Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Best shocks/struts

This is a discussion on Best shocks/struts within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Not really looking for handling as much as a good ride and good stance. Gonna try the revalved Bilsteins....

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Not really looking for handling as much as a good ride and good stance.

Gonna try the revalved Bilsteins.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Not really looking for handling as much as a good ride and good stance.

Gonna try the revalved Bilsteins.

well shocks and struts dont effect the stance or ride height. Just controls bounce.

And the lower you drop, the more bouncey a car can get, and you will feel the bumps a bit more.

I personally would not go more than 1.5" drop.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I have the Eibach ProKit on the car already.

Stance is great, ride sucks. That is what I am looking to improve.

Click for full size

Click for full size

I wonder if BMR's are good? I'd be interested in checking those out.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

BMR makes struts and shocks??

I am not changing the springs.
    I have looked at the Koni's, but I just cannot afford that right now.

oh.. BMR makes springs.. or used to. But You car is very low. It looks a little lower than mine. Not sure how much drop you have on it. But if you have a 2" drop, you're going to have to live with a rough ride unless you want to change the springs. I would leave a heavier duty strut on the front and put a lighter one on the rear. That might help a lot. But like I said, I have factory SS shocks on the rear of my car and its not harsh at all and there is no bounce at all. And thats all I want it to do. So you might be able to use KYB on the rear with no problem. I'm not sure with your drop if they would be ok on the front though.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Thanks!!
    ProKit is supposed to be a 1.2" drop. Pretty sure it is closer to 1.75".

3 or 4.
    Bumps are rough, but it could actually be worse. Cornering is great, but if you hit a bump...be ready for a ride. Smooth roads are fine, but if there are little 'waves' in the road it gets bad.
    Ride is REALLY bad when there is passengers in the back. Rarely happens, but it can be felt.
    The ProKit is one of the stiffest springs out there, thus the reason they require a strong strut/shock set-up.

I used to have a 96 black formula with bilstiens all the way around and a eibach pro kit. same springs I have now.. But that car skipped around on the back whenever you'd hit a bump and going in a curve and hitting a bump was really bad. The car wouldnt hold the ground in the rear. My camaro doesnt do that.. but like I said, I dont have bilstiens on the rear.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Kages99 View Post
    Mr. Slowass, you have 315's on the rears right, so do i. No problems with the drop or did you have to mod it ?
    I did have some minor rubbing when I first installed the springs and the wheels.

Once I got the LCA's and the brackets in they sat in the wheels great, no rubbing.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Nope.
    No hammering the body either.
    No rolling the fenders.

I have heard though that the TTII's fit better than most other 17x11 wheel.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I wasn't all that familiar with it either.
    Learned once I started playing around.

I believe the offset if a touch different from the ZR1's to the TTII's.

Couple more pics of the stance...
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

I can go down my sloped curb without scraping pretty easily. If I go straight off it, it does catch that radiator air dam.

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    IMO you don't need a shock that really resists a lot of movement unless you slam the car way low and its constantly bouncing. A 1" drop won't create a lot of bounce. I have factory SS shocks on the rear of my car, and it is has the eibach 1" to 1.5" drop kit. I dont remember how much drop I have now. And there is ZERO bounce in the rear. The front I have installed bilstein because there is more weight up there to control. However, I would avoid buying "Monroe heavy duty". Those are not heavy duty enough for an extreme drop. I know because I tried it. haha Its like the shock would not respond fast enough to the spring action. So if you want to save some money, just get some cheaper shocks for the rear and something more heavy duty for the front.

If you really want to elminate a lot of lean in the car when cornering, get a 35mm front anti-sway bar and the matching rear anti-sway bar. I removed my factory ones and oh my gosh! soooo much better. Drastic sotp difference.
    Hmm... I think you don't know what it is like to have good dampeners, because the stock deCarbons you have in the rear (even if they are the upgraded Bilsteins) can not dampen the higher spring rate of lowering springs. Shoot they do a terrible job with the stock springs!

Hey but whatever floats your boat; or rearend for that matter...

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Koni's are freaking expensive, no shit...... but that's the way to go, ha? ProKit and Koni's, to get the perf/comf. ride... As you can tell i don't know shit about suspension drops on F-bodies.. Lifted Trucks yes..
    I still am baffled by the "Koni's are expensive..." arguement. Shoot I have as much in tires as I do in my Koni's and I will have to replace the tires 50 times before touching the shocks again (especially with Koni's warranty)...

Shoot another 10k-20k miles before I have to replace my 315 Nitto DRs again! If I take it easy on them... (which isn't going to happen... hahah)

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

So what are you saying? Go with Koni's and ProKit? I want perf/comf. if posible.......
    It is what I would recommend at the very least if you want to go with the Pro-Kit. Koni's will work the best for handling, and if you are like me; you can tweak them (adjust them) for the personal touch and for track appearances!

Revalved Bilsteins will also work, but you just lose the adjustability if you find it isn't what you wanted or needed. All I am saying though it is your decision and your money, but my mind was made up when I compared the cost to the tires I was replacing at the same time and did a double take! The Koni's will be on our car long after I have ripped the Nittos to bare threads!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information