Will any t56 transmission work

2001 ws6 ls1 with ls6 conversion. Searching on ebay for a new t56 trans I see alot them. will any of the t56 transmissions work?

You answer in LS1Tech post

silver
    97 thunderbird

hey, noob here.

i think this is the exact post i was looking to create. i am doing a custom project and need a tranny out of 98-02 f-body. i need it because it has the shifter back in the furthest position. i think it is maybe an inch and a half futrher back than the LT-1 trannies. i will be useing an aftermarket bellhousing, so are the ls-1 and lt-1 trannirs exactly the same. the most critical dimention i am looking at is the distance the shifter is fron the bellhouseing.

what post are you refering to in the tech section 30thbird? i thought this was the tech section?

He had duplicate posts. If the LS1 shifter position is critical, get the LS1 box. Conversion of anLT1 box is possible but $$. Be sure you get the LS1 version of the bell as well.

silver
    97 thunderbird

does anyone have any measurements from bellhouseing/transmission face to shifter location on lls-1 lt-1 t-56 transmissions

The rear face of block to the shifter stub ( in neutral) is 730.6mm. The bell is124mm long.for the LT1.
    For the LS1 the RFB dim. is 746.5mm and the bell is 140mm.
    If shifter position is a critical feature, you may want to look at a Mustang T56.
    Last edited by 30thbird; 04-19-2006 at 05:00 AM.

silver
    97 thunderbird

funny you should say so. talking shifter length, the ls-1 transmission is less then 2 inches shorter that m5r2, the transmission in the 5 speed super coupe. this tranny is closely related to the one in the f-150. these transmission are a good 4-6 inches longer than the mustang transmission. the shifter on the mustang transmission will come up somewhere in the middle of my radio.
    Last edited by BLUNDERBIRD; 04-27-2006 at 01:09 PM.

You will need to look at the ratios those boxes offer. I would steer away from a truck trans. Besides the clunky operation, truck units tend to have too deep a gearing . Have you looked at the new Mustang trans? The only way that shifter will be at your radio is if you sit in the back seat to drive.

silver
    97 thunderbird

e you talking about the 05-06 mustang transmission setup or the new mustang t-56 transmission. the new mustang has it's shifter conected to the transmission by cables. that is the sloppiest setup i ever could think of. and i would imagine it would get wores with use and as the cables stretch. and yes, with that transmission, the part where a shifter would bolt on to the transmission would be located under my radio on my thunderbird. t-birds and mustangs are two completely different beasts and thats why i cant use a mustang transmission with out lots of money, time, trouble, and custom fabracation to move the shifter back.

The 05 and newer Mustangs do NOT have cable shifters . The knob is approx 3 feet from the rear face of block. The rail stub is 10 inches shorter than that. ( the shifter reaches rearward 10 inches). All three model manuals used in that car have this remote shifter arrangement.Yes you may have to cobble/ car craft to do the install but did you think you were just going to throw something in there?
    BTW the new GT500 trans is a TR6060 six speed similar to a T56 but all new.
    You could use the TR3650 from the GT as well .
    Both units have integral bells and would require a weldment clutch housing if you use anything besides a Ford modular motor . Actually it would seem that your project would go smoother if you were to stay all Ford.

Thread Information