Black
    1999 Trans Am

Will the LS7 Clutch be good for me?

My trusty GM slave cylinder finally went out the other day after getting on it hard through 4th. Clutch pedal sticking...getting stuck engaged and disengaged....getting stuck in and out of gear...all that good stuff...

My question is; while the shop has the transmission out to replace the slave, would I be wise to go ahead and swap out to a LS7 clutch/LS2 flywheel even if my stock cluth and flywheel looks decent? I know there isn't really a right answer to this question, but I'm trying to get an idea what others would do. The car is pretty much stock for the most part.

Also while they're in there, is there anything else I should have them look at or replace to save on labor costs? Would changing out the clutch master cylinder be a good idea? (If they do replace the master cylinder, do I need to go with the 01+, or will I be alright with a stock replacement?)

One other question...I asked the shop about doing the drill mod to prevent more problems with the hydraulics in the future, but they wouldn't do it. My question is, should the drill mod be something I do after they put in the 01+ slave or should everything be good with out it?

thanks alot for your help

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    My trusty GM slave cylinder finally went out the other day after getting on it hard through 4th. Clutch pedal sticking...getting stuck engaged and disengaged....getting stuck in and out of gear...all that good stuff...

My question is; while the shop has the transmission out to replace the slave, would I be wise to go ahead and swap out to a LS7 clutch/LS2 flywheel even if my stock cluth and flywheel looks decent? I know there isn't really a right answer to this question, but I'm trying to get an idea what others would do. The car is pretty much stock for the most part.

Also while they're in there, is there anything else I should have them look at or replace to save on labor costs? Would changing out the clutch master cylinder be a good idea? (If they do replace the master cylinder, do I need to go with the 01+, or will I be alright with a stock replacement?)

One other question...I asked the shop about doing the drill mod to prevent more problems with the hydraulics in the future, but they wouldn't do it. My question is, should the drill mod be something I do after they put in the 01+ slave or should everything be good with out it?

thanks alot for your help
    How many miles are on the stock clutch? Unless its really low i would put in the LS7 clutch / LS2 flywheel combo. I have it and love it!! Holds lots of power and feels just like stock.

As far as the master cylinder - you can replace it if you want, but it is not necessary. It doesn't require the trans to be down so you can always replace it at a later date.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

i just got mine installed since my ram powergrip hd went out...this thing is super soft, but grabs nicely! I wish i would've done it earlier.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i put in the ls7/2 combo, replaced my slave and master and did the drill mod myself. huge improvement. i would say do it depending on your mileage, it will be worth it. and i think that all the new master cylinders are the udated design of the 01+.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I ended up going with the Luk Pro Gold clutch/Luk Aluminum flywheel becuase I got a good deal on it. The mechanic I was talking to said its just like the LS7 clutch. Only problem I have now is a really soft clutch pedal...hardly any pressure against my foot. I'm pretty sure I got it all bled. I seems to grab and shift fine, its just the the pedal itself seems really light. Does this sound right?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

did you do the drill mod? how much did everything set you back: parts, labor?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    did you do the drill mod? how much did everything set you back: parts, labor?
    Haven't done the drill mod yet. Its in the near future though. All total everything set me back about $1,700. I know its high, but I'm sure letting the mechanic pick the higher priced parts he wanted to use will make him want to back his work for a while. That price includes slave cylinder, Luk Pro Gold clutch, aluminum flywheel, and labor -and- master cylinder and labor.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Haven't done the drill mod yet. Its in the near future though. All total everything set me back about $1,700. I know its high, but I'm sure letting the mechanic pick the higher priced parts he wanted to use will make him want to back his work for a while. That price includes slave cylinder, Luk Pro Gold clutch,
    I'm sure it will be a good clutch, because LUK also makes the LS7 clutch and many other GM ones. But damn $1700 - i never got a quote that high. Most of it was probably labor though. I did it myself and its a bitch to get the T56 out.

Thread Information