Bad Vibration at 75mph and above

This is a discussion on Bad Vibration at 75mph and above within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I have an 02ta. built m6, stock torque arm, stock 3.42's, adjustable LCA's(which I have set at stock because I ...

Black
    2002 WS6

Bad Vibration at 75mph and above

I have an 02ta. built m6, stock torque arm, stock 3.42's, adjustable LCA's(which I have set at stock because I have no idea about why I should adjust them.) Bushings on frame and rod end type LCA's, welded 2 point subframes, new and balanced tires, swapped twice. polyurethane tranny mount and the crossbar that bolts to the floor has 3 tight screws, the fourth is stripped.tokico adjustable shocks.

Ok, at 70mph, my car has a lot of vibration. I bought another stock tranny mount but it didn't make a difference and allowed my tranny to move a lot.
    Pressing in the clutch and coasting doesn't affect the vibration as I thought it would if it were a bent driveshaft.
    The u joints are stable. I need suggestions.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by RealLiveMD View Post
    I have an 02ta. built m6, stock torque arm, stock 3.42's, adjustable LCA's(which I have set at stock because I have no idea about why I should adjust them.) Bushings on frame and rod end type LCA's, welded 2 point subframes, new and balanced tires, swapped twice. polyurethane tranny mount and the crossbar that bolts to the floor has 3 tight screws, the fourth is stripped.tokico adjustable shocks.

Ok, at 70mph, my car has a lot of vibration. I bought another stock tranny mount but it didn't make a difference and allowed my tranny to move a lot.
    Pressing in the clutch and coasting doesn't affect the vibration as I thought it would if it were a bent driveshaft.
    The u joints are stable. I need suggestions.
    If your tires are turning.....your driveshaft is spinning

White
    1998 Trans Am

You should remove the drive shaft to check the u-joints. At least the rear. Could have a tight spot.
    Does the vibration come and go at a steady 70 mph ? Tires...
    As far as clutching at 70 mph, that won't change the drive train vibration, just the motor.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    You should remove the drive shaft to check the u-joints. At least the rear. Could have a tight spot.
    Does the vibration come and go at a steady 70 mph ? Tires...
    As far as clutching at 70 mph, that won't change the drive train vibration, just the motor.

Also, don't assume just because tires were balanced that they were balanced properly. I've had tires balanced, taken it onto the highway, felt vibration at a specific speed, and turned around and went back to the tire place just to get them rebalanced again.

As far as the DS being out of round. The only way I know to check this is to put it on a machine that will spin it and use a dial caliper to measure the total run out.

If you have had any undercarriage work done recently (exhaust work) where welding or heat may have been used, this could have been enough to cause the DS to get out of round.

Black
    2002 WS6

Ok, before unbolting the driveshaft, I'll try to look at it while its jacked up. I thought the u joints were ok because they were stable when the local shop guy tried to push it up and down. I've had the tires rebalanced twice and now a brand new set without help. Honestly, I noticed it after my slave cylinder was changed. The guy left my panhard bar loose and my car was vibrating and all over the road at 110. Then, I tightened the panhard. And the stability returned but the bad vibration continued. The problem is that I put on LCA's, had my gears swapped 3 times and had slave replaced all within 2 weeks of each other.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Are you running an adjustable torque arm at down 2*-3* ? Man, it couls be anything at this point... How about 70 mph in 4'th then 6'th gear... Kind of eliminating the clutch & pilot bearing...

Thread Information