Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Anyone have a torque arm relocation bracket?

Anyone have one of these things? I'm wondering what if any vibrations or harshness it will add? I could deal with a little thump here and there, but i hate vibrations. I really want to get my torque arm off the tranny. I can feel the trans/torque arm bouncing around through the shifter when i get the tires spinning and hit a bump or manhole cover. I refuse to run a poly trans mount because i hated how the car vibrated afterwards. The car already has UMI lower control arms, panhard bar and subframes.
    Last edited by km346; 07-08-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    -98 Camaro SS hardtop stripper M6
    Corsa Catback, Ls6 intake, SLP lid, Ls6 pcv conversion, mike norris catch can, UMI suspension & SFC's, TunedByFrost tune.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

See my sig for what I have (brand wise).

It's a short adjustable TA. It clunks when shifting but that is normal due to the construction. No vibrations at all (shouldn't regardless of brand). I adjusted it a tad over 2 degrees down to eliminate the wheel hop I was experiencing.

While I already had an SLP DSL this unit had an integral one.

Like you I also wanted it off of the tailshaft as I have a goodish amount of $$$ into the tranny.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 07-08-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I run the BMR version. No vibration at all.

https://securec20.ezhostingserver.co...&productid=329

Click for full size

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

That's a nice option, but you can find a used adjustable torque arm and relocation bracket for 250 used.

If you put a poly mount on the trans it will vibrate because you probably have OEM motor mounts and if the motor shakes a lot with OEM mounts then all that is transferred into the transmission x3, for example. If you shake a dildo at the base for example, it'll flop more at the end then any other part of the dildo, same concept. The end of the transmission where it's mounted is like the end of the dildo.

If you have poly motor mounts and a poly trans mount, then it's like having a dildo but with a hand on each end, see it doesn't shake much anymore.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Thanks for the responses everyone, I think i may pull the trigger on the UMI peice.

Timmy, very interesting analogy on the motor/trans mount vibration. You know before today the first thing that comes to mind when i was thinking about how my engine and transmission are mounted was never a big flopping dildo, and now thats changed forever, good work lol.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Glad I could help, hopefully that made sense, but like I said, you could probably find a used setup for around that price, if interested in a adjustable tq arm.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I have a UMI one and it made as much noise as my old tunnel mounted torque arm. Anyone in Md wants it they can come and get it.

Quote Originally Posted by km346 View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone, I think i may pull the trigger on the UMI peice.

Timmy, very interesting analogy on the motor/trans mount vibration. You know before today the first thing that comes to mind when i was thinking about how my engine and transmission are mounted was never a big flopping dildo, and now thats changed forever, good work lol.
    You should receive very little to no vibrations or harshness with the torque arm relocation kit. I do highly recommend keeping the factory rubber transmission bushing as well, the polyurethane mounts usually add vibration with these type of kits.

If you have any questions please let me know. Thank you!
    Ryan

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

UMI is also a good product. Give Ryan a call.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Well i installed the UMI piece this morning. First impression is 50/50... it gave the car a completely different feel... it made it easier to drive really, letting the clutch out from a stop, and shifting up and down all got much smoother feeling. However it does increase road noise considerably. While cruising at a steady speed you would never know its there, acceleration is loud and under braking there is some noise. Also it seemed to increase the little bit of whine my 10 bolt makes at around 45mph. Keep in mind my car only has a cat-back so it is relatively quiet, im sure when i add headers in the future i wont hear a thing LOL.

The kit from UMI was top quality, very nice fab work and powder coating. Nothing against them at all... I did replace the allen headed 8 mm bolts with hex head bolts, that made it much easier to tighten everything down with such limited space.

What torque arm are you using with it and what set of holes did you end up using?

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
    What torque arm are you using with it and what set of holes did you end up using?
    It is a factory torque arm, and it is in the second hole from the bottom.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

After talking to Ryan from UMI I think im going to try and move the bushing mount up one bolt hole and see if it helps eliminate some noise, Im thinking maybe my pinion angle is slightly different under load. I will report back with the results...

Thread Information