White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Adjustable or not adjustable

I want to replace suspension parts probably before the spring and I am trying to figure out should I get adjustable parts (front arms, lower control arms, panhard bars, etc,) or not. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you'll want single-adjustable (SA) Koni shocks. They are about 850 or so for the set and actually, i've you've ever turned a wrench before, you can install them yourself. there are instructions all over the web for them.

Start by getting those and a beefier front sway bar.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

adj everything !

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

actually, i spoke too soon, is this for strip or track? Strip = double adj fronts, track = SA [if your trying to spare cash, but most agree that DA on a track is pointless]

White

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    actually, i spoke too soon, is this for strip or track? Strip = double adj fronts, track = SA [if your trying to spare cash, but most agree that DA on a track is pointless]

I have yet to think about the track, but I do know that I want to make mods in a hurry for the spring season

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Suspension

Depending on how adjustable a part is it may cost more. I'm not saying no to adjustable I'm all for it, just throwing that bit of info out there for thought.

As for what mods, I've been told that front shocks make a hell of a difference. You can get KYB front adjustables (5 settings) for about $100 each. That's a steal.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Depending on how adjustable a part is it may cost more. I'm not saying no to adjustable I'm all for it, just throwing that bit of info out there for thought.

As for what mods, I've been told that front shocks make a hell of a difference. You can get KYB front adjustables (5 settings) for about $100 each. That's a steal.
    KYB = Keeps You Bouncing.

Smile KYB

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    KYB = Keeps You Bouncing.
    Thats pretty good.

Have you driven a car with KYB's? Are they that bad?

I've never been in one.

White

Lightbulb

What about the eibach prokit springs?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mieux97 View Post
    What about the eibach prokit springs?
    get strano's springs....

98' trans am

personally i am a umi performance suspension part whore that is all i run now..and will be all i run in the future..everything will be adjustable..why? because no 2 cars are made exactly the same..or for drove for the same reason..so adj takes those factors out of it. for springs and swaybars i will be going with strano

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Thats pretty good.

Have you driven a car with KYB's? Are they that bad?

I've never been in one.
    Nah. Don't care to either. After hearing countless people, including Y2k, go from them to the Konis and saying the same thing, I'm just gonna do it right and go with Koni DAs.

White
    2001 Z28

Might I suggest you guys give me a call? I know it's forward of me and all, but I just read every post in this thread, and while there are nuggets of good information, there is also a lot of assumed information, and some flat wrong information too.

I do this for a living, and unlike a lot of shops I have results to back up the fact I put parts together in a way that works. Given that, I really can't make any solid recommendation to the OP. There are things that are good to be adjustable, and things that you don't need to be adjustable. Just because you might want part A to be adjustable doesn't mean you want part B to be (or need it to be).

FWIW, some of the things stated that are off base in this thread:

KYB AGX's... they are 8 way adjustable, not 5. And if anyone thinks that adjustable shocks are pretty much all the same is very, very wrong.

Koni DA's. I own DA's... I don't run them. Many assume more is better and that's not necessarily the case. There are times to use DA's, but the vast majority of folks aren't in the group, and I'm not in that group.

UMI makes very nice stuff, and I sell and prefer to use the part they make when they are applicable (and I do carry UMI's full line). That said, if a part isn't right I won't just say "sure let's use it". Being the owner of this place, I'm responsible for using the right parts for the customer. If it costs me a sale, it costs me a sale, hopefully the fact I did the right thing will bring you back as a repeat customer in the future.

Really the OP's question was very open ended. You might have well asked on the 'net what pills to take because you don't feel well. You'd get a lot of answers with good intentions, but nobody knows what's wrong, or in what way you don't feel well.

Parts do a job. If the job needs done and various parts can do it that's great. But we need to know the job, and what parts will cure the sickness, so to speak.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Pwned

White

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Might I suggest you guys give me a call? I know it's forward of me and all, but I just read every post in this thread, and while there are nuggets of good information, there is also a lot of assumed information, and some flat wrong information too.

I do this for a living, and unlike a lot of shops I have results to back up the fact I put parts together in a way that works. Given that, I really can't make any solid recommendation to the OP. There are things that are good to be adjustable, and things that you don't need to be adjustable. Just because you might want part A to be adjustable doesn't mean you want part B to be (or need it to be).

FWIW, some of the things stated that are off base in this thread:

KYB AGX's... they are 8 way adjustable, not 5. And if anyone thinks that adjustable shocks are pretty much all the same is very, very wrong.

Koni DA's. I own DA's... I don't run them. Many assume more is better and that's not necessarily the case. There are times to use DA's, but the vast majority of folks aren't in the group, and I'm not in that group.

UMI makes very nice stuff, and I sell and prefer to use the part they make when they are applicable (and I do carry UMI's full line). That said, if a part isn't right I won't just say "sure let's use it". Being the owner of this place, I'm responsible for using the right parts for the customer. If it costs me a sale, it costs me a sale, hopefully the fact I did the right thing will bring you back as a repeat customer in the future.

Really the OP's question was very open ended. You might have well asked on the 'net what pills to take because you don't feel well. You'd get a lot of answers with good intentions, but nobody knows what's wrong, or in what way you don't feel well.

Parts do a job. If the job needs done and various parts can do it that's great. But we need to know the job, and what parts will cure the sickness, so to speak.
    Oops! Sorry....I meant that I may wanna put it to the test in a quarter mile. but it will be on the street for the most part. It's been said that I should stabilize the car well before getting more power so that the car will handle better. What do you suggest?

UMI stuff seems to get good reviews just like strano springs.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ive had KYB adjustables and ive never had any issues with them at all, paired with my other suspension mods my 93Z was pretty good handling car. Then again i had my shock setting at 8 in fronts and 7 back and for me thats what i prefered. Had them on my car for 4 years and i loved them no matter what people told me. Are they better then Koni shocks most likely not ive never used Koni's so i dont know from what ive heard many people love them and strongly recommend them.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Ive had KYB adjustables and ive never had any issues with them at all, paired with my other suspension mods my 93Z was pretty good handling car. Then again i had my shock setting at 8 in fronts and 7 back and for me thats what i prefered. Had them on my car for 4 years and i loved them no matter what people told me. Are they better then Koni shocks most likely not ive never used Koni's so i dont know from what ive heard many people love them and strongly recommend them.
    Thats exactly what most people say. That the KYBs are great shocks, etc. but when they go to the Konis is like night and day, then they realize that the KYBs are sub par. Hell, most people say the KYBs aren't much better than stock. I don't know personally, but I've been doing alot of reading on them and I've never heard a bad word about the Konis.

White
    2001 Z28

squee is wise beyond his shown age of 18.

He's hit the nail on the head, and driven it home. What folks qualify as good, let alone great is a function of experience, or lack thereof.

I see and hear it every day. What folks thought was kick ass suddenly wasn't when exposed to other things. I'm sure someone who hasn't had beef in 3 months would think a White Castle slider is great... until they get prime rib.

karpetcm you had your shocks @ 8 in front, full stiff. No room to go up. Might you have liked more damping if you could have gotten it?

Thread Information