Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Best bang for buck shock?

I'm thinking of lowering my T/A sometime soon but i'm not sure what shocks to buy. I would love to get the koni/strano combo but i dont think i can afford an $800 set of shocks. Bilsteins look like a good deal but i dont know everything about them. I've also heard i need to realign the rear end? will a torque arm and panhard bar be enough to get that done?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If you plan on autocrossing your car then the Koni's are by far the best. If you dont want to spend that much on them the KYB AGX aren't that bad for the money. Bilsteins are good....as far as realigning the rear.....you dont align the rear....there's no adjustablity there...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

From what I've heard, the KYBs aren't very good.

KYB = Keeps You Bouncing

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

For the money the AGX's aren't bad at all. You just can't adjust the bump and rebound seperatly. One click changes both of them and no, they dont keep you bouncing.....

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    If you plan on autocrossing your car then the Koni's are by far the best. If you dont want to spend that much on them the KYB AGX aren't that bad for the money. Bilsteins are good....as far as realigning the rear.....you dont align the rear....there's no adjustablity there...
    when u lower yoru car your rear end generaly becomes off center so an adj pan hard rod is nessesary to line it back up........although some cars from the factory may already not be str8 and lowering it could actually help....somthing youll have to judge for yourself after lowering it......i would try it w/o the PHR first and see where your at

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

For the money the AGX's aren't bad at all. You just can't adjust the bump and rebound seperatly. One click changes both of them and no, they dont keep you bouncing.....
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87138
    The KYB's are crap in comparison. More so on a lowered car.
    Just save for the Koni's. Worth it.

And there is a rear alignment. Thrust angle.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87138
    The KYB's are crap in comparison. More so on a lowered car.
    Just save for the Koni's. Worth it.

And there is a rear alignment. Thrust angle.
    Yes, compared to Koni's they are. But I believe the guy asked what's the best bang for the buck right.

And as far as a thrust angle alignment. Where are you getting the adjustablity because everything is bolted solid in the rear. The only thing you're going to change back there is pinion angle.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

lowering doesnt throw off center where a panhard bar comes into play..thats where the lower control arms and relocation brackets come into play..the center of the car and geometry of the suspension changes so the lca and relocation brackets help correct that. the phb will center your rear on the x axis...a phb really comes into play when fitting big meats on the back for clearence issues..usually in stock form the center is like 1/2+ off...someone chime in for the correct distances....also if your autocrossing..a centered rear is paramount for proper handling...me myself..well i am planning on getting a phb very soon and some strano lower springs...then eventually replace those POS decarbon shocks with Koni Sa/or DA...i dont like to compromise with aftermarket parts for my car..you get what you pay for and why save a few bucks and loose the performance ?

98' trans am

Yes, compared to Koni's they are. But I believe the guy asked what's the best bang for the buck right.

And as far as a thrust angle alignment. Where are you getting the adjustablity because everything is bolted solid in the rear. The only thing you're going to change back there is pinion angle.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

And the best 'bang for the buck shocks' are the Koni's.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

And the best 'bang for the buck shocks' are the Koni's.
    I think you missed where he said he didn't want to spend $800 on the combo....thus the question "best bang for the buck." Yes, Koni double adjustables are the better but they cost more. Now, with that said, the KYB's aren't that bad for the money. But you're right, if it were me I'd save up and buy the Koni's.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

I think you missed where he said he didn't want to spend $800 on the combo....thus the question "best bang for the buck." Yes, Koni double adjustables are the better but they cost more. Now, with that said, the KYB's aren't that bad for the money. But you're right, if it were me I'd save up and buy the Koni's.
    bang for buck means most for your money.....is a 20k honda civic a better " bang for buck" than a 30k evo??.....i think not........as the konis are a better bang buck than the kykeep ya bouncin's

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    bang for buck means most for your money.....is a 20k honda civic a better " bang for buck" than a 30k evo??.....i think not........as the konis are a better bang buck than the kykeep ya bouncin's
    Ummm....I know what bang for the buck means.....he started off saying that he didn't have the money for the Koni's right.....so, going back to bang for the buck.................if you have a limited budget and looking for a shock that will give you a decent ride then the AGX's aren't that bad. When I first started autocrossing years ago I couldn't afford the Koni's and the AGX's were decent enough to get the job done. Now when you start competing at the National Level, yes you're right Koni's all the way....and if you really want to go all out the Penski race shocks are way better than the Konis!
    Last edited by cailey37; 06-20-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

^ I agree. If you don't want to spend $800 then bang for the buck would be KYB's or something of that nature. Konis are out of the picture. I don't know which way I am going to go, prolly Koni, but the price is rediculous.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

98' trans am

gotta pay to play.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    gotta pay to play.
    For sure, I agree. Going fast is never cheap. I just don't know if I will be spending the money for those shocks.....but to be honest I prolly will because I like to have the best aftermarket shit. I still just find it rediculous.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

$770 for the Koni 4/3 single adjustables from Sam Strano.
    Well worth the $300 more they are over the KYB's. Enough of a difference, that I would save up the money rather than dump them on those KYB's...and ride around on the stockers until then, no matter how bad the ride.

I missed the $800 limit part cailey. My fault.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

$770 for the Koni 4/3 single adjustables from Sam Strano.
    Well worth the $300 more they are over the KYB's. Enough of a difference, that I would save up the money rather than dump them on those KYB's...and ride around on the stockers until then, no matter how bad the ride.

I missed the $800 limit part cailey. My fault.
    I love the Koni's also......but someone said it best above....gotta pay to play...lol....it's an expensive hobby that's for sure.....

back to the point though.....

GottahaveLS1, what are you wanting to do with the car???? Drag race it, autocross it, that will really determine what shock.....

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I love the Koni's also......but someone said it best above....gotta pay to play...lol....it's an expensive hobby that's for sure.....

back to the point though.....

GottahaveLS1, what are you wanting to do with the car???? Drag race it, autocross it, that will really determine what shock.....
    I've never been to a track... not too many closeby where i live. Street use only, I just love the lowered stance and it would be awesome to see an improvement in handling as well. I'm also tempted to get a cam as my next mod... but probably next year when i get some more cash.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I've never been to a track... not too many closeby where i live. Street use only, I just love the lowered stance and it would be awesome to see an improvement in handling as well. I'm also tempted to get a cam as my next mod... but probably next year when i get some more cash.

Well, depending on how much you lowered it no shock is going to keep the thing from bouncing. Yes, that includes the Konis.

If you went an inch or more you're going to feel everything the road brings because of your spring rates. You'd be surprised to see how much an inch makes a difference in the way it feels. I went with some SLP springs and it brought the thing down like .5" and that was a big difference.

Like I said though, the KYB's aren't that bad for the money. But for sure the Koni's are a lot better if you can afford them. Just like almost everything else in life, if it cost more, most of the time it's better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information