Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Bilstein HD and lowering springs

Ok so I finished installing my new bilsteins HD's from ws6 store. I have stock springs in the rear and eibachs in the front. So far i like the ride. I want to get something clear. Can Bilsteins HD be used with eibach or other aftermarket springs? I keep reading that bilsteins HD are designed for stock springs and only the SLP bilsteins are for lowering springs.

I did noticed the box that ws6 store sent me it had SLP tape all over it. the individual boxes for the rear springs had SLP tape as well. The front ones were sealed with regular transparent tape. I don't think the kit i got from
    ws6store is revalved or SLP since they sell a SLP kit with eibach springs. I did contact them and they told me that the HD can be used with with aftermarket springs and there is not a big difference between the HD's or the SLP besides they come with the springs. Anyone has heard the same?

I just want to make sure the front shocks are going to last. If they are no designed for eibachs then I will install OEM springs. Not that I don't trust ws6store but I never purchased from them before. Thanks.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-03-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

The SLP bilsteins and HD bilsteins are actually the same thing one is just made for SLP so what you have are slp bilsteins. If the box has SLP tape on it then they are the slp bilsteins. So to answer your question, yes you can use lowering springs on them. I have slp bilsteins with vogtland springs. I have been told the same as you by the WS6 store and other people.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 07-04-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks. how long you had the setup? I do DD with my car.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Thanks. how long you had the setup? I do DD with my car.
    I have had it for about six months or so and I did DD my car when I first put it on.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    The SLP bilsteins and HD bilsteins are actually the same thing one is just made for SLP so what you have are slp bilsteins. If the box has SLP tape on it then they are the slp bilsteins. So to answer your question, yes you can use lowering springs on them. I have slp bilsteins with vogtland springs. I have been told the same as you by the WS6 store and other people.
    Yes, I also was confused at first between the two.SLP no longer re-valves the Bilsteins. I got Strano springs and SLP packaged shocks from Steve and he told me they're both the same. Actually I believe the biggest part of your lowering will show up in the rear. IMO the front springs are not as much of a drop. That's the way I see it after my install. Also I think you would want to have matching spring mfg's front to back.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    Yes, I also was confused at first between the two.SLP no longer re-valves the Bilsteins. I got Strano springs and SLP packaged shocks from Steve and he told me they're both the same. Actually I believe the biggest part of your lowering will show up in the rear. IMO the front springs are not as much of a drop. That's the way I see it after my install. Also I think you would want to have matching spring mfg's front to back.
    Thanks for the input. I tried lowering spring on the rear 2 yrs ago. The car was scraping alot on speedbumps and was bottoming out. So i put brand new OEM ones. I had dropped the front and took it to get it aligned. Now of course i didn't had the bilsteins back then to compare the rear springs. So far so good with the bilsteins I really like the ride. The front springs are still eibachs and they are not too bad. I'm trying them out for a bit. I might put OEM's back to see if it feels better. I don't race or do track time. I know is not a comfortable ride but I'm trying to make it as nice as possible. I'm also thinking that if i do headers it might be too low. I know is like 1.5 inches but it can make a difference.

Black/ Silver

I am lowered 1.2" and I can fit a coke can under my headers for sure but my exhaust is really tucked up there.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I am lowered 1.2" and I can fit a coke can under my headers for sure but my exhaust is really tucked up there.
    which headers do you have? nvm i read your signature. OBX's. hey did you bought the vogtland springs here in the US?
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-07-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Black/ Silver

which headers do you have? nvm i read your signature. OBX's. hey did you bought the vogtland springs here in the US?
    I got the vogtland springs from the WS6store, so yes.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's pretty good. Have you actually done this or just guessing? I am lowered 1.2" with Stranos and I have Kooks headers which tuck up real tight and at the lowest point of my collector I only have about 3/4 of a pop can clearance.

I've never scrapped or bottomed out either.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black/ Silver

I would have to double check but I believe when I first put them on a coke can did fit.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    That's pretty good. Have you actually done this or just guessing? I am lowered 1.2" with Stranos and I have Kooks headers which tuck up real tight and at the lowest point of my collector I only have about 3/4 of a pop can clearance.

I've never scrapped or bottomed out either.
    I've got the identical set up as Jon. I've got to tell you that when I was under the car the other day there is a very impressive, professionally done scrape that goes from the end of the Y Pipe all the way back to the rear axle. So, you've gotta, or I gotta, be mindful of wide speed bumps and raised driveway entrances.
    I'm assuming that a beer can is also ok to use ?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I believe they are the same height. I'm always careful driving up or backing out of driveways. I rarely drive over speed bumps, but I have and I cleared. My cross-member to my torque arm used to hit on things after I was lowered as it had a large dip in it where the exhaust went through it for clearance. The dip wasn't needed though so I heated the bar and straightened it. I haven't scraped on anything since. As you know, mine is not driven daily and when it is, I'm usually on smoother city roads and the highways.

I also back out of my driveway slow as the curb is raised pretty good. I bet if I left the driveway hard I might hit. I'll post a pic of my current clearance here shortly.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Clearance up front of the intercooler piping, head unit and intake:

Lowest point of the exhaust:

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Hey question about clearances since we are talking about it. I have the OEM 16inch 5 spoke wheels. If I have lowering springs will it cause a fitment issue if I put 17 inch wheels like the ones on the WS6 model?

Black/ Silver

Hey question about clearances since we are talking about it. I have the OEM 16inch 5 spoke wheels. If I have lowering springs will it cause a fitment issue if I put 17 inch wheels like the ones on the WS6 model?
    No it won't. I have 20 inch wheels and I am still fine. I will take a picture of rear wheel clearance since the front is in the air.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i was more concern with the front clearance. The rears have plenty of room.

Black/ Silver

i was more concern with the front clearance. The rears have plenty of room.
    Here are some pictures of the front. You can fit about a hand maybe two between it and the fender. For some reason the drivers side is lower, I haven't had an alignment since I have done shocks/springs maybe that is.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have Bilsteins and Eibach's and I do not have any trouble with ground clearence.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information