Red
    02 SS camaro

whats a slap shift tranny?

is it like the transmissions that they put on the newer cars where its auto and u can throw it in to manual and shift up and down without the clutch.
    i apologize if i posted this in the wrong place but this is my first actual post. please forgive me mods and citizens of ls1.com.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Slap shift usually refers to a tranny with a manual valve body conversion. In other words it's an automatic but you have to shift it up through the gears by simply "slapping" the shifter. It's a special kind of shifter.

Red
    02 SS camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    Slap shift usually refers to a tranny with a manual valve body conversion. In other words it's an automatic but you have to shift it up through the gears by simply "slapping" the shifter. It's a special kind of shifter.
    Thank you for the help! Is there a link of some sort that you can give me to help explain further? It isn't like the hybrid trans that i usually see.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=7441.0

Pretty much it only allows you to advance one gear no matter how hard you push up on the shifter.

Red
    02 SS camaro

http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=7441.0

Pretty much it only allows you to advance one gear no matter how hard you push up on the shifter.
    Thanks a lot. It still seems a little bit confusing I'm prolly gonna have to see on in person to understand.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Yeah it's not as complicated as it sounds once you see one in person. ALot of drag cars use them.

Red
    02 SS camaro

Yeah it's not as complicated as it sounds once you see one in person. ALot of drag cars use them.
    I'm sorry no one i know has one its a still a bit confusing. Why would you want to shift one at a time?

Wait! is it for people that have auto's and want a manual? Because if then i could see why you would. idk ill see one in person. lol
    Last edited by lookngoodSS; 11-05-2009 at 06:52 PM.

hugger orange

B&M mega shifter is a good example, its a ratchet shifter (slap shifter)
    for example in my goat, I have it setup with three mode options, normal, performance, and manual depending on which button I push.
    the stock 4l60e automatic 4 speed is computer controled, if you put the shifter in first gear, the car will take off in first but will still shift to second, if you had the shifter in 2nd, it will still start out in 1st and shift to second.......with the computer set to manual it will stay in whatever gear you put the shifter in.......this is great for autox racing where you want to hold the same gear and not shift through the course.
    using the ratchet shifter, if I'm in 1st gear all I have to do is (slap) the shifter foeward and it goes right into second, (slap) it back and it goes into 1st......thatway you don't have to worry about accidently pushing it up into 3rd or 4th

Navy Blue metallic
    1999 vette 6sp

Cool stick with a stick.

One big disadvantage of that setup is: with a close ratio like the '99 6speed I have, you often want to skip a gear or two - as in the factory mandated 1-4 shift (have to bypass the lockout feature to get around this). Heavy and slow traffic, 1-3-5-, sometimes 6. Driving this way 25 mpg or so around town. I guess thats why the 6 speed was a $825.00 option - much better contol and economy. Give me a stck any day!

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by granddad View Post
    One big disadvantage of that setup is: with a close ratio like the '99 6speed I have, you often want to skip a gear or two - as in the factory mandated 1-4 shift (have to bypass the lockout feature to get around this). Heavy and slow traffic, 1-3-5-, sometimes 6. Driving this way 25 mpg or so around town. I guess thats why the 6 speed was a $825.00 option - much better contol and economy. Give me a stck any day!
    A slap shifter is for a automatic car. The usual use for it is on a vehicle that has an automatic transmission with a manual valve body. in other words you have to shift the trans. It has no computer controls or vaccum controls that tell the transmission when to shift up and when to shift down.

hugger orange

A slap shifter is for a automatic car. The usual use for it is on a vehicle that has an automatic transmission with a manual valve body. in other words you have to shift the trans. It has no computer controls or vaccum controls that tell the transmission when to shift up and when to shift down.
    I went in and wired a push button momentary button to ground from pinout 31 and one from pinout 71 so I have the choice of normal shift, perfomance shift, or full manual shift depending on which button I push......at startup it defaults back to normal.
    with Hptuners I setup higher shift points, less delay and slightly higher pressure in the (performnce mode) to use at the track, my normal setting are tuned a lot more tame, then the full manual is good for autox.....put it in 2nd gear and it will stay there.....can also lock the 3,800 stall at any speed or throttle position

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    B&M mega shifter is a good example, its a ratchet shifter (slap shifter)
    for example in my goat, I have it setup with three mode options, normal, performance, and manual depending on which button I push.
    the stock 4l60e automatic 4 speed is computer controled, if you put the shifter in first gear, the car will take off in first but will still shift to second, if you had the shifter in 2nd, it will still start out in 1st and shift to second.......with the computer set to manual it will stay in whatever gear you put the shifter in.......this is great for autox racing where you want to hold the same gear and not shift through the course.
    using the ratchet shifter, if I'm in 1st gear all I have to do is (slap) the shifter foeward and it goes right into second, (slap) it back and it goes into 1st......thatway you don't have to worry about accidently pushing it up into 3rd or 4th
    a stock 4l60e when in 1st will only stay in first.

depending on the year..if the selector is in 2nd it may or may not start in 2..and will only stay in between those two gears..1 and 2nd ...3rd will go through all 3 gears but lock out 4th which is the OD..and then D of course uses all 4 .......just thought i would clear that up

Thread Information