Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Binding/scrubbing in front tires when turning

Here's the issue, I got a new k-member put in that was originally for a manual steering rack, but the shop just swapped out the brackets, and put my pwr steering rack on... since then I've noticed that backing out of my driveway the front wheels don't want to allow smooth movement as I turn, they want to either jump (scrub against pavement), or at least slow me down considerably like I'm putting light pressure on the brake. Has anyone ever had this issue, and if so, please advise!!!
    Also, I have had an alignment done, the rear end was just completely rebuilt, and it sometimes causes problems when I turn coming from a stop sign. It always seems like if I have to turn the wheel a half turn or more it wants to bind up, and takes extra effort for the car to go... sometimes even spin the rear tires a bit just trying to push the front end, but once I straighten up a bit, and get moving it's not such a problem. This is one thing that has caused me problems since I first took the car to the shop, but never noticed it before... In all fairness I only drove it about four times between buying it and taking it to the shop. Thank you all in advance!

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i had the same problem untill i got my car re-aligned. did you get a print out from the place that did the alignment?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Did the brackets they swapped out just bolt in or did they have to be welded?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    i had the same problem untill i got my car re-aligned. did you get a print out from the place that did the alignment?
    No, I didn't, but I have every intention of going back, this all ties into my long story I keep having to repeat, but I do feel as though I have every reason to go back, and have them check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Did the brackets they swapped out just bolt in or did they have to be welded?
    They cut off the old brackets for the manual rack, and welded on the pwr steering brackets, so it was all customized...

One update I do have is that I swapped out to my skinnier wheels/tires (15x6's), and it still has the same problem, it slows me down as I back out of the driveway, just not as noticeable. I think the only reason why it got better is because there isn't as much grip there to work against gravity (driveway slopes downhill).

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by hot93rod View Post
    They cut off the old brackets for the manual rack, and welded on the pwr steering brackets, so it was all customized...
    I wonder if the car is getting unwanted bumpsteer?

but that's the thing... it does it at very low speeds, we already checked the alignment of the tie rods to the a-arms, and they are very close to being parallel as it is sitting w/the wheels pointed straight. Is it possible for the steering rack to be bad that it goes off as I turn? That is the only thing I can think of if the alignment shop says the alignment is actually good...

Stock
    2002 Camaro

but that's the thing... it does it at very low speeds, we already checked the alignment of the tie rods to the a-arms, and they are very close to being parallel as it is sitting w/the wheels pointed straight. Is it possible for the steering rack to be bad that it goes off as I turn? That is the only thing I can think of if the alignment shop says the alignment is actually good...
    Where did you get the alignment done at? what knd of alignment? i know that there are still some shops that dont have the lazer alignmet machines. I know That Fire Stone does a pretty good job and for 139.99 it a lifetime alignment. so if you wanted you could get it re-aligned every day. cuz i had the same issue, felt like my front tires were binding up at slow speeds while turning. Good Luck

Where did you get the alignment done at? what knd of alignment? i know that there are still some shops that dont have the lazer alignmet machines. I know That Fire Stone does a pretty good job and for 139.99 it a lifetime alignment. so if you wanted you could get it re-aligned every day. cuz i had the same issue, felt like my front tires were binding up at slow speeds while turning. Good Luck
    Well for that price I would certainly hope it is a lifetime alignment! Almost 3 times the cost of an alignment elsewhere. Even though I was forced to pay 100, because my mechanic decided to be generous w/my money, and only told me after the fact... "because it has a tubular k-member, and it was tougher for him to do the alignment". That is enough to annoy me, when the price I was told was 55. Anyway, yeah, I have every intention of getting a lifetime alignment out of them, it is a local tire shop. I'm not sure what the difference is between laser, and what everyone else uses though...

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Well for that price I would certainly hope it is a lifetime alignment! Almost 3 times the cost of an alignment elsewhere. Even though I was forced to pay 100, because my mechanic decided to be generous w/my money, and only told me after the fact... "because it has a tubular k-member, and it was tougher for him to do the alignment". That is enough to annoy me, when the price I was told was 55. Anyway, yeah, I have every intention of getting a lifetime alignment out of them, it is a local tire shop. I'm not sure what the difference is between laser, and what everyone else uses though...
    Did They call you first to let you know that it was gunna be more money? If not, they cant charge you for it. i have had that problem once and i just told them that if they didnt fix my car for the price i approved, i was gunna call BAR. When i went in to get my alignment done i would have only been $70 for a one timer, and i have BMR tubular k-member and A-arms. no issues!

Did They call you first to let you know that it was gunna be more money? If not, they cant charge you for it. i have had that problem once and i just told them that if they didnt fix my car for the price i approved, i was gunna call BAR. When i went in to get my alignment done i would have only been $70 for a one timer, and i have BMR tubular k-member and A-arms. no issues!
    What's BAR? Is that like Better Business Bureau? I keep forgetting, but when it comes to the first of the year, I'm going to have to make it a resolution to get my car in there for a realignment. You're thinking the same as me, I'll have no problem w/them keeping the $100, as long as they give me a print out of the alignment, and I can be assured it's correct...

Stock
    2002 Camaro

What's BAR? Is that like Better Business Bureau? I keep forgetting, but when it comes to the first of the year, I'm going to have to make it a resolution to get my car in there for a realignment. You're thinking the same as me, I'll have no problem w/them keeping the $100, as long as they give me a print out of the alignment, and I can be assured it's correct...

Bureau Of Automotive Repair! they are crazy. i used to work at a dealership and when they come in, they are not nice. Because for me it was a day and night difference getting it re-aligned after the first shop screwed it up. good luck!

Well I guess that's a nice one to keep in my back pocket, never even heard of it. Is it a federal agency then? Kinda wish I would've known that a while ago, lol.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

This scares me since I have tubular suspension to put it..

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    The best thing you can do is ask the shop if they're capable, and experienced w/that sort of thing first... If they say yes, and are confident, well, then you heard it from them, so if anything goes wrong, you can always remind them, hey you said "...". Don't get too worried! lol

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    But ive got all Tubular Suspension to and mine came out fine. but that wasnt untill 2 alignments and a huge headache later. good luck

what was the huge headache from?

Stock
    2002 Camaro

what was the huge headache from?
    I did all the install my self, and ya know how that goes. theres always something. i just had a hell of a time getting the k-member in while a jack was holding up the engine, so no room for a jack for the k-member (2 hour bench press lol) and then getting the motor mounts to line up. but worth it in the end! for sure.

lol, yeah, I guess it's a good thing that was all done at a shop, brings me back to the old days of all the conflicts my friend and I always had w/my cars, haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information