Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

BMR Torque arm issues.......

This is a discussion on BMR Torque arm issues....... within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; ^^^...

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

^^^

silver
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Welcome to the site, Stuart! You must be pretty desperate for friends if you're hanging out with Trevor.
    Trevor is a very trusted friend... He has been really helpful since I bought his car and I hope I have convinced him that
    i will take good care of it.. I think I do ! It looks a bit different now..If i could work out how to put pictures on here I would !

I usually hang out at LS1 Tech but will visit here for more often for more useful info !

In the meantime how do I put pictures on here??

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My BMR Trac-pak torque arm works just fine and I'm lowered.
    It's on jackstands.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Upload your pics to a free photo sharing site like Photobucket or Image Shack. Then simply copy and paste the [IMG] code for the pic into your post on here.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Not sure how much different the style, mounting points, and position the Sphon adjustable torque arm with drive shaft safety loop is compared to the BMR, but that's what I have. It seems to fit well, but I do have some fitment issues that still need to be worked out. I get a clunk even now and then. It isn't the arm hitting on the car bottom, but rather the front of the arm rotating on the front pivot point, possibly maxing out of forward/backward movement.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

silver
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    Not sure how much different the style, mounting points, and position the Sphon adjustable torque arm with drive shaft safety loop is compared to the BMR, but that's what I have. It seems to fit well, but I do have some fitment issues that still need to be worked out. I get a clunk even now and then. It isn't the arm hitting on the car bottom, but rather the front of the arm rotating on the front pivot point, possibly maxing out of forward/backward movement.
    Have you checked the front clam shell bolts on the trans. The front of the TA was really close to one of the bolt heads where it pokes out of the poly bush. That used to give a clunk now and then as well as hitting the E-brake bracket.
    Kooks LT's /Magnaflow cats/SLP Y pipe. Ed Wright tune. BMR LCA's/Relocation brackets and torque arm. Lowered on BMR/Viking springs. Viking DA coilovers. Baer Claw 14" rotor big brake kit. 19" MRR GT1 rims

silver
    2000 trans am

At last I can upload pictures !
    I've had the car a while since I bought it off Trevor and its changed quite a bit. Trev is a master fabricater and made the PCM and power steering pump covers as in the pictures, he also retrimmed the rear seat area sides in gray leather. I retrimmed the rest of the seats/interior and did all the other mods in my signature below ! [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Kooks LT's /Magnaflow cats/SLP Y pipe. Ed Wright tune. BMR LCA's/Relocation brackets and torque arm. Lowered on BMR/Eibach springs. Viking DA coilovers. Baer Claw 14" rotor big brake kit. 19" MRR GT1 rims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pict4098.jpg   pict4097.jpg  
    Last edited by weslp00; 11-03-2015 at 05:25 AM.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

The "trans" you are speaking of is the transmission? The SPOHN torque arm mounts onto it's own tunnel brace that replaced the factory tunnel brace, which is no where near the transmission. If you go to the SPOHN website you can see what I mean. They have a few pictures of it mounted on the car. Mine is the 405 model.
    Last edited by RONS98TA; 11-03-2015 at 05:06 AM.

silver
    2000 trans am

Ron,
    My BMR TA is totally differnent to yours as in it mounts on the transmission (trans) tail shaft as in the factory style. It uses the same clam shell mount with a better poly bushing but is not as strong as the alternative mount that is attached to a cross member/brace like yours.

Kooks LT's /Magnaflow cats/SLP Y pipe. Ed Wright tune. BMR LCA's/Relocation brackets and torque arm. Lowered on BMR/Eibach springs. Viking DA coilovers. Baer Claw 14" rotor big brake kit. 19" MRR GT1 rims
    Last edited by weslp00; 11-03-2015 at 05:43 AM.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Yep, that's kinda what I thought. I know my TA mount is stronger than factory, but it Def translates vibrations a lot more than having it mounted in the factory location. Sometimes it's the self inflicted things we do to our cars that will cause the biggest headaches. LOL

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Loving the interior work stu. I remember when trev 1st got his current f-body he said he did the same work in the interior as his old car that he sold to you. It looks absolutely amazing. I can't imagine the time it took to do all that work. I know he's pretty meticulous.

silver
    2000 trans am

Talking

Yes Ron, Trevor gets the credit for the rear side panels.. ingenious idea for covering that blank area by the arm rests. Turned out really well!
    Before that I had recovered the front and rear seats myself, changed the door panel trims to the same pattern as the seats.
    Then re-covered the console arm rest and shifter handle, front door arm rests and when all that was done got some of the interior dash panels "carbon-fiberised"..
    What a mare getting it all out of the car. The best bit was getting the steering wheel off to recover it in leather.. do you know that the air bag in the steering wheel is catigorised as "ordnance"..ie a bomb

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

As a matter of fact I do. I used to work at a Saturn car dealership. Once a month we would have a "new car owners " seminar. They would set an airbag off, to show just how violent they are in action. The bag jumps a good 10 feet in the air!!! Lol Scares the people into wearing their seat belt.

silver
    2000 trans am

LOL !! Yes I know what you mean..loads of airbag pranks on Utube.. when I took mine off I locked in a steel filing cabinet just in case !

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

After the airbag is unplugged from a power source, I don't think they are as likely to go off. In fact, I rebuilt a chevy cavalier that was involved in a front end collision. I found both air bags and control module on ebay. They were shipped UPS! If you have ever had anything shipped UPS, you will understand what I mean about them being pretty safe to NOT go off. LOL

silver
    2000 trans am

i think the online instructions for Firebird airbag removal said remove airbag after electrical disconnection and point base of bag away from you as it now a free agent and not bolted to anything so can cuase bodily injury and/or death. Place it in a strong container whilst in storage... Scary !!
    I got my steering wheel covered in double quick time after that to get it back in the car and back to normal !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information