Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Adjustable Lower Control Arms & Panhard Bar

This is a discussion on Adjustable Lower Control Arms & Panhard Bar within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; ^^ Thanks pajeff02..Yeah the parts i bought /replaced about 5 years ago are Edelbrock`s ..I only did the LCA`s stock ...

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^^ Thanks pajeff02..Yeah the parts i bought /replaced about 5 years ago are Edelbrock`s ..I only did the LCA`s stock height...TA,,single adjustable and rear shocks. At the time my dad owned a service station so i had a rack to work with and i was working and had money...I had just started to fix up my car with mods when he retired..So i never got to finish the suspension mods...I do plan on springs and want to lower it a tad (nothing drastic!!) just enough to get rid of my stock height ''wheel gap'' and get better center of gravity.....The front suspension is all stock for now! BOO!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I agree with Ramey and Jeff. Square are stronger though, just for your information SS. I'm an engineer and did the strength calculation
    It's on jackstands.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Hey guys I ordered and received my UMI adjustable lower control arms and panhard bar. I have one question how to do I torque the jam nuts on them? I've only ever torqued with a torque wrench and a socket. Do I need to use crows feet for it? The instructions on the LCA call for 72 ft-#'s. Dont' really want to guess on whats holding part of my suspension together....Also would you put antisieze on the threads near the jam nut? Thanks for the help.

Black

Oh yeah they are the on car adjustable LCA's (2039) and panhard bar (UMI #2037) if that helps...

My favorite method for jam nuts is to ever so carefully put some anti seize on the first few threads and install. Then, on clean threads which you didn't contaminate with anti seize, place a drop of Blue Loctite 242 thread locker and tighten the jam nut. We dot normally use a torque value or crows foot since we're not stretching a fastener to a certain point in its elastic range. Basically just make it "pretty tight".

On a side note, Loctite is a crutch we use in a situation like this. If you think about a rod bolt, the failure of which is catastrophic, we use moly paste and torque to a very specific stretch value. The moly is slippery but the fastener doesn't care. Jam nuts are kind of low tech and worthy of some glue to keep them in place.
    Ramey Womer
    Product Development Engineer
    ramey@umiperformance.com
    Join us on Facebook!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The 242 works well. We use it on our products at work

Black

Ok, I'll give the Locite a try....Is there any preferred order in terms of installation since I will be installing the LCA's & the panhard bar? Also I have UMI's 3 pt SFC's, I'm guessing when I install the LCA's I have to reload the SFC's or can I just removed the common bolt between the SFC's & LCA's and replace....thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Sales View Post
    My favorite method for jam nuts is to ever so carefully put some anti seize on the first few threads and install. Then, on clean threads which you didn't contaminate with anti seize, place a drop of Blue Loctite 242 thread locker and tighten the jam nut. We dot normally use a torque value or crows foot since we're not stretching a fastener to a certain point in its elastic range. Basically just make it "pretty tight".

On a side note, Loctite is a crutch we use in a situation like this. If you think about a rod bolt, the failure of which is catastrophic, we use moly paste and torque to a very specific stretch value. The moly is slippery but the fastener doesn't care. Jam nuts are kind of low tech and worthy of some glue to keep them in place.

Quote Originally Posted by 98BlackMambaWS6 View Post
    Ok, I'll give the Locite a try....Is there any preferred order in terms of installation since I will be installing the LCA's & the panhard bar? Also I have UMI's 3 pt SFC's, I'm guessing when I install the LCA's I have to reload the SFC's or can I just removed the common bolt between the SFC's & LCA's and replace....thanks for the help.
    You can install in either order, as they're somewhat unrelated.

The common bolt which goes through the SFC, chassis mount and LCA will need removed then reinstalled with the new LCA. If the bolt is difficult to remove, you may need to loosen the front mount bolts and reload them. If the bolt slips back in easily, you should be good to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information