Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Best bang for buck shock?

This is a discussion on Best bang for buck shock? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I need some good cheeper shocks. I just bought a 98 formula and I feel like I dont even have ...

Blue
    1998 firebird formula

I need some good cheeper shocks. I just bought a 98 formula and I feel like I dont even have shocks at the moment! it awful

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Well, depending on how much you lowered it no shock is going to keep the thing from bouncing. Yes, that includes the Konis.

If you went an inch or more you're going to feel everything the road brings because of your spring rates. You'd be surprised to see how much an inch makes a difference in the way it feels. I went with some SLP springs and it brought the thing down like .5" and that was a big difference.

Like I said though, the KYB's aren't that bad for the money. But for sure the Koni's are a lot better if you can afford them. Just like almost everything else in life, if it cost more, most of the time it's better.

my car absorbs bumps BETTER than stock 1.5 inches lower with koni's...............night and day

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

slp springs...thats your problem...strano's are the way to go.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SLP = The F-Body modding world's joke.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

You guys are really killing me here.....do you realize they both sell Eibach Springs? The only difference is one is sold by SLP and one is sold by Sam Stranos. So I fail to see the "SLP" springs as the problem

98' trans am

strano sells eibach ..but his springs are not eibachs.

98' trans am

well i am confused then why you would say you bought slp springs..if indeed they are not slp springs at all..just eibach springs that slp sells.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

well i am confused then why you would say you bought slp springs..if indeed they are not slp springs at all..just eibach springs that slp sells.
    It's really not that hard to understand. I pick up the phone, I call STS and say I want springs. They turn around and pick up the springs, which are made from Eibach and send them.

Now, someone calls Sam and says I want springs, he turns around and picks up a set, made by Eibach and send them.

The bottom line is they are both made by Eibach. They both are the SAME spring weight. Same Eibach part number. They will both give you the same drop. So, like I said, I fail to see how one is different than the other. It's just where you purchased them from...

The bottom line is when you drop your car you will get they bouncing regardless of shocks...
    Last edited by cailey37; 06-24-2008 at 11:04 AM.

White
    2001 Z28

My friend, you are only partially right here. That's in the fact that I can and do sell Eibach springs.

Where you are *completely* wrong is when you imply that my springs are Eibach springs. They are not, and in fact are not made by Eibach. My springs are made *TOO MY SPECS* by Vogtland in Germany. They have their own springs, which are very, very different in most every aspect than my springs.

Moreover the SLP Eibach's, while made by Eibach are NOT the standard Pro-kit or Sportlines you can get anywhere that sells Eibach product.

If we are going to "educate" folks--please try to pass along fact and not fiction.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    My friend, you are only partially right here. That's in the fact that I can and do sell Eibach springs.

Where you are *completely* wrong is when you imply that my springs are Eibach springs. They are not, and in fact are not made by Eibach. My springs are made *TOO MY SPECS* by Vogtland in Germany. They have their own springs, which are very, very different in most every aspect than my springs.

Moreover the SLP Eibach's, while made by Eibach are NOT the standard Pro-kit or Sportlines you can get anywhere that sells Eibach product.

If we are going to "educate" folks--please try to pass along fact and not fiction.

Well I guess I'm a little confused because on your site it has:

Part #: 3870.140
    and says Eibach as the maker???????
    Maybe wasn't looking at your "custom" springs....?

It's not a matter of "educating" anyone. It's just not accurate to say one's product is any better than the others because I'm afraid they are basically the same.

SLP has "custom" springs that they had made from Eibach also. They were used in the Firehawks when GM used them as their company for the conversions.....I'm sure if we look at spring rates they are the same.....

The point is, and I think you'll agree is that when you lower the car it really doesn't matter what shock you have you're going to get the bounce that no shock is going to fix......

I know you know your stuff when it comes to autocrossing......no doubt about it...
    Last edited by cailey37; 06-24-2008 at 12:34 PM.

White
    2001 Z28

You are confused, and making assumptions. If you have a question please ask.

I sell Eibach. That part number is an Eibach number, they are LS1 Pro-kits. They are not the only set of springs I sell. In fact I also sell other Eibach springs, such as LT1 Pro-kit, Sportlines, ERS racing springs, Drag Launch Springs. And we sell H&R springs too, as well as a few others not shown on the website.

Here are my springs: Part number SP141-- http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=18&ModelID=7

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

You are confused, and making assumptions. If you have a question please ask.

I sell Eibach. That part number is an Eibach number, they are LS1 Pro-kits. They are not the only set of springs I sell. In fact I also sell other Eibach springs, such as LT1 Pro-kit, Sportlines, ERS racing springs, Drag Launch Springs. And we sell H&R springs too, as well as a few others not shown on the website.

Here are my springs: Part number SP141-- http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=18&ModelID=7
    What are the spring rates on your set of springs?

Not trying to argue with anyone other than when someone above stated that the "bounce" was because of someone's springs. All I'm trying to point out, which I think you'll agree is once you lower the car it really doesn't matter what shock you put on....you're going to get a "bounce" ......

Like I said, I know you know your stuff when it comes to suspension, hell I've even purchased from you and continue to send people your way....

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Well I guess I'm a little confused because on your site it has:

Part #: 3870.140
    and says Eibach as the maker???????
    Maybe wasn't looking at your "custom" springs....?

It's not a matter of "educating" anyone. It's just not accurate to say one's product is any better than the others because I'm afraid they are basically the same.

SLP has "custom" springs that they had made from Eibach also. They were used in the Firehawks when GM used them as their company for the conversions.....I'm sure if we look at spring rates they are the same.....

The point is, and I think you'll agree is that when you lower the car it really doesn't matter what shock you have you're going to get the bounce that no shock is going to fix......

I know you know your stuff when it comes to autocrossing......no doubt about it...

The rates on SLP Eibach's and any "off the shelf" Eibach are not the same.... neither are the ride heights. Again, I know that might be your guy feeling, but it is just not the case.

And once again, SP141 springs are not in any way, shape, or form Eibachs. The only way they resemble Eibach's is that they are coil-springs and claim a 1.2" drop. I actually give that height, Eibach hits it sometimes, but misses it more often than not.

As for the springs and the "bounce" I didn't follow that really, and will say that the SLP Eibachs aren't super stiff or super low. They are not IMHO likey to be the issue--I can agree with you there. But only there because you are pretty far off on the other stuff.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I remember riding in a car that had the "off the shelf" Eibachs and it just bounced all over the place. The thing even had Bilstein shocks on it.

I ran the same spring as the Firehawks and Bilstein's and it was a firm ride.

Now, years ago, when I was autocrossing I ran the Koni double adjustables on my f-body and it was great. But since it was F-Stock I couldn't mess with the springs. I know some guys tried to "slip by" by adding the SLP springs because it wouldn't lower the car drastically. In fact I believe it was only a .5" drop.

Sam, what are the spring rates of your springs???? Just curious......also, you running nationals this year or taking a break?????
    Last edited by cailey37; 06-24-2008 at 07:25 PM.

White
    2001 Z28

My springs are 550/150 rates... as you can see they aren't near Eibach rates.

I am running Nationally, I do every year. I'm not in an F-body, but hope to run mine again in '09. For those that tried (or maybe did) slip by--that's just cheating.

The springs from SLP are not all the same, fwiw... there are Level 1 and Level 2 springs. You could have been comparing apples and oranges. And what's more is SLP Bilstein's were the same rear shocks as HD's, and had more rebound in the front than the HD's. So unless something was broken or your car had Level 2's on it, or your tires were stiffer or some other aspect was at play, the former car should not have been softer than the latter.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

My springs are 550/150 rates... as you can see they aren't near Eibach rates.

I am running Nationally, I do every year. I'm not in an F-body, but hope to run mine again in '09. For those that tried (or maybe did) slip by--that's just cheating.

The springs from SLP are not all the same, fwiw... there are Level 1 and Level 2 springs. You could have been comparing apples and oranges. And what's more is SLP Bilstein's were the same rear shocks as HD's, and had more rebound in the front than the HD's. So unless something was broken or your car had Level 2's on it, or your tires were stiffer or some other aspect was at play, the former car should not have been softer than the latter.

You're still running F-stock right????? I saw the Mustang you're running....

What were your thoughts about the GTO???? Did you ever try to autocross one???? As much as we probably all hate to admit it I'm hearing that the new Mustangs are a good balanced car and doing quite well in autocrossing....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information