Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

will not come out of reverse

hey guys, I need some help. for some reason, my t56 will not come out of reverse. I can actually put my shifter on neutral position and if I take the clutch
    out, it will back up. Now, if I put it on first, and let the clutch out, the car will actually die, meaning that the reverse gear and first gear are engage at the same time, it started doing this like 3 weeks ago, but i used to put in on reverse 2 or 3 times, and it would disengage like that. But now, no matter what I do it is still stuck in reverse, any of you guys have any idea what this might be?
    please help, need car to go to college and work. THANKS

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

come on guys, need some opinions here, will highly appreciate any comments or opinions. thanks.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

That sounds like something that will require the tranny coming out either way, so you may just want to get on with it.

I suspect most of the cost would be in having the tranny removed, unless you are doing it yourself.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

well, I am thinking of doing it myself, the only thing i can think of is a bend fork, I changed 5th and 6th gears with the sincro like 6 month ago, and the reverse fork and syncro lokked ok, but i guess I wil have to go in again and check to see whats wrong

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Fun, fun, fun!

I suspect that when you replaced the OD gears before, you re-used the reverse fork snap ring. It is prolly over extended and came off. You now rave reverse AND any other gear you select---which will stall the engine. You must take it appart again. You may be lucky and there is no new damage to fix. New rings should always be used on a rebuild.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird View Post
    I suspect that when you replaced the OD gears before, you re-used the reverse fork snap ring. It is prolly over extended and came off. You now rave reverse AND any other gear you select---which will stall the engine. You must take it appart again. You may be lucky and there is no new damage to fix. New rings should always be used on a rebuild.
    I did re-used the snap rings, and I recall now that it went in not as tight as it came out, i really hope that it is just the ringhs and not anything else. thanks alot. this makes allot of sense and i really hope that this is the cause of my problem.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

hey guys, just wanted to let you guys know what was the problem, I finally got under the car and did not even had to take the transmission down, just unbotled the the rear cap of the transmission from under the car and found out that the snap ring that holds the reverse fork was lose, all it took was replaising it, and i got a good transmission again. thanks alot 30thbird, you pointed the problem out, i just had to look for it, once again, thanks.

Glad to help out.

Thread Information