out at the same time to see the real advantage. They work together.

The major difference between the Strano and UMI is that Strano is hollow, so you get pretty good weight savings. If you're not going to the track and can afford the extra weight, I would just get the UMI stuff.

Life In The Fast Lane..!! redracer1's Avatar

Brickyard 400 Trac Car#10
    35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    If you are thinking of new sway bars, you need to change both out at the same time to see the real advantage. They work together.

The major difference between the Strano and UMI is that Strano is hollow, so you get pretty good weight savings. If you're not going to the track and can afford the extra weight, I would just get the UMI stuff.

^^^pretty much sums it up...of course I have the Strano's and had em PC Red for an extra $75 localy.

with that being said I believe Strano's bars have diff bends and radius' than stock or UMI, I dont know how much of a diff that might make also, you'd have to talk to Sam personally on that.

also I believe the new UMI Heavy Duty Aluminum Sway Bar Mount Kit is an extra charge..they go for $175 on there site and sold seperately.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Whats the weight difference between the two?

Life In The Fast Lane..!! redracer1's Avatar

Brickyard 400 Trac Car#10
    35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

I believe you save 18 -20 lbs with Sam's hollow sways vs the same size solid bars.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by redracer1 View Post
    I believe you save 18 -20 lbs with Sam's hollow sways vs the same size solid bars.
    well technically i saved 10-14 lbs with strano's springs, so i guess i can use the heavier UMI sway bars and still be the same weight.... hahaha

I am torn betwen buying just 2 point SFC's right now or 2 point SFC's AND sway bars..

many have said 3 pt vs 2 point SFC's arent really worth it unless you get a tunnel brace, etc.. which i dont plan on doing, so 2 point should be good right?

I basically want a street setup that I could take to a circuit if i had the opportunity or AutoX...
    my setup of:
    *Konis
    *Strano Springs
    *UMI Strut Tower brace
    *UMI PHB
    {additional}
    *UMI sway bars
    *UMI 2 Point SFCs

would accomplish this right?
    Last edited by mammoth713; 11-17-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

thats a good start. Make sure to get an adjustable PH rod and get some lower control arm relocation brackets too. You have a pretty good soild beginning for a weekend warrior DD car if you get all those items. Especialy with the Konis and sways. im going with a cheaper route myself with bilstiens, but still want the UMI swaybars. Those are my next buy.

silver
    1999 Z28

i have sams springs,swaybars, umi tq,lower control arm and PH. my next step is the konie yellows. i love the tight feeling of the car. But its not as tight as i would like it to.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Cruiser JR View Post
    i have sams springs,swaybars, umi tq,lower control arm and PH. my next step is the konie yellows. i love the tight feeling of the car. But its not as tight as i would like it to.
    the konis will help that

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    well technically i saved 10-14 lbs with strano's springs, so i guess i can use the heavier UMI sway bars and still be the same weight.... hahaha

I am torn betwen buying just 2 point SFC's right now or 2 point SFC's AND sway bars..

many have said 3 pt vs 2 point SFC's arent really worth it unless you get a tunnel brace, etc.. which i dont plan on doing, so 2 point should be good right?

I basically want a street setup that I could take to a circuit if i had the opportunity or AutoX...
    my setup of:
    *Konis
    *Strano Springs
    *UMI Strut Tower brace
    *UMI PHB
    {additional}
    *UMI sway bars
    *UMI 2 Point SFCs

would accomplish this right?
    no questions here...stranos ...weight matters ..and sam knows f bodies...on top of that you need a panhard bar period..if not that then a watts link if you are serious about circuit.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    thats a good start. Make sure to get an adjustable PH rod and get some lower control arm relocation brackets too. You have a pretty good soild beginning for a weekend warrior DD car if you get all those items. Especialy with the Konis and sways. im going with a cheaper route myself with bilstiens, but still want the UMI swaybars. Those are my next buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    no questions here...stranos ...weight matters ..and sam knows f bodies...on top of that you need a panhard bar period..if not that then a watts link if you are serious about circuit.
    I listed PHB.. I bought it to recenter the rear after i lowered it with the koni/strano setup...

milkman, do you own the strano sway bars?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    I listed PHB.. I bought it to recenter the rear after i lowered it with the koni/strano setup...

milkman, do you own the strano sway bars?
    nope..they are on my list. there is no question for me
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

I just installed my strano springs with blistines last weekend. Waiting on the strano swaybars to get back from PC had to get them red

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Cruiser JR View Post
    when you installed the swaybars did you notice a huge difference? did the car's handling change drastically as far as over-steer / under-steer?

Right after putting on my Strano sways the difference between my stock SS sways and his were remarkable! Of course, I'm used to them now, that is the way it goes. Regarding the price/weight dilemma: lower weight costs money. If the solid sways and the hollows were the same price, which would you buy, esp. if their resistance to twist was equal? I bet it would be the lighter stuff. You are looking for high perf. parts here. Save your money for another 6 months or whatever, and buy the lighter ones IMHO. If the hollows were 2x the price then maybe they are too exclusive/hp/purpose built etc. How about this- don't bankrupt yourself with this hobby either! Bottom line -stay within your budget, bottom line. Personally, I would pay more, within reason, for the "better" (lighter ) stuff. But I have the "mod sickness"...

White
    2001 Z28

Hey guys... I still swing by once in a while and of course if you have questions I'm always around to call.

Before I start, let me say a few things regarding the Strano vs. UMI bars. Many don't stop to think of this, but I do sell both--because I understand that some folks just want to spend less and will accept the differences in hardware, weight and shipping cost (you have to remember that 20 pounds difference is 20 more that has to ship!).

I have been making bars much longer than UMI. In fact when they started, you'll notice they use the same size I do. And in fact, Ryan asked me if I would have an issue with them doing those bars, that size (knowing that it's a combination I came up with) in solid form. I sell UMI products too, and I personally don't want to be bothered with having to stock twice as many of my own parts and all the overhead extra, and told him it didn't bother me. After all, if someone wants solid bars, I don't see it as a lost sale I can still supply them those bars.

Now, let's talk turkey... Bottom line is my bars weight a lot less, and cost $70 more than a set of UMI bars. But weigh some 20 pounds less. Do the math, you are paying about $.28 a pound to save that weight. Compare that to ANYTHING else that is available in lighter weight versions. Say CM SFC vs. mild steel. $100 difference for about a 5 pounds savings... There is no bigger bang for the buck on weight savings. And remember, every 100 pounds you carry in a drag race costs you about .1! These very same people will hundreds more to put lighter control arms on, or a K-member, and save less to maybe the same amount of weight. Just something to consider.

Finally, we use very different hardware. UMI supplies off the shelf Energy Suspension parts standard, I use hardware that comes from the bar manufacturer, Hellwig which is heavier duty. We use bigger bolts, bushings and steel brackets to hold those bushings. Also we supply quite different lubricating grease--I don't like or use that clear sticky stuff and use a grease called Accrolube which is actually, you know, slippery.

And finally, if you all want the UMI billet brackets, I can add those to my bars too....

Red
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS LE

I recommend giving Sam Strano a call and discussing what you want to get out of your car. I spoke to him several times prior to buying any parts. Personally I chose his hollow front bar and adjustable rear sway bar which at the time was only available solid and now is available hollow.
    Good Luck with your mods
    02 Camaro SS, 35th Anniversary Limited Edition #1021, 6-speed, T-Tops, 345HP SLP option, CME, 3.73's, J&M LCA's, UMI 3-pt SFC's, Strano springs, KONI SA's, Strano 35mm front sway bar, Hellwig adjustable rear sway bar, Hawk HPS, UMI adjustable PHB

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Hey guys... I still swing by once in a while and of course if you have questions I'm always around to call.

Before I start, let me say a few things regarding the Strano vs. UMI bars. Many don't stop to think of this, but I do sell both--because I understand that some folks just want to spend less and will accept the differences in hardware, weight and shipping cost (you have to remember that 20 pounds difference is 20 more that has to ship!).

I have been making bars much longer than UMI. In fact when they started, you'll notice they use the same size I do. And in fact, Ryan asked me if I would have an issue with them doing those bars, that size (knowing that it's a combination I came up with) in solid form. I sell UMI products too, and I personally don't want to be bothered with having to stock twice as many of my own parts and all the overhead extra, and told him it didn't bother me. After all, if someone wants solid bars, I don't see it as a lost sale I can still supply them those bars.

Now, let's talk turkey... Bottom line is my bars weight a lot less, and cost $70 more than a set of UMI bars. But weigh some 20 pounds less. Do the math, you are paying about $.28 a pound to save that weight. Compare that to ANYTHING else that is available in lighter weight versions. Say CM SFC vs. mild steel. $100 difference for about a 5 pounds savings... There is no bigger bang for the buck on weight savings. And remember, every 100 pounds you carry in a drag race costs you about .1! These very same people will hundreds more to put lighter control arms on, or a K-member, and save less to maybe the same amount of weight. Just something to consider.

Finally, we use very different hardware. UMI supplies off the shelf Energy Suspension parts standard, I use hardware that comes from the bar manufacturer, Hellwig which is heavier duty. We use bigger bolts, bushings and steel brackets to hold those bushings. Also we supply quite different lubricating grease--I don't like or use that clear sticky stuff and use a grease called Accrolube which is actually, you know, slippery.

And finally, if you all want the UMI billet brackets, I can add those to my bars too....

Good to know, i didnt know the weight savings was that much.

I installed the Strano swaybars on my friends WS6 and my SS and was very impressed with the quality and durability of the hardware, the brackets and hardware are MUCH beefier than stock.

I have installed all the suspension and chassis components on my car and i would say the Sway Bars were the biggest improvement then second the konis/strano springs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information