Best shocks?

This is a discussion on Best shocks? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; i have bilsteins right now with eibach pro kit drop springs and i feel every damn bump in the road..i ...

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

Best shocks?

i have bilsteins right now with eibach pro kit drop springs and i feel every damn bump in the road..i hate that crap..what kit is best? who is running what/where did you get them/ how much?

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by 99 Formula View Post
    i have bilsteins right now with eibach pro kit drop springs and i feel every damn bump in the road..i hate that crap..what kit is best? who is running what/where did you get them/ how much?
    koni/strano's lovem

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

where did you get them? how much were they?

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

strano is a sponser on here......check out his site.....koni's run around 800...the springs are 269 last i knew

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'm assuming mine are stock, but I have the same problem accompanied by little squeaks. Especially down my street which is a rural road...

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Koni is the best. I have them on my Ferrari and it is like glass in that car. They are quite pricy, but you'll feel the difference. I plan to put them on my bird when I need to replace them.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Another satisfied Strano/Koni Owner here
    It truly is the best of both worlds.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

A trained professional volleybill's Avatar

Black
    2001 Z28

What is the difference between the Strano Koni's and the Koni's that came on the original 'real' 1LE optioned cars? Probably looking to do this mod in the spring- getting ready to put the Z away for the winter-

10's N/A

I run HAL QA-1 Double Adjustable front/rear. Best darn shocks in the world IMO. I purchased them from BMR Fabrication, $635 for the set.

White
    2002 Z28

ok quick question. what are the req for "best shocks" i mean if you can feel eevry bump in the road then your bound and rebound are pretty high.. which would make them a track "inspired" set up and compared to a "less bumby ride " with less bound and rebound would tec. make them worse shocks..
    "perfomance wise"...i dunno

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by volleybill View Post
    What is the difference between the Strano Koni's and the Koni's that came on the original 'real' 1LE optioned cars? Probably looking to do this mod in the spring- getting ready to put the Z away for the winter-
    Strano's refer to Sam's Springs that he sells.
    Koni's are available in SA Single Adjustable (for rebound only) And DA Double Adjustable (rebound and compression).
    Most get the S/A's, I have them and coupled with Sam's Springs and his 35/22 Swaybar set the difference from stock is Night and Day.

A trained professional volleybill's Avatar

Black
    2001 Z28

I understand that "strano's" refers to Sams shocks- I know he has the Bilsteins re-valved to his specification- I was just wondering if he used special settings for the Koni's, and how they compared to the factory Koni's that came on the older 1LE cars that had Koni's as an option from the factory- anybody know if they are the same?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Not sure but I believe the 1LE Koni's were the D/A's

And both sets I refered to are adjustable by you, Sam doesn't do anything to them. If you purchase them from Sam he will give you a ballpark starting point for your particular setup. Then you can tailor them to your own personal settings.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

The factory Koni's where in fact off the shelve D/As. As far as the difference between the D/As and the S/As is the bump adjustment other than that performance is about identical. I had D/A's on my previous car and decided to go with the S/A's this time around and am happy with the decision.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Actually the D/A's have "stiffer" bump and rebound valving vs. the SA's. I know Sam typically recommends the SA's. But if you already have the 1LE Koni's you don't need to buy new ones because they can be rebuilt... I'm not sure If I can post the companies name or not, so do a Google search.

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

ijust know that my eibach springs and my bilsteins are killing my ride...i dont want to fel every damn bump dip in the freakin road..if the car was just for road racing then no big deal but she is not...she has track duties, around town mustang killing, and some days back and forth to work, but whne i take her out for cruises i dont want to feel every thing the road has to offer....and from what i can understand the koni/stranos is the key to making the car ride beautifully...also i got a BMR 32 MM front sway bar to go on..

NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

ijust know that my eibach springs and my bilsteins are killing my ride...i dont want to fel every damn bump dip in the freakin road..if the car was just for road racing then no big deal but she is not...she has track duties, around town mustang killing, and some days back and forth to work, but whne i take her out for cruises i dont want to feel every thing the road has to offer....and from what i can understand the koni/stranos is the key to making the car ride beautifully...also i got a BMR 32 MM front sway bar to go on..
    A performance suspension means there's not going to be much give going over bumps. It's a drawback for a better handling car. For how particular you want your ride to be....may want to think about doing an air bag system. Other than that, if you want a cadillac ride then you'll have to get a cadillac. Just my .02 worth.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Well actually the Eibach Pro Kit is not optimal for ride (which you already know) or handling. They drop the car way too far. The Koni's will not help eliminate the harsh ride. Shocks only dampen the spring movement.

You would be much better off selling those springs and getting a set of Strano Springs.

Thread Information