why is the t56 notchy?

This is a discussion on why is the t56 notchy? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I was just curious as to what actually makes the t56 have more of a notchy feel than other transmissions? ...

Black
    1999 camaro

why is the t56 notchy?

I was just curious as to what actually makes the t56 have more of a notchy feel than other transmissions? Is it the way the synchro rings are designed that make it feel like this? Just curious more than anything.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Poor shift rail design.

A poor hydraulic system in our cars doesn't help matters when shifting at high RPM either.

An aftermarket adjustable MC coupled with a nice aftermarket shifter usually helps some, but it still doesn't shift as smooth as most would like.

Bright Red
    1999 Camaro Z28

I hear you! My '84 F150 with 230,000 miles shifts smoother than my Camaro!

Replaced the shifter 10 years ago to an SLP short throw which wasn't much better. I am in the process of upgrading all the hydraulics and clutch so I'm going to try another shifter - PRO 5.0, MGW or B&M. Not decided yet. I wish I could get an old T56 to take apart and see this shift rail design that 35th-ANV-SS talks about.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Poor shift rail design.

A poor hydraulic system in our cars doesn't help matters when shifting at high RPM either.

An aftermarket adjustable MC coupled with a nice aftermarket shifter usually helps some, but it still doesn't shift as smooth as most would like.
    Right on the money...shift rail design isn't the best. Although Tremec has made improvements over the years. The TKO overdrive trannies they sell for retro swaps has improved greatly. At first they weren't great either, but now with different sincros and redesigned shifter rails, they are pretty smooth. Still not muncie smooth though
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-15-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Thread Information