Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Aftermarket Control Arms or Stay Stock?

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Control Arms or Stay Stock? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Well I guess I'll be the one with the totally oposite opinion.. I don't think sinking a bunch of money ...

  1. #21
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Well I guess I'll be the one with the totally oposite opinion..

    I don't think sinking a bunch of money into the front suspension is worth it unless the live pickup axle out back can be gotten rid of..

    Sure all those cool parts will make it handle better than stock..

    But the rear will still be a solid axle with limited options and travel geometies.

    Unless you convert the rear to an IRS the best you can ever hope for is a "good" handling car.. Which they are/were from the start..

    My handling was far better improved than stock by simply running super sticky auto-x tires..

    Just my .02 take it or leave it, do as you like..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-25-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  2. #22
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    To the KYB thing.

    Many folks say KYB dampers are not very good on gen-4 f-body..

    But I ran them on my other IRS car and liked them alot.

    Again prolly depends on what type of suspension setup you have and ride quality tastes..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-25-2011 at 11:10 PM.

  3. #23
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Well I guess I'll be the one with the totally oposite opinion..

    I don't think sinking a bunch of money into the front suspension is worth it unless the live pickup axle out back can be gotten rid of..

    Sure all those cool parts will make it handle better than stock..

    But the rear will still be a solid axle with limited options and travel geometies.

    Unless you convert the rear to an IRS the best you can ever hope for is a "good" handling car.. Which they are/were from the start..

    My handling was far better improved than stock by simply running super sticky auto-x tires..

    Just my .02 take it or leave it, do as you like..
    Thanks for the opinion, it's great reading different opinions.

    Remember, this started because the ball joints are worn out and I am going to have to deal with the control arms anyway. So, if I'm going to be dealing with that area anyway, it might be a good time to go ahead and install better control arms. Additionally, it's time for new struts & shocks now, so I'll be replacing those anyway. Likewise, this is the best time to consider better struts & shocks.

    The cost of what I have been thinking of putting into this area is nowhere near what I would consider is a bunch of money, certainly not compared to the cost of converting the rear to an IRS.

    And, you do agree it will make it handle better than stock ("Sure all those cool parts will make it handle better than stock").

    Yes, I still have a solid rear axle. It still operates as originally intended. Now if that solid rear axle were worn out, then I would certainly consider such an IRS conversion since I would have to replace the rear anyway. And without a doubt, this issue would require substantially more money than what I'm dealing with up front.

    But I'm definitely not going to abandon any kind of upgrades to worn out components just because I'm not converting the rear to an IRS.

  4. #24
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    To the KYB thing.

    Many folks say KYB dampers are not very good on gen-4 f-body..

    But I ran them on my other IRS car and liked them alot.

    Again prolly depends on what type of suspension setup you have and ride quality tastes..
    Thanks for the info about your KYB experience.

    I hope to hear from someone who has used the KYB adjustable struts & shocks on a 4th gen F-body. Just wondering...

  5. #25
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Thanks for the opinion, it's great reading different opinions.

    Remember, this started because the ball joints are worn out and I am going to have to deal with the control arms anyway. So, if I'm going to be dealing with that area anyway, it might be a good time to go ahead and install better control arms. Additionally, it's time for new struts & shocks now, so I'll be replacing those anyway. Likewise, this is the best time to consider better struts & shocks.

    The cost of what I have been thinking of putting into this area is nowhere near what I would consider is a bunch of money, certainly not compared to the cost of converting the rear to an IRS.

    And, you do agree it will make it handle better than stock ("Sure all those cool parts will make it handle better than stock").

    Yes, I still have a solid rear axle. It still operates as originally intended. Now if that solid rear axle were worn out, then I would certainly consider such an IRS conversion since I would have to replace the rear anyway. And without a doubt, this issue would require substantially more money than what I'm dealing with up front.

    But I'm definitely not going to abandon any kind of upgrades to worn out components just because I'm not converting the rear to an IRS.
    My oppologies, I was'nt intending to sway you from your upgrades.

    Nothing wrong with upgrades..

  6. #26
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    My oppologies, I was'nt intending to sway you from your upgrades.

    Nothing wrong with upgrades..
    No problem. All is good. I appreciate your opinion and the thought you put into your post. It challenged me to 'defend' my thinking in a sense.

    And I understand what you mean by the limitations of the solid rear axle. I would love to have the IRS of the new Camaro SS under my SS. I've thought of possibly installing such in my current SS rather than buying the new one (because I do not like the 'retro' shape of the new one and I absolutely HATE the dash & gauges of the new one). I will probably wind up buying a 2005 or newer Corvette.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    No one has tried KYB struts/shocks?
    Yes we have, they are OK. For the price they are good shocks and have adjustment so you can tune them where you would like. I would recommend the SLP Bilsteins over the KYB shocks... but if you want the ability to adjust and Koni is not an option KYB would be a decent set up.

    I hope that helps,
    Ryan

  8. #28
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Thanks for your assistance. For adjustablility, I'll go with Koni. It's not like that little bit more money will break me. Otherwise, it would be Bilstein. I just wondered how many people have tried the KYB and what their opinion was. If it were anywhere near as good as Koni, then it would be worth it. But if Bilstein is better than KYB, then KYB is not an option for me. Thanks for everyone's input.

  9. #29
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Thanks for your assistance. For adjustablility, I'll go with Koni. It's not like that little bit more money will break me. Otherwise, it would be Bilstein. I just wondered how many people have tried the KYB and what their opinion was. If it were anywhere near as good as Koni, then it would be worth it. But if Bilstein is better than KYB, then KYB is not an option for me. Thanks for everyone's input.
    You could not pay me to put KYBs back on my car. Biggest mistake I made in modding mine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Recommended Aftermarket Rear Control Arms
    By Suzaku in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 06:26 PM
  2. Looking for stock lower control arms.
    By Sweet Chops in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 11:40 AM
  3. Aftermarket K-member, upper and lower control arms???
    By rll2 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 09:10 PM
  4. stock lower control arms for sale out of 98 z28
    By themack56 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 08:03 PM
  5. stock lower control arms out of my 98 z28
    By themack56 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 07:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •