Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Adjustable Torque arm?

I was wondering the benifits of a adjustable vs. non adjustable torqe arm?
    Is adjustable for pinion angle?? If I dont drag race would non adjustable be ok for me? Thanks.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

The problem is that from the factory the pnion angle caould be out of whack.

For $25-40 more it is so worth it to get an adjustable TA.

Keep you eye's out for a used one as you can get a really good deal on second hand TA's!

I have the adjustable UMI one:

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I have the adjustable BMR TA. If you ever plan to lower your car, you will want the adjustable one as well. Like SOW also stated, the factory specs might not be correct to begin with either, so just spend the extra few bucks and get the adjustable one.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Will do. Makes sense. Without yalls insight I prolly would have got the non adjustable. Thanks fellas.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

we need a smilie that is throwing money into the wind...i swear, i learn something new everyday on this section and it just makes me realize more and more...I NEED A DAMN RAISE!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Why did you buy a non adjustable torq arm ?? I almost did.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

still have stock tqarm...probably going to get an adj one when i go for it though...considering this thread

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

From what I read they have 2 types of adjustable torq arms. The first kind hooks on the tail of the tranny like the stock one. The second type hooks to a special brace instead of the tail of the tranny with relieves pressure on the transmission. Now which of the two adjustable torq arms is the question I have. I would like to go with the 2nd type but that of course equals more money.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

2nd type will ultimately take load off of yoru tranny and let it do it's job.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

One mounts to the tailshaft of the tranny just like you mentioned and the other is a chassis mounted one. Usually a bar is welded to the SFCs or something of the sort to mount it. Its also commonly referred to as a short TA.

Both have their pros and cons. By getting a chassis mounted one, you are obviously relieving stress from the tailshaft of the tranny, but you are sacrificing some ground clearance as well.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    One mounts to the tailshaft of the tranny just like you mentioned and the other is a chassis mounted one. Usually a bar is welded to the SFCs or something of the sort to mount it. Its also commonly referred to as a short TA.

Both have their pros and cons. By getting a chassis mounted one, you are obviously relieving stress from the tailshaft of the tranny, but you are sacrificing some ground clearance as well.
    Not only that but the new mount location (floor pan) is not ment/designed to take that load on it so I have seen countless people post horror stories about the bolts just rounding their way out of the floorpan.

Now if you were bracing the mount to welded subframe connectors it might hold better but in the end it will still be a bolted connection to the floorpan.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

nothing is for free... if you get the one mounted on the tranny, it's longer and will help you in braking... while the shorter one will relieve the tranny but only help you in acceleration, not braking.

In acceleration, you want a short one.
    While braking, you want a very long one... GM found that a decent compromise without compromising safely was to put it on the tranny (long enough).

So just keep that in mind.
    Also, if $ is not an object there are alternatives that meet both requirements... http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/TA/
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I had a chassis mounted torque arm, for about a week. They make alot more noise. My rear end has some gear whine which is also amplified x 10,000 having the torque arm mounted right to the floor. I hated the thing altogether and sold it. Gonna get a new tranny mounted one soon.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I had a chassis mounted torque arm, for about a week. They make alot more noise. My rear end has some gear whine which is also amplified x 10,000 having the torque arm mounted right to the floor. I hated the thing altogether and sold it. Gonna get a new tranny mounted one soon.

Thats all I need to know right there. I will be going with the tranny mounted torq arm. I cant stand anymore noise then I have. Thanks

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

spohn makes one that bolts to the transmission crossmember. keep the length and take it off the transmission itself.

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I got mine installed tonight. Very pleased with the feel of it

I have seen pictures of the Spohn tranny brace mounted one before. Spohn makes great products, but if your car is lowered the least bit, you can't run the Spohn tranny brace mounted TA.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

If you get an adjustable TA and you upgrade to a moser 12 bolt will it be a direct fitment or will there me some hole drilling to make it work?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Phlash_riot View Post
    If you get an adjustable TA and you upgrade to a moser 12 bolt will it be a direct fitment or will there me some hole drilling to make it work?
    My Moser 9" fit perfectly with the UMI adjustable torque arm. Tunnel braced.
    Looks almost indentical to the Spohn posted above...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    spohn makes one that bolts to the transmission crossmember. keep the length and take it off the transmission itself.

Click for full size
    Do you run the spohn ta mrr23? I was wondering if the vibration/road noise was bad. I was told that some of the aftermarket ta cause this problem. The spohn or umi looks like a good way to go. I just dont want bad noise/vibration. Thank you.

-same question for you Mr. Louos -thanks for your time/help

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

did you guys disconnect your drive shafts yourselves, or did you have someone do it for you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information