black
    1999 camaro SS

2 big huge thumbs down for bilstein strut install

I attempted to change my front springs. I tried getting the nut off of the stud shaft but it just spun. used vice grips, gear wrench and avwhole lot of wd40. still no go. took it to the local shop. put it in the spring compressor and used an impact wrench.... no go. next took he took a torch to it and put a big pair of vice grips around the shaft of the strut (had to cut the sleeve off to do so). used the the impact for 10 more mins and it came off.

the guy told me that half the time he deals with these he has to take a grinder and cut the thing in half to get the spring perch off.

in the future I'm going with konis. this is just rediculous. luckily I only paid him 40 bucks to do both for me

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've heard a lot of horror stories about the top nut up front.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

There is a allen like tool you use to get the bolt off. i have done this 3 times so it's much nicer to be able to take it off at home rather than giving it to a guy with an impact gun and hope he doesn't spin the shock and score the metal piston. Put some marine grease on the nut area to help prevent rust, I have been back under mine a couple times and it's nice just being able to wrench it off worry/hassle free.
    Post some help wanted next time you need help-i'll work for pizza and beer

black
    1999 camaro SS

let me know where you got this special Allen wrench like tool.. I'll buy one right this second so I don't have to go through all that again.
    I went by the instructions on LS1howto.com. that's where I got the brilliant idea to use vice grips on the top of the threaded shaft. all it did was mangle up the edges and slip off 20+ times before I threw the vice grips against the wall

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I think it was Vic Hubbard's I am sure monument would have it to. Still don't know the name of it, I said I needed a key that fitted into the strut to take off the bolt. Something along the lines of strut bolt remover and the guy went into the back and showed me what he had and it worked.

black
    1999 camaro SS

k cool. VH is awesome. there's a couple guys working there that really know there stuff about F bodies too. I got some good help when I was doing work on my 95 TA

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

One of them is a member on the local site, since it's summer they should have a few of those shows where they have discounts on everything.

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

It's not necessarily the shock itself... it's just that once it gets old the nut on top tends to rust... had it happen twice in the middle of a spring install for me. Had one side done and couldn't get the other. I'm gonna have to make a trip to VH and get that tool as well!!

2000 Camaro SS, M6, Edelbrock LT's, Eibach Pro-Kit, Edelbrock Adjustable Coil-Overs
    1986 Camaro Iroc LS1 Swap In Progress

Blue Magic...
    Like Pepsi It's A Brand Name...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The tool certainly helps but sometimes there's no substitute for a rust penetrate.

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    The tool certainly helps but sometimes there's no substitute for a rust penetrate.
    Yeah I always spray them first with WD-40 and then let them sit for a little while. And it also helps to have an Impact Gun as well

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS View Post
    It's not necessarily the shock itself... it's just that once it gets old the nut on top tends to rust... had it happen twice in the middle of a spring install for me. Had one side done and couldn't get the other. I'm gonna have to make a trip to VH and get that tool as well!!
    Very true! The same I had the same thing happen to me and I had to grind it off when I changed out the stockers. It was only the drivers side that have me hell though.

Thread Information