black
    02 ws6, samurai on 40's

anyone used the agx kyb's, they any good??

my pass side strut nut is totally rusted, and the strut isnot reusable.
    i cant spend any cheese on the baller struts, so i need some sugestions on what to do.....get the adj agx's for $100 a piece, or the regular ones for $60??

alittle red and blue
    2010 Ford Interceptor

Quote Originally Posted by stunna p View Post
    my pass side strut nut is totally rusted, and the strut isnot reusable.
    i cant spend any cheese on the baller struts, so i need some sugestions on what to do.....get the adj agx's for $100 a piece, or the regular ones for $60??
    i had the reg. KYB's on the front of my Z and they worked great with my 2" drop. I would think the AGX's are good. I thought Y2KPewterSS had some so maybe he'll chime in.
    "Woobie"

Click for full size
    1995 M6 355 LE2 FORD 9"

Opti-Spark 60% of the time, it works everytime...

Artic
    2000 SS

I'm just starting to tinker with the car...

I just went with the agx and bmr springs. You can get a nice deal over at Summit racing if you use the discount code.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Remember the old saying you get what you pay for. Well that saying doesn't apply here, because you don't even get what little you pay value wise out of AGX, they suck. Save the money and purchase some real shocks.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Keeps
    You
    Bouncing

Not worth it. They do okay for a little while, but the high spring rates on lowering springs will eat them up quickly.
    The KYB's aren't terrible at the stock height. When riding on stock springs, ANYTHING is an upgrade over the stock shocks.

I still would save up and get Koni's.
    I know Y2KPewterSS had the KYB's on the rear and I sold him some Koni's and he LOVES them in comparison.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Keeps
    You
    Bouncing

Not worth it. They do okay for a little while, but the high spring rates on lowering springs will eat them up quickly.
    The KYB's aren't terrible at the stock height. When riding on stock springs, ANYTHING is an upgrade over the stock shocks.

I still would save up and get Koni's.
    I know Y2KPewterSS had the KYB's on the rear and I sold him some Koni's and he LOVES them in comparison.
    Yep, I got to swap out the fronts soon too.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

i heard the kyb agx's were pretty good for the price. i still would think they are better than bilsteins. of course nothing beats konis but some people cant afford them, myself included

i'm looking at getting a set of kyb's when i drop my car in the spring. Sorry but 900 bucks for shocks are jsut a bit out of my price range. So whats everyones 2nd options for guys that can't afford koni's? and please don't be a smart ass and say save up for koni's.

black
    02 ws6, samurai on 40's

re: agx's

I got mine though carquest for $75.00 a piece... plus tax.... cause im a balla
    02 ws6,m6,umi sfc, bbk lt's,y pipe,stainless borla straight pipew/dynomax bullet,160 stat,4.10's,umi adj trq arm,k&n,sportlines,kyb agx's,98mm clear lid,all free mods,d-scrnd mass,fernco,e3 plugs,short stick,tunedbyfrost,no hood baffles,hood to air box w/adh. foam,needs a cam

White
    2001 Z28

Here's the deal guys....

I sell a goodly number of AGX's because of the price. They are truly get what you pay for. I know Koni's aren't cheap--but I wish for once, the folks who seem to have no issue buying fancy wheels, or nice headers, or whatever else would stop complaining about the price of good shocks which are much more complicated to make, have a killer warranty, and are a LOT more important to how the car actually works.

Bilstein's are screwed together a lot better than AGX's are. They are softer to start with, but stay as built much longer. AGX's start decent (not great) and degrade. And even KYB will tell you they bounce warranties on lowered cars.

At some point, if you want things to work--you need to step up. If you don't want to, fine--there are cheap options. Just like you could slap in a nice cam, and run it with stock valve springs because they cost too much. How well will that work, and for how long?

You've heard from folks who have had both. I'm sure they would have love it if the AGX's were great--for the price. But it was stated in an eariler post that one person didn't feel like he even got what he paid for (and they are pretty cheap).

Good products cost money. AGX's cost less than Bilstein's. Bilstein quality is great, the just aren't ideal for lowering springs. So I ask you, what do you think you get when you can buy adjustable shocks for less than a known quality non-adjustable?
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I will say this since ive installed both KYB AGX and Bilstein shocks. The KYB's were fairly stiff and not very good for street use but the car handled well and still had some body roll even after my sway bar install. My car now that i have has the Bilstein shocks with just Eibach pro kits and it feels more solid once you take some corners. Its very flat the rear end guides the front end really well into the corners and is much different then my older Z with the KYB set up. I think after some sway bars and SFC's i will be more then happy with the cars handling.

thanks again sam. I know they are great but for a college kid that spent his money foolishly on wheels and doesn't know where his job will take him in the spring. Basically i don't want to spend money on a car that i don't know if ill have in 6 months. I guess time will tell. If i sTay in my state I'll be modding the car like crazy and money will be the least of my worries.

White
    2001 Z28

Honestly if you don't know you'll have the car, I can't imagine why you'd bother upgrading it much anyway. Wheels are nice, they look great. All depends on your priorities. We all know things that look great, but don't work out quite the way we'd like--women for example.

If it's all about looks, great. If you want the suspension to work, like anything else you buy, you get better results with a better product, don't you?

SOM
    2002 SS

I just picked up my 01 z this may. Everyone told me this and told me that about sportlines and about kybs. I got the sportlines and the gas a just shocks and quite honestly the car drives like it did they day they were installed. It's been 19000 km already on the car. I can Honestly say the ride isn't great or what I would want, but its not as horrid as some people suggest. Yes there is body roll, but this is a base z with wimpy sway bars etc. I know they aren't great shocks especially over large bumpsa and dips where they struggle to control the body motions. But they make the car drive 10000% better than the original springs/shocks especially when driving it hard and through corners.

Sam If I may, are ANY shocks designed for lowering springs? I actually think the front springs are not even low enough on my Z so different springs are out of the question (since I hear sportlines are the lowest). What shock do you reccomend for me? If I keep this car and end up doing heads/cam etc I will upgrade to something better/stiffer.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Sam If I may, are ANY shocks designed for lowering springs? I actually think the front springs are not even low enough on my Z so different springs are out of the question (since I hear sportlines are the lowest). What shock do you reccomend for me? If I keep this car and end up doing heads/cam etc I will upgrade to something better/stiffer.
    Koni's or revalves for the specific spring.

White
    2001 Z28

Are there shocks designed with better/more damping requirements in mind? Ahhhh, yes. In fact even KYB makes some--the AGX. In fact I've found GR2's to be better dampers in two different back to back comparisons with Gas-A-Justs.... I'm just not a fan. Then again, I think Sportlines are way too low, and too soft, where you want them to be lower.

Thread Information