Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

BMR shock tower brace. is it worth $30+ for the chrome moly?

This is a discussion on BMR shock tower brace. is it worth $30+ for the chrome moly? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Hey, I just installed one from BMR, I used a socket wrench on the outer 2 bolts and a wrench ...

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

strut bar

Hey, I just installed one from BMR, I used a socket wrench on the outer 2 bolts and a wrench on the inner 2. You pretty much have to use a wrench or pair of pliers on the inside bolts due to space restraints( unless you have a real "small" socket wrench). I was also wondering about the tighgtness of the inner bolts since I only used a wrench to tighten them as best as I could. Could this lead to poor results from the strut bar??? once I start driving. I have heard so many damn mixed results from people.

white
    2002 z28

i posted this thread almost a month ago after my install and all i did was tightedn them as tight as i could on both innner/outer. a good way to tell if you tightned your inner one up is to match how many threads the outer one has, soon as they are equal youll be fine.

and for the perfoormance part of it. i know it helped on turns and body deflection soo i know there in right. good luck

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

One more Q

Great White

Did you use those washers that came with it? With the washers "On" I had almost no tread left, and did not feel comfortable having the nut so close to almost "coming off" of the bolt. Without the washers it still feels very tight-but I havent drove it yet.

JR.

white
    2002 z28

dont worry, after reading your commit i looked at mine and noticed the same thing. heres a pic of mine to show that its cool to drive. on mine i dont think i have no threads showing, but yes you have to use the washers cause i think bmr has to big of a hole. glad to help you out and just drive your car and fill the difference
    Last edited by greatwhiteZ28; 09-03-2007 at 07:11 PM.

white
    2002 z28

damm ANN ARBOR, let me now if thats MI. where abouts are you i drive there everyday being that im a truck driver but man your in the party central

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Hey, I just installed one from BMR, I used a socket wrench on the outer 2 bolts and a wrench on the inner 2. You pretty much have to use a wrench or pair of pliers on the inside bolts due to space restraints( unless you have a real "small" socket wrench). I was also wondering about the tighgtness of the inner bolts since I only used a wrench to tighten them as best as I could. Could this lead to poor results from the strut bar??? once I start driving. I have heard so many damn mixed results from people.
    you're fine... as long as it's reasonably tight. the strut bar does nothing for handling, although it stiffens about the front.
    nice piece... and great to lean on while working under the hood.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

Strut reply

I didnt use the washers that came with it, I just made sure the nuts where in contact with the actual strut bar mounting plate(kinda of a pain in the ass ) and tightened the hell out of them.
    Now that I have driven the car with the bar on, I agree with both sides of this boring argument. You will NOT feel a difference during normal driving (except the steering felt a "little" more in line(straight)), BUT when I made sharp turns (even a pretty low speeds) - I definately felt a difference- Definately less "roll" during sharp turns. I can see what all the people were talking about when they said no big difference, you really have to hit the gas and take some good turns if you really want to feel the effect. All in all I'm glad I bought it because I did notice alot of roll with the F-bodies during turns before I put the bar on. Oh well "To each his own"
    Also I dont know what youre talking about Great White when you said Ann Arbor ,Mi is party central, personally I cant stand it. Detroit is the place to be in Michigan. Ann Arbor completely blows in my opinion(but dont take this response personally) it just shocked me that some people actually like this shit hole.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information