Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bilstein HD's VS SLP Bilstein

This is a discussion on Bilstein HD's VS SLP Bilstein within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by 00camaro16 so why do people suggest to use 3rd gen rear shocks. do they work? do they ...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 00camaro16 View Post
    so why do people suggest to use 3rd gen rear shocks. do they work? do they work better? thanks I'm doing my shocks soon and are looking at SLP Bilsteins,
    People get the 3rd gen Koni rear shocks cuz they're cheaper than the 4th gen rear shocks.

Reason? The 4th gen rear shocks can be adjusted without taking off the tires. You can adjust them behind the back seat while the 3rd gen Koni's you'll have to take off the tires to do the same thing.

I like the convenience of not having to take off the fucking tires so I got the 4th gen Koni's

And if you want great performance with your Strano springs then get the Koni's.

if you want better than stock but don't want to pay for the Koni's then really the Tokiko's and KYB's and Bilstein's are about the same.

Strano springs drop your car thereby lessening wheel travel so you need a GOOD shock to be able to take the abuse and really, the Koni's are the best of the bunch by FAR.

see if there's someone in your area with a lowered car and aftermarket springs and ask for a test drive, and have PLEASE find someone who's got lowered springs and the Koni's, you'll see a HUGE difference I promise you.

with my first 4th-gen I listened to everybody and got the Eibach prokits and Bilstein HD's cuz they said that my car's handling would be like night and day compared to stock...they were right but it still drove harsh and it was kinda squirrely in the twisties.

I replaced the Bilstein's with either Tokiko's or KYB AGX's, forgot which ones(doesn't matter really) and they weren't much better than the Bilstein's.

I sold the 93 and bought my current '01 and I got the GC coilover kit and the Koni DA's and FUCK WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

Koni shocks are the GREATEST if you want a great handling canyon carver.
    Koni's...there are no substitutes.

Black
    2001 WS6

ok but whats the ride like with the strano springs and slp bilsteins compared to the bilstein hd's?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    ok but whats the ride like with the strano springs and slp bilsteins compared to the bilstein hd's?
    they're about the same.

SLP "claims" their Bilsteins are revalved to be more responsive compared to the regular off the shelf HD's, but apparently that's only for the fronts and even then the SLP ones are barely more responsive if that. The rear SLP/Bilstein's are basically the same as the rear HD's.

Oh wait, I do recall that recently(within 3 years) Bilstein revalved the HD's making them even SOFTER than what they were before!!!

having spongy shocks on a lowered 4th-gen is TERRIBLE...unless you wanna use your car strictly for the drags.

Dude!!!

Sam's "revalved" Bilsteins are a VERY special shock!!!

Sam HIMSELF revalves the Bilstein HD shocks to MATCH whatever spring you get, they are in a class by themselves!

Definitely cheaper than the Koni's but non-adjustable.
    There are a few folks on tech and ls2.com who have these special Bilsteins and they are VERY happy with them...

WAY different then the SLP/Bilstein's or the Bilstein HD's.

Got it?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Also ONLY Sam Strano does this to the Bilstein HD's.
    If he's still doing them then those are gonna be GREAT shocks...non-adjustable though.
    AND if you happen to decide to change the springs, well guess what??? These special Strano/Bilstein's may need to be revalved to match the new springrate.

Does that make sense?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

well i know i dont want a harsh ride.. A buddy of mine had eibach pro kit on his car, and it was almost unbearable. There's some good canyon carving roads out here. From my understanding, the slp bilsteins are a little more for daily driving.
    Eibach springs are not to blame for that harsh ride.
    it's the shocks that truly dictate how responsive the car is going to be.
    What kind of shocks did this guy have?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Oh yeah, and also, the off-the-shelf Bilstein HD's & SLP/Bilstein shocks are NOT meant for lowered cars, they even say so on their website.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

the SLP/Bilstein's were "supposedly" designed to handle the optional SLP springs that were offered in the Option 1 suspension package...and BTW, those special SLP springs were made by Eibach, they're not even as firm as the Eibach prokit springs.

and also, let me say this AGAIN, it's not the springs fault for giving a harsh ride, it's the shocks.

Hundred bucks says that most folkd who start modding their 4th-gens just want it to be lowered and keep their factory POS deCarbons and complain that their ride is HORRIBLE and it's the springs fault.

WRONG.

Black
    2001 WS6

the guy i knew had bilstein shocks, i cant remember which kind. Sam's exact words" I can't really agree. HD's and SLP's are best left to spring rates around what they were designed for. SLP's valving is a bit more firm than HD's, but even then it's not a ton as SLP springs aren't as stiff or low on average as aftermarket lowering springs. Those SLP suspensions were sold through GM and as such couldn't piss anyone off. Example: Level 1 springs are 300-450 rate, mine are 550 in front. And there are stiffer like LT1 Pro-kit.

When new the shocks do an ok job. But as the miles go on and you ask them to damp a spring rate that's a good bit higher than intended, and you ask them to do it in *less* range (shocks work by moving a piston through oil) then the damping will eventually be overwhelmed.

I sell a lot of Bilstein's, but for a long term solution Koni's are better. That said, I'd have to recommend SLP Bilstein's over HD's for two reasons. 1. Price as the SLP's are less costly to the door. 2. The valving is slightly tweaked for a stiffer than stock spring, even if not spring rates like I use, when compared to HD versions.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

the guy i knew had bilstein shocks, i cant remember which kind. Sam's exact words" I can't really agree. HD's and SLP's are best left to spring rates around what they were designed for. SLP's valving is a bit more firm than HD's, but even then it's not a ton as SLP springs aren't as stiff or low on average as aftermarket lowering springs. Those SLP suspensions were sold through GM and as such couldn't piss anyone off. Example: Level 1 springs are 300-450 rate, mine are 550 in front. And there are stiffer like LT1 Pro-kit.

When new the shocks do an ok job. But as the miles go on and you ask them to damp a spring rate that's a good bit higher than intended, and you ask them to do it in *less* range (shocks work by moving a piston through oil) then the damping will eventually be overwhelmed.

I sell a lot of Bilstein's, but for a long term solution Koni's are better. That said, I'd have to recommend SLP Bilstein's over HD's for two reasons. 1. Price as the SLP's are less costly to the door. 2. The valving is slightly tweaked for a stiffer than stock spring, even if not spring rates like I use, when compared to HD versions.
    Hey sam would know.

good deal, enjoy the SLP/Bilstein's

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Sorry, but Sam Strano doesn't do custom re-valved bilsteins anymore, I think it's been at least a couple of years at least since he has done re-valved bilsteins.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information