Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Best shocks for a smoother ride?

This is a discussion on Best shocks for a smoother ride? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Been reading with interest as this thread has gone about every which way.... Sounds to me like original poster wants ...

White
    2001 Z28

Been reading with interest as this thread has gone about every which way....

Sounds to me like original poster wants some good, decent, replacement shocks. I can't say for sure without speaking to a customer, but given the Bilstein mess and knowing the options that exist, I'd likely recommend a set of normal old Tokico's here @ $345 a set.

At this time I would not use a Bilstein. I would never use a BTS kit for his wants, let alone for "handling" because despite claims it's not really anything that's very good. The spring rate are too high for the shocks being used (and the rates are higher than I use on my springs). I am an SLP dealer... they don't even have shocks anyway, not that I'd use them being they are meant for the SLP springs. I also feel other shocks work better, even with the SLP springs.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Sam, thanks for the info.

You hit the nail on the head...I'm lookg for a good replacement shock.

I had lost interest in this thread once it got threadjacked and Koni vs. Bilstein came up. While I appreciate Koni is a good shock, it's just way more than what I want to spend right now. I'm not planning on modding the suspension at this time, I just want something better than the factory junk.

Thanks for the tip on the Tokico's, I'm going to look into those.

I'm also looking forward to hearing how 01WS6er makes out with the KYB's.

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

I'm also looking for a good replacement shock. Sam what springs would you reccomend with the tokico's? I'd like to lower the car slightly but maintain a comfortable ride if possible. I was looking at the bilsteins b/c they only lowered the car an inch.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by Joe00SS View Post
    What springs do you have?
    I have Eibach 1.25 drop springs and i love them and they drive and ride great....

White Liquid Silver

I just checked out your website, how about SP141 lowering springs? I'll give you a call tomorrow.

White Liquid Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever View Post
    I have Eibach 1.25 drop springs and i love them and they drive and ride great....
    Thanks man! Your car looks great, nice stance!

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

The Eibach are $249, i forgot to add that...

White Liquid Silver

The Eibach are $249, i forgot to add that...
    Are you running stock shocks?

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Are you running stock shocks?
    No, I have edlebrock IAS shocks... prevouisly i had SLP's...

White Liquid Silver

How do you like the edlebrocks compared to the SLP's? My car is stock with 50k miles so I'm thinking its due for a new set...?

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

How do you like the edlebrocks compared to the SLP's? My car is stock with 50k miles so I'm thinking its due for a new set...?
    the edlebrocks are awesome and handle and ride so much smoother....

White
    2001 Z28

I carry Tokico's, they are on my website. I'd prefer Tokico's to be run with stock springs, not lowering springs. If you want to lower the car, you need to make some decisions. Is it about looks, or do you want it to work correctly? I wear this statement out, but it's true: Shocks are spring dampers. You change the springs much, and the shocks have to change as well.

If you were inclined to do lowering springs, mine are as good (I think better) than any. But I don't build springs to what shocks are around, I had springs done that I felt suited what a good driving car needs and that includes good shocks. I'd recommend great shocks and stock springs over mediocre shocks and great lowering springs if the budget is such that both can't happen (and that included my springs).

White Liquid Silver

I'd like to lower the car and make it work correctly if possible, what would you suggest for shocks and springs? ( I like the stance of the red WS6 on your website)

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Been reading with interest as this thread has gone about every which way....

Sounds to me like original poster wants some good, decent, replacement shocks. I can't say for sure without speaking to a customer, but given the Bilstein mess and knowing the options that exist, I'd likely recommend a set of normal old Tokico's here @ $345 a set.

At this time I would not use a Bilstein. I would never use a BTS kit for his wants, let alone for "handling" because despite claims it's not really anything that's very good. The spring rate are too high for the shocks being used (and the rates are higher than I use on my springs). I am an SLP dealer... they don't even have shocks anyway, not that I'd use them being they are meant for the SLP springs. I also feel other shocks work better, even with the SLP springs.
    where can you buy the "Tokico's here @ $345 a set." at? is it your store link at the bottom? Sorry didnt read through all posts till after posted this question...

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

I carry Tokico's, they are on my website. I'd prefer Tokico's to be run with stock springs, not lowering springs. If you want to lower the car, you need to make some decisions. Is it about looks, or do you want it to work correctly? I wear this statement out, but it's true: Shocks are spring dampers. You change the springs much, and the shocks have to change as well.

If you were inclined to do lowering springs, mine are as good (I think better) than any. But I don't build springs to what shocks are around, I had springs done that I felt suited what a good driving car needs and that includes good shocks. I'd recommend great shocks and stock springs over mediocre shocks and great lowering springs if the budget is such that both can't happen (and that included my springs).
    if i have a 1.25 drop on my car, what is a good shock to go with...?

White
    2001 Z28

My springs are $269 shipped. So in the end about the same as Eibach's but mine are, as far as I'm concerned, better. Lighter, better quality control, real world design and use.

Shocks need to be able to control the springs. You can use Tokico HP's, but as a bare minimum I'd recommend it's a set of AGX's. Those aren't my favorite either, Koni's are much better riding with the control and the car drives more BMW than slammed Honda. But at least the AGX's give you damping options, and have enough oomph to actually damp the springs.

And fwiw, I've been reminded over the last few days that folks seem to think that soft shocks will magically make the ride better. Not true, ever notice that cars on stock shocks ride worse and worse over time? The shocks aren't getting stiffer, they are losing damping and the ride degrades.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

My springs are $269 shipped. So in the end about the same as Eibach's but mine are, as far as I'm concerned, better. Lighter, better quality control, real world design and use.

Shocks need to be able to control the springs. You can use Tokico HP's, but as a bare minimum I'd recommend it's a set of AGX's. Those aren't my favorite either, Koni's are much better riding with the control and the car drives more BMW than slammed Honda. But at least the AGX's give you damping options, and have enough oomph to actually damp the springs.

And fwiw, I've been reminded over the last few days that folks seem to think that soft shocks will magically make the ride better. Not true, ever notice that cars on stock shocks ride worse and worse over time? The shocks aren't getting stiffer, they are losing damping and the ride degrades.
    do you see the agx's? if so how much and do you sell koni's and if so how much for a set ...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Without hi jacking the thread- I want to lower my car around 1.25" and want to maintain a stock type ride-a little stiffer would be ok too. I want it to work correctly too. What would be the best combination of shocks/ springs to achieve this if possible?
    Thanks in advance.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Without hi jacking the thread- I want to lower my car around 1.25" and want to maintain a stock type ride-a little stiffer would be ok too. I want it to work correctly too. What would be the best combination of shocks/ springs to achieve this if possible?
    Thanks in advance.

Don't worry, this thread was hijacked a long time ago.

White
    2001 Z28

do you see the agx's? if so how much and do you sell koni's and if so how much for a set ...
    I sell both... AGX's are $409 a set, Koni's start @ $770 a set.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information