Thread: Bump Steer?!

Black
    01Formula

Question Bump Steer?!

I Got My 01forumla About 3 Months Ago, What Is Up With The Bump
    Steer ??the Car Feels Very Unstable On The Freeway When I Hit A Bump Or A Grove On The Road . I Work At A Shop So I Allready Inspected The Suspension And Steering For Any Defective Parts Like Ball Joints Or Tie Rod Ends All Were Ok Is There A Alignment Angle Like Raised Toe To Adjust For This ???

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I'll bet you have 17s with 275, not the 16s with 245s? It's normal with a stiff suspension car, but some are worse than others. SFCs and a STB will help alot

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

what is bump steer now?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

bump steer is when you hit a bump or dip in the road and the car jerks left/right due to the car jumping up/down. this is due to the tie rods not parallel with the lower control arm.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    01Formula

No I have the 16's

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

check the alignment. raise the caster to 5.00 left and 5.50 right. put camber at 0* to -0.50* both sides. toe set at 0.06* total.

red
    98 ss

I have the same problem with my 98 ss it has the stock decarbon shocks and springs. I just bought this car two months ago with 27,000 miles on it and every time i go around a corner on the highway and hit a bump the whole car sways. About three years ago I had a 98 ss also but it had the slp bilstein eibach suspension option and that car never did that. The ss I have now doesnt have that option so I was thinking of buying that setup from slp and see what happens.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by joe98redss
    I have the same problem with my 98 ss it has the stock decarbon shocks and springs. I just bought this car two months ago with 27,000 miles on it and every time i go around a corner on the highway and hit a bump the whole car sways. About three years ago I had a 98 ss also but it had the slp bilstein eibach suspension option and that car never did that. The ss I have now doesnt have that option so I was thinking of buying that setup from slp and see what happens.
    I have the same factory setup on my 98 WS6, and I think all 4 of my "decarbon" shocks are shot. Haven't noticed the car swaying from bumps, but if I hit a bump, the back end bounces up and down and even bottoms out sometimes.

So I ordered 4 new Bilstein performance shocks, hopefully it will be much better.

Thread Information