SOM
    2002 SS

WTFFF I keep missing 4th Gear !!!

WHen I'm WOT I love winding 3rd to redline and shifting to 4th hard before slowing down. Lately just the last 2 times I did this I got a scratch and Heard the motor slightly rev a little buck at speed. Luckily both times I had the clutch in right away. I saw the skip shift light come on both times. Is 3-4 sloppy with the stock shifter? Maybe I'm just getting excited with not keeping the clutch down fast enough.

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

syncros maybe???

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

look at the forks
    3/4 forks are known to bend ..this is due to there being to much play in the gate of the stock shifter,,,causes the fork pads to get worn out really fast and leads to bent forks

time to upgrade to a steel 2/4 fork and bronze fork pads
    here

SOM
    2002 SS

Im wondering if maybe I'm just being sloppy at powershifting and letting the clutch out too soon. Thanks for the link I will definitely check all my options. I may even consider a short shifter now. I didnt want to bother because quite franly im happy with the stock shifters feel but perhaps it will make it easier to know which gear I'm in. AT 80% throttle and shifting fast at lower rpms it never misses 4th. It's only happened when Im all out checking lanes and trying to smack 4th at redline.

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    look at the forks
    3/4 forks are known to bend ..this is due to there being to much play in the gate of the stock shifter,,,causes the fork pads to get worn out really fast and leads to bent forks

time to upgrade to a steel 2/4 fork and bronze fork pads
    here
    That hard to install?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

its defiantly a shop job imho

also get a new shifter..like the pro 5.0

The most likely cause of excessive shift fork wear is people driving while their hand is resting on the shifter.

We all do it and it's a bad habbit. I can't tell you how many manual tranny's I've redone and found worn shift forks,,,even in the muncies with their cast iron shift forks.

Since there can be so many little issues with these 4th gen's like clutch engage/disengagement I'd start with the easy stuff first.
    You could try an aftermarket shifter. Changing the hydraulic fluid and bleeding the system completely usually helps and is general maintainance anyway. The hydraulic fluid loves to pull moisture out of the air and give a spongy pedal feel and sloppy clutch action,,,not to mention being close to heat doesn't help it either.
    Then you can get more involved with drilling the orifice in the line that restricts fluid movement for faster clutch action.
    An adjustable master cylinder is another option,,,I know that fixed my clutch woes.

From there I'd start looking inside the tranny if you still suspect something.

Thread Information