Black
    69 Camaro Pro-Touring

Won't Go Into Reverse

I did a search and didn't see anything similar to my problem.

I have a 06 GTO T-56 sitting on the bench with a new B&M shifter installed. I can go through all the gears but the shifter will not enter the fourth gate over to allow me to push the shifter up into reverse.

Anybody have some ideas that I can look for?

Thanks!

Larry

Black
    69 Camaro Pro-Touring

Update:

Thought of something...

When the reverse lockout system is activated, does it keep the shifter from going into the gate or does it allow it to go into the gate, but not up into reverse? My thinking is that maybe the solenoid or other part of the system is jammed.

Larry

Black
    69 Camaro Pro-Touring

Update 2:

I removed the reverse lockout solenoid and discovered that is what is causing the problem; the solenoid rod is spring-loaded in the out position. Is this normal? That tells me I wouldn't be able to put it in reverse if the car is turned off. That doesn't seem right!

In a typical LS conversion into an F-Body is the reverse lockout programmed for use? Maybe I can just plug the hole if it's not.
    Last edited by 69er; 02-16-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Sounds like yours is working normal. The reverse lockout will not allow reverse until the key is on and power is signaled to the transmission.

So you won't be able to find reverse while it's sitting on the bench.

Yes this function is also on the Fbodies. Reverse is syncronized so you can put in reverse while rolling forward, but in the tune that is limited to about 3 mph while rolling forward or backward. Above 3 mph and the lockout engages. You can adjust that in the tune, but I see no reason why.

Since reverse is in a precarious position, I'd recommend keeping the lockout feature. As you are going for 5th it's very easy to get hung up in the reverse gate (or even engage it) if the lockout feature isn't there. Besides, there is no reason not to have it.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree with FBJ. It's there for a good reason, and can keep severe damage from occuring.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Is it even possible (mechanically) to engage reverse if the car already has enough forward speed to be in 5th gear? I always thought that the motion of the transmission would just cause you to "grind" if you tried to hit reverse while in forward motion? I have never tried, and never will, so I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Is it even possible (mechanically) to engage reverse if the car already has enough forward speed to be in 5th gear? I always thought that the motion of the transmission would just cause you to "grind" if you tried to hit reverse while in forward motion? I have never tried, and never will, so I don't know...
    It would be possible if you disabled the reverse lockout like the original poster mentioned.

Otherwise no, it is set in the tune to engage above 3 or 4 mph. Reverse is syncronized in these transmissions, so it will never grind in reverse while rolling forward (unless the syncro is shot).

Black
    1999 Camaro

Hi I have a 1999 v6 with a manual transmission and i went to reverse and it didnt move then it made a loud noise and shut down. The car was driving fine for about 3 days and today i for got my reverse didnt work and went to reverse and it got stuck in the reverse gear. I had to get in the back seat to push it out of gear. The car was driving fine till i switched to 5th gear. When i put the car in 5th gear it was like i was not in gear. DO ANYONE KNOW WHATS WRONG AND HOW MUCH THIS WILL COST TO FIX. THANKS

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Hard to say without a teardown, but I'd guess something fairly major if it got stuck in gear and stalled the engine. Cost will depend on what you are able to do yourself. If you can remove the tranny, you can save a decent amount, and take it to a shop. I'd still guess near $1000 give or take.

Black
    1999 Camaro

I can replace the transmission, but this is my first manual and not sure about if i have to change the gear box or not. ( or is that part of the whole transmission?)

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You're better off removing the entire unit.

Black
    1999 Camaro

ok thanks

Thread Information