Am I expecting too much at 85mph from studded rear snow tires and my z28?

After learning that the ZRi's and no weight will get stuck in less than an inch of snow while parked, I went out and got some steel studded winterforce 225/60R16s for the rear. Plus I dropped about 300-400 lbs of sandbags in back. I tried far back in the "trunk". Divided up. Back seat. Package tray. On the floor. Less weight. No weight. Seat down on top right over tires, etc Tried removing weight and still seems to be a suspension or body roll problem.

Tires in front are 245/50R16 fuzion ZRis so yes mismatched tires is probably part of the problem. They of course were balanced when put on, etc though.

I drive about 1000 miles per week (!) and highway speeds need to feel stable. The car feels like it is a boat at 85mph right now. Turns result in lots of rebound and HUGE amounts of body roll which is downright scary knowing I don't have performance tires on the rear.

Just got screwed by an alignment shop that told me the only thing they could see is the tie rod ends. I'm now convinced that when a place says the tie rods ends need replacement, they are completely full of shit unless one is just straight up broken in half! The nice thing is it came with an alignment, etc so it is riding a LITTLE nicer. However when I went out to test it at highway speeds I nearly wrecked with a fast turn. It's getting ridiculous really.

Obviously I SHOULD get a winter beater but now basically my money is sunk on these snow tires/front sway/and unnecessarily replaced tie rod ends haha, but I'd like to try to get to the bottom of this....

I've got a 35mm suspension techniques swaybar with new bushings/endlinks I'm putting in tomorrow. That SHOULD help. I just don't like feeling like I'm driving a damn bus.

Rears are bilstein HDs (3rd) I believe and fronts are stock which obviously suck but don't appear to be the cause of this problem.

Advice?

I'm sure once I get the Fuzions back on in the spring (provided I don't wreck it this winter), with the new sway bar, it will feel like it's on rails. But I need it to at least feel SAFE right now.

Also, I nicked a guard rail in my driverside quarter so checked all the end links, bushings, etc. Nothing appears to be disconnected. ?????

A lot of variables, huh?

Also of course keeping an eye on tire pressures, trying different ones, etc

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

used to run studs in my 87 firebird and my 03 acura rsx type s............yes studs handle like shit......get used to it....just have to slow down with them on.....but both cars were tanks in the snow .....and i wouldnt have 3-400 lbs in the back of your car dude.....thats insane....goodbye shocks/springs.......maybe a 100 in your rear well......your car must be sitting SOO low in the rear.....thats prolly part of your handling prob as well....studs and a lil weight is more that sufficent to get u thru the snow .....goodluck

CETA Yellow
    2002 WS6 CETA

umm your tie rods do go bad without "breaking in two". When you start to feel play in them there bad and need to be replaced. Unless you want them to break in two and lose your steering. Up to you I guess. Yes your expecting WAy too much out of your car. For 1 dont drive it in the snow even with snow tires. Its got way too much power to get around like it does in the summer. You have pieces of metel hitting the road instead of rubber with studded tires SO YES YOU LOSE ALOT OF TRACTION when not in the snow. You would have been better off with a set of Blizzaks (sp).

Hey guys, thanks for your help. Yes, I think way too much weight and WAY too high of expectations

Appreciate it. And yeah, I realized a matched set of blizzacks balanced and mounted probably would have been better.

It's insane right now in Indiana because there is basically no snow on the ground so I'm just flying across the states wearing these studs down. Come on weather, make up your mind! As soon as I switch back to the Fuzions it will undoubtedly snow a solid foot the next day

Thread Information