Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Brakes

This is a discussion on Brakes within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by shady milkman drilled was used back when brake pad tech was using some old material (cant remember ...

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    drilled was used back when brake pad tech was using some old material (cant remember the compounds..i think asbestos) now with new brake pad technology those "gases" can evacuate much better and wear much better with slots. mind you for heat dissipation..more surface area is better than less.

also to let you know many of the manufactures ..porsche especially comes to mind..has stated they only offer drilled rotors anymore because of user demand(aka the look)

as for the ferrari fxx and the zr1..their rotors are carbon ceramic...so there might be some differences in evacuation and such than normal rotors.
    also take a look at the c6.r's rotors

Click for full size
    Well noted... now, in racing don't they require the rotors to be solid to avoid room for unfair advantages (i.e. different patterns, etc)? I known in NASCAR they keep everything at a standard in order to keep everyone close to the same and to minimize cheating.

I get what you're saying though. I had always thought like I said they helped heat dissipation. If it doesn't then I guess it would be for looks. I've been eyeballing the Decela because it does look impressive, but also because it has had a good reputation. I am aware that some straight drilled rotors will crack and hurt rotor life, but this one has both (slots & drilled).
    Last edited by AKA Speedy; 08-04-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: clarification

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    Well noted... now, in racing don't they require the rotors to be solid to avoid room for unfair advantages (i.e. different patterns, etc)? I known in NASCAR they keep everything at a standard in order to keep everyone close to the same and to minimize cheating.

I get what you're saying though. I had always thought like I said they helped heat dissipation. If it doesn't then I guess it would be for looks. I've been eyeballing the Decela because it does look impressive, but also because it has had a good reputation. I am aware that some straight drilled rotors will crack and hurt rotor life, but this one has both (slots & drilled).
    get the decelas ..they are fine..i just wanted to make sure you werent buying them just because you thought the drilled would be beneficial.

on the c6 ..no they use solids and slotted because they perform better in terms of heavy braking and such.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

get the decelas ..they are fine..i just wanted to make sure you werent buying them just because you thought the drilled would be beneficial.

on the c6 ..no they use solids and slotted because they perform better in terms of heavy braking and such.
    thanks milkman

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

2 afternoons down. just got done with the front rotors and pads. My rears are on back order for another 3 weeks.

issues with the fronts. after 70k on the car and an uncertain history of brake maintenance I found my lower slide pin on both sides severely corroded. The driver side pin closest to the cabin is totally locked up and won't budge. I managed to break the one on the passenger side loose and I'll go to the dealership and order new ones. looks like I will have to get a new bracket for the driver side since I can not remove the pin. I've tried everything. all the way to soaking the thing in rust remover last night. No progress.

Has anyone else bothered to check their slide pins when conducting brake maintenance?

silver
    2000 formula

pins should be checked everytime.......mine were froze when i did mine

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    pins should be checked everytime.......mine were froze when i did mine
    thats what I thought.

I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow morning to get a driver-side bracket and 2 slide pins.

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

i got dimpled and slotted love those things

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by cancam99ss View Post
    i got dimpled and slotted love those things
    mine have been awesome so far, but I haven't really driven the car too much since the slide pin is seized up on the driver side. I just ordered a bracket and pins this morning, so it should be remedied.

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

My buddy is a metalurgist,,,he gave me a long winded story of slotted and or drilled,,,

His tech thoughts,,

IF the rotors are NOT made of real good grade high temp able metals,,,then drilled holes in it does its job for what drilled holes are intended to offer,,but over time they simply create a weakness and the holes cause cracks,,,etc etc..degradation follows,,,
    So slotted would be best unless you simply buy the best rotors out there,,$$$$$

as far as slotted mid ranged priced rotors,,,the slotts do a good job at what there intended for,,,but for the extra price they to are a little pointless since weather you buy mid ranged rotors that are slotted or low end rotors that are non slotted,,they are hit or miss due to the variations in the rotors metal quality,,,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information