Results 1 to 11 of 11

Is yer 6 speed worn prematurely

This is a discussion on Is yer 6 speed worn prematurely within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Do these t56 trannies wear prematurly cause they wern't built strong? Who has heard anything regarding the history of the ...

  1. #1
    Member denegrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    181

    midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

    Is yer 6 speed worn prematurely

    Do these t56 trannies wear prematurly cause they wern't built strong?
    Who has heard anything regarding the history of the t56's?
    Does anyone know ar admit if they have one for sale that reason their selling a 6 speed ls1 car 98 -2002 is probably cause its so expensive to repair them so they just sell the car>?
    Anyone realize the inheritant weaknesses in the t56's and why?
    Any info on this comment or experience i'd apreciate responses
    Later
    Last edited by denegrader; 06-16-2011 at 12:31 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member wileyCoyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Centerville OH
    Posts
    1,591

    blue
    1999 TransAm

    well i guess form what i've gathered lurking around here is that the t-56 is pretty good, ..it's the rearend/diff that sucks (this is an understatement BTW). i have 157k mi on my t-56, so far ok i think, only thing i had replaced is clutch/flywheel/etc.

  3. #3
    Member denegrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    181

    midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

    coyote i read recently that from 97 up borgwarner sold the t56's to tremec who sent em to mexico and installed cheap gears synchros ect
    its what i read.
    that modded they dont hold up and that most that are sold w/ 6 speed actually usually a problem like jumpin out, grinding ect and that their not repaired cause their expensive to repair.












    Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    well i guess form what i've gathered lurking around here is that the t-56 is pretty good, ..it's the rearend/diff that sucks (this is an understatement BTW). i have 157k mi on my t-56, so far ok i think, only thing i had replaced is clutch/flywheel/etc.

  4. #4
    Senior Member wileyCoyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Centerville OH
    Posts
    1,591

    blue
    1999 TransAm

    Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    coyote i read recently that from 97 up borgwarner sold the t56's to tremec who sent em to mexico and installed cheap gears synchros ect
    its what i read.
    that modded they dont hold up and that most that are sold w/ 6 speed actually usually a problem like jumpin out, grinding ect and that their not repaired cause their expensive to repair.
    yeah, i've heard of folks w/ those issues on this forum, ..but i think usually they are pretty heavily modded or driving aggressively/track? is yours having a problem? i'm assuming yours is a DD based on what you've mentioned in other threads. what i did is when i had my clutch replaced, had new synthetic fluid put in there, so hopefully mine will hold up...

  5. #5
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Weak links of the T-56:

    - synchro's are hollow stamped and not solid
    - bushings are plastic and not bronze
    - 3-4 shift fork is AL and not steel
    - shift rails are poorly designed which do not allow you to shift it really hard/fast at WOT

    With that said, the T-56 is a pretty stout transmission though.

    Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones and my 3-4 synchro keys smashed with only 12K miles on the car and the car got stuck in 4th gear. I've since upgraded to a built RPM T-56 and have had no issues.

    Parts can be had cheap if you make the swaps yourself.

  6. #6
    Member denegrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    181

    midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

    My cars stock and not a daily driver, just wonderin i heard it was in the ls1 cars and that im thinkin 93-96 lt1 cars a used tranny would bolt right up when they were made here in U.S. by borgwarner and not tremec?




    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Weak links of the T-56:

    - synchro's are hollow stamped and not solid
    - bushings are plastic and not bronze
    - 3-4 shift fork is AL and not steel
    - shift rails are poorly designed which do not allow you to shift it really hard/fast at WOT

    With that said, the T-56 is a pretty stout transmission though.

    Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones and my 3-4 synchro keys smashed with only 12K miles on the car and the car got stuck in 4th gear. I've since upgraded to a built RPM T-56 and have had no issues.

    Parts can be had cheap if you make the swaps yourself.

  7. #7
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    My cars stock and not a daily driver, just wonderin i heard it was in the ls1 cars and that im thinkin 93-96 lt1 cars a used tranny would bolt right up when they were made here in U.S. by borgwarner and not tremec?
    The LT1 trans won't bolt right up. It has a different input shaft and I think there are a few other little things that need to be changed for it to work. The LS1 T56 is a decent transmission. Of course there's always room for improvement but I wouldn't say its not strong or a cheap piece of crap.

  8. #8
    None Shall Pass Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East of Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,828

    Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The LT1 trans won't bolt right up. It has a different input shaft and I think there are a few other little things that need to be changed for it to work. The LS1 T56 is a decent transmission. Of course there's always room for improvement but I wouldn't say its not strong or a cheap piece of crap.


    I've had mine upgraded to a Stage 3, and it holds up to everything I've thrown at it.....which is quite a bit. In stock form, it does have a few weak componants, but will usually hold up for some time. Same goes for the rear end. It's usually when you start adding power, that's when you'll find the weaker componants. But......you gotta pay to play.

  9. #9
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    IMHO, not too many transmissions will hold up to abuse in stock form whether built in mexico or on the moon... If you're just driving normal and not hammering the snot out of it, it should last well over 100k with proper servicing.. If you race alot, and/or like to shift fast and hard then upgrades should be a consideration..

  10. #10
    expensive tires az gt eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    1,951

    white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    IMHO, not too many transmissions will hold up to abuse in stock form whether built in mexico or on the moon... If you're just driving normal and not hammering the snot out of it, it should last well over 100k with proper servicing.. If you race alot, and/or like to shift fast and hard then upgrades should be a consideration..
    So true, and you have to remember that once you change or modify something, you have to look at how it impacts the rest of the car. You change the clutch to put in a "racing" clutch, you need to look at the clutch master. Put on DR's look at the rear end. To OP, you want a reliable car, go buy something new with a warranty. Trade that camaro in. Everything on this car will eventually fail. You can spend your time fixing things as they go, or be preventitive, and fix things in advance on your own time and plan your expenses. Buy a chilton's manual and look over the maintenance schedules. Adhere to them. Check your air pressure in your tires and flush your fluids.

  11. #11
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    IMHO, not too many transmissions will hold up to abuse in stock form whether built in mexico or on the moon... If you're just driving normal and not hammering the snot out of it, it should last well over 100k with proper servicing.. If you race alot, and/or like to shift fast and hard then upgrades should be a consideration..
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: CAM worn lobe??
    By nativetalon in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
  2. Worn Out Upholsetry
    By navyLS1 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 07:40 PM
  3. new personal best...worn brakes
    By 0rion in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 04:15 AM
  4. Worn out stock LS1 rockers?
    By LT4Vette in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 07:07 PM
  5. Posi rear's are fun with worn tires
    By 98-LS1 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 02:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •