Artic White
    2002 ws6

Any Brake experts out there?

Okay, for months now I've been trying to hunt down a rattle from both sides of the front suspension. It happened immediately after lowering my car with the Hotchkis setup. Yesterday I think I may have found what's actually causing it but was hoping some of you could tell me what you think. I started trying to shake everything around on the front end and finally got the calipers to make the noise I've been hearing. When I grab them and shake them, they rattle up against the rotor. My question is, should this be happening? The rears don't do it and I'm almost certain the fronts shouldn't. If any of you could check your cars and tell me if you can shake the calipers I'd appreciate it. And if you cannot get yours to shake and make the noise.... what do you think it is? bushings???

Thanks once again,

'02 A.W. Pont. M6

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
    Okay, for months now I've been trying to hunt down a rattle from both sides of the front suspension. It happened immediately after lowering my car with the Hotchkis setup. Yesterday I think I may have found what's actually causing it but was hoping some of you could tell me what you think. I started trying to shake everything around on the front end and finally got the calipers to make the noise I've been hearing. When I grab them and shake them, they rattle up against the rotor. My question is, should this be happening? The rears don't do it and I'm almost certain the fronts shouldn't. If any of you could check your cars and tell me if you can shake the calipers I'd appreciate it. And if you cannot get yours to shake and make the noise.... what do you think it is? bushings???

Thanks once again,

'02 A.W. Pont. M6
    i've done alot of brakes but i've only seen what i think you are describing when a hub was loose
    are you sure that the calipers are working and not frozen?
    check your caliper sliders

I hope one of these help, I wish I could see it in person

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

yes, they'll 'rattle' up against the rotor as the caliper slides on the slider bolts. this is assuming the bolts are tight. the typical reason for the noise, after lowering a car, is the top shock nut doesn't get tight enough. done it myself. either way, go back through and make sure everything is tight.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

hugger orange

ofcourse on my 04 goat with 50,000 miles on it the I had to use an air hammer to get my slider knocked out... and I had to hammer on it for awhile. that was the first time I had ever seen one get stuck like that and I had just changed the pads (with some cheap ones ) about 15,000 miles before so you can get some odd things going on under the car from time to time

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Yeah, I've checked all the connections myself and had it in to three different F-body shops. The last guy I took it to swears that the calipers shouldn't shake at all. I checked out my brothers C5 vette (similar breaking system) and his didn't move AT ALL. That's why I think it's the calipers. So there could be a problem with the "slider"?

Thanks again!

Thread Information