Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Best shocks for a smoother ride?

This is a discussion on Best shocks for a smoother ride? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 Without hi jacking the thread- I want to lower my car around 1.25" and want to ...

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Without hi jacking the thread- I want to lower my car around 1.25" and want to maintain a stock type ride-a little stiffer would be ok too. I want it to work correctly too. What would be the best combination of shocks/ springs to achieve this if possible?
    Thanks in advance.

Guys.... it's really not that simple. Putting lowering springs on that leave you with less working travel and higher springs rates aren't how you get a soft ride. Great shocks make the ride firm, but not harsh and many find the fact that it's less harsh to = better than stock ride. I agree, it's not squishier, it's firmer... but beats you up less on sharp hits. That's the shocks, and the shocks that do the best work are Koni's. I'll always recommend those over what else is around, and only back away from that if you just can't swing the money. You get what you pay for.

Strano Springs and Koni's give what I feel is the best driveability out there. That's why I did my springs, and it's why I team them with Koni's and when I sell Koni's supply all the setup information. It's not cheap. We can do cheap, but not get the same kind of results.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Guys.... it's really not that simple. Putting lowering springs on that leave you with less working travel and higher springs rates aren't how you get a soft ride. Great shocks make the ride firm, but not harsh and many find the fact that it's less harsh to = better than stock ride. I agree, it's not squishier, it's firmer... but beats you up less on sharp hits. That's the shocks, and the shocks that do the best work are Koni's. I'll always recommend those over what else is around, and only back away from that if you just can't swing the money. You get what you pay for.

Strano Springs and Koni's give what I feel is the best driveability out there. That's why I did my springs, and it's why I team them with Koni's and when I sell Koni's supply all the setup information. It's not cheap. We can do cheap, but not get the same kind of results.
    Thanks Sam! I will be going with Koni/Strano springs. The single adjustable Konis would work ok?

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Don't worry, this thread was hijacked a long time ago.
    Really...wasn't the thread about shocks

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I was asking about budget shocks, then it turned into a conversation about Bilstein and Koni, which are not budget shocks. Also, where did lowering springs come in, as I specifially stated I had no plans to ever lower my car.

Anyway, at least there was some good info here, and I appreciate Sam chiming in with his expertise.
    Last edited by StuntmanMike; 02-02-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

I was asking about budget shocks, then it turned into a conversation about Bilstein and Koni, which are not budget shocks.

That said, what's a good set of shocks that will give me the best possible ride?

Like I said, ride quality is my top priority, the car is basically a cruiser that might see some strip duty, but that's it.

Since when was this about budget shocks. You said "shocks that don't cost a fortune". Fortune = $1500+ to me when it comes to shocks. This thread has been right on topic. If ride quality is top priority, than tokicos and agx's aren't for you.
    Last edited by Speed Psychosis; 02-03-2008 at 05:29 PM.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    Since when was this about budget shocks. You said "shocks that don't cost a fortune". Fortune = $1500+ to me when it comes to shocks. This thread has been right on topic. If ride quality is top priority, than tokicos and agx's aren't for you.
    I agree- I dont see what the problem is with others asking a few questions-it is a forum by the way.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I agree- I dont see what the problem is with others asking a few questions-it is a forum by the way.
    I got your back....

White Liquid Silver

He's sensitive

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

I sell both... AGX's are $409 a set, Koni's start @ $770 a set.
    Thanks Sam for all of your help, I will have to get some $$$ together and give you a ring...

White Liquid Silver

I'm seriously thinking about the Koni's now and some new springs down the road so the wife doesn't kill me...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

hahahah ^ I am thinking Koni SA as well.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I sell both... AGX's are $409 a set, Koni's start @ $770 a set.
    What setting would you recommend to set the AGX's at when running the Eibach pro-kit with them?

White
    2001 Z28

Any recommendations like that are reserved for customers..... I can't give away all my secrets! Anytime I sell something, support comes with it including a primer on adjusting the shocks (whatever ones you pick). Many think it's just a matter of turning them up or down to see what's what. That's part of it, but also knowing what you are changing and how it effects the car is part of it too, and I go through that as well.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    What setting would you recommend to set the AGX's at when running the Eibach pro-kit with them?
    good question i have the same springs...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Any recommendations like that are reserved for customers..... I can't give away all my secrets! Anytime I sell something, support comes with it including a primer on adjusting the shocks (whatever ones you pick). Many think it's just a matter of turning them up or down to see what's what. That's part of it, but also knowing what you are changing and how it effects the car is part of it too, and I go through that as well.
    wow...............

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever View Post
    No, I have edlebrock IAS shocks... prevouisly i had SLP's...
    How long have you had the Edelbrocks? I was thinking of these, but then I had read some negative things about them not being very durable.

That kind of surprised me, my other car is a Jeep, and the Edelbrocks always have good things said about them on the Jeep boards.

Thanks.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

How long have you had the Edelbrocks? I was thinking of these, but then I had read some negative things about them not being very durable.

That kind of surprised me, my other car is a Jeep, and the Edelbrocks always have good things said about them on the Jeep boards.

Thanks.
    Sorry about not gettin back to you. I haven't ordered the shocks yet, and I'm probably gonna go with Kyb Gr-2 all around, but I'd like to know what Sam Strano thinks about them. I mean, I'll only be saving about $100 bucks over the Tockicos, so if they (the Tockicos) areTHAT much better why wouldn't I go with them for only a little bit more. I'm not looking to lower my car, and I want something that will perform as well or better than stock, without spending a bunch. Thanks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Sorry about not gettin back to you. I haven't ordered the shocks yet, and I'm probably gonna go with Kyb Gr-2 all around, but I'd like to know what Sam Strano thinks about them. I mean, I'll only be saving about $100 bucks over the Tockicos, so if they (the Tockicos) areTHAT much better why wouldn't I go with them for only a little bit more. I'm not looking to lower my car, and I want something that will perform as well or better than stock, without spending a bunch. Thanks.

Let me know what you find out, I'm looking for exactly the same thing.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Everyone I have talked to says Bilstein HDs or the SLP Bilsteins are AWSOME for stock height cars. They blow the KYBs off and they are like $420.00- If I stay stock height I will be getting them.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I am running your sway bar kit if that counts for anything! I have made quite a few referrals your way too. I'm going to be calling you about a brake setup in the near future also.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information