SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Alignment without wheel lip

I just got a new wheel and tire setup on my car, and I was going to get a wheel alignment, since I haven't ever had one done since I've owned the car.

The problem is my wheels don't have any lip on the face for the satellites to lock into.

Anyone know of an alignment rack that doesn't require a wheel lip and who would have it??
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

um they should have the finger adapters to hook on the outside of the wheel lip instead of the inside. nothing new. been around for a decade or so. i have them for both of my alignment machines.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    um they should have the finger adapters to hook on the outside of the wheel lip instead of the inside. nothing new. been around for a decade or so. i have them for both of my alignment machines.
    Interesting, the guy I talked to didn't have those. The other problem is the tires have a rimguard, so I don't think even that would work.

I have a set of 16" salad shooters that I could put on just for the alignment which have a lip...would using those throw off the alignment once I put the 18"s back on??

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the fingers will work so long as they can push them between the rim guard and rim. done it a good 100 times myself. they make different angle fingers.

you can put the 16s on and align it that way.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

the fingers will work so long as they can push them between the rim guard and rim. done it a good 100 times myself. they make different angle fingers.

Alright, thanks for the help.

I'll call around and see what I can figure out.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

correct and correct. and if this guy doesnt have them or know what the are, he prob doesnt know how to align your car anyhow. also, if your car is lowered you will need a special tool to adjust camber and caster. so look into that too.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    correct and correct. and if this guy doesnt have them or know what the are, he prob doesnt know how to align your car anyhow. also, if your car is lowered you will need a special tool to adjust camber and caster. so look into that too.
    Apparently the GM dealer near me has all the alignment equipment to do wheels without lips. My friend works for a Honda dealer, and he said they send all their newer cars without wheel lips cars to this GM dealer to get alignments.

My car isn't lowered, but either way the dealer should have all the special tools for camber/caster if any are needed. I'll call them in the morning and get a price.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

also, if your car is lowered you will need a special tool to adjust camber and caster. so look into that too.
    what special tool would that be? maybe the same one if it isn't lowered? not that you really need the tool. just makes it a little easier to do.

here's a pic of the alignment tool. this is not a have to have tool, but i own two of these cars. this is the position to adjust camber

here's the position to adjust caster

Last edited by mrr23; 05-31-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

what special tool would that be? maybe the same one if it isn't lowered? not that you really need the tool. just makes it a little easier to do.
    yeah its the same tool. its just and adjustment sleeve that hooks to the control arm and the frame. if the car was lowered, the camber and caster WOULD need adjusted. if it hasnt been, then just the toe should need adjusted.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

yeah its the same tool. its just and adjustment sleeve that hooks to the control arm and the frame. if the car was lowered, the camber and caster WOULD need adjusted. if it hasnt been, then just the toe should need adjusted.
    i just added pics of the tool.

you are assuming the alignment was done correctly from the factory and there has been no wear of the control arm bushings and springs to say it'll only need a toe setting. and to say that would mean that it would not need any adjustments.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

i just added pics of the tool.

you are assuming the alignment was done correctly from the factory and there has been no wear of the control arm bushings and springs to say it'll only need a toe setting. and to say that would mean that it would not need any adjustments.
    yeah thats it. and sad to say that most alignment shops would prob only do the toe anyhow. and youre right, cant say for sure it wouldnt need adjusted, but doubt it would be out enough to cause any wear. and i NEEDED the tool. had to borrow it from a local gm dealer. my car was lowered and there was no way to pull the camber in enough. took 2 min with it.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

yes the tool makes it much easier to do the work.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I think either my camber or toe is off, because I noticed more wear on the inside of my tires than on the outside. Thats the reason I'm getting an alignment, the car tracks perfectly straight and the steering wheel is dead center.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

toe is the primary tire wear angle with camber being second.

Thread Information