What is that mod that you MUST do to make it so you can spin the wheels going 2 2nd

Basically on a stock camaro firebird, I heard there is something that LIMITS how fast the clutch can be engaged.

The problem is this causes it to be next to impossible to get a GOOD spin into 2nd gear. Also - sometimes at this one intersection if I have to gas it, it slips if i do it too quick.

I heard it's some kind of bolt or something along those lines...

Anyone heard of it?

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

Its called the "Drill Mod"

and your slowing yourself down spinning so much, its funny that your trying to spin more

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzed
    Its called the "Drill Mod"

and your slowing yourself down spinning so much, its funny that your trying to spin more
    thank you, but you didn't understand what I said.

In this intersection, I would rather have control over how much the tire spins or doesnt spin when I am accelerating, -INSTEAD OF- giving it gas and having the clutch slip.

that way I could get the MOST possible accelration. the way it is now I might as well just be spinning the tires.

How do I do the "drill mod" ------any tips? Im going to search now.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

you want tire spin???? hmmmmm somethin aint right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po
    you want tire spin???? hmmmmm somethin aint right here.
    I want to be able to choose myself how fast or slow I engage the clutch.

That way i can control how fast I go forward, rather then the damn GM mechanics deciding to make my clutch slip insead.

The Rookie
    how hard is the "drill mod" to perform?

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

I don't quite follow you. I put on a high flow lid, high flow y-pipe, and Loud mouth in one night. I can spin all day long. I achieved 3rd gear chirp with 2 passengers that night.

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

Its a restrictor in the clutch line Rookie, just check out the install U link and you can see yourself. its not bad at all

The Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzed
    Its a restrictor in the clutch line Rookie, just check out the install U link and you can see yourself. its not bad at all
    Is it worth the effort? Do you have it done?

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

I replaced the entire line with a stronger and larger hydrolic line from a local Heavy Equipment shop, So I guess you could say I have. And I can its very worth it

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by J3ff
    I want to be able to choose myself how fast or slow I engage the clutch.

That way i can control how fast I go forward, rather then the damn GM mechanics deciding to make my clutch slip insead.
    Tire slippage is a different issue. A good driver can engage the clutch quickly enough to make a shift without spinning the tires. Ever hear a really good stick driver at the track? Some people couldn't tell if it was a stick or an auto if the driver is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub
    Tire slippage is a different issue. A good driver can engage the clutch quickly enough to make a shift without spinning the tires. Ever hear a really good stick driver at the track? Some people couldn't tell if it was a stick or an auto if the driver is good enough.
    Alright guys. Since I'm obviously not saying it correctly here it goes.

There is an intersection that sort of looks like a 'y' where the RIGHT line in the letter is a main road, and the LEFT part of the y is a backroad. are ya with me so far?

I am on the left part of the y, going towards the main road. This road is a steep uphill to a flat main road.

Many times, I have come to that stop sign and when dropping the clutch, the tires do not spin, but the clutch SLIPS!

This Means i am NOT GETTING maximum forward force from my tires.

I would rather have the ability to spin my tires in this situation, that way I can keep it on the edge of spinning and not spinning, in order to get out of the fuckin way of other cars!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not really worried about 1st to 2nd, I am worried about getting the MAXimum amount of forward force out of my car!

If my clutch slips because some dumb asshole at GM decided that it'd be better to limit how fast the clutch can engage..

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Sounds like you need a new clutch.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    Sounds like you need a new clutch.
    My thoughts exactly.

If your clutch is slipping, then there is your problem. The drill mod supposedly would help you get into gear faster. See the 98-00 cars came with different, crappier hydaulics...in 01-02, they switched to better stuff. Lots of times people have difficulty shifting their 98-00 cars into 2nd or 3rd gear at a higher rpm - basically the fluid is not moving where it needs to be fast enough, so it's like shifting without a clutch.

I had that problem myself - at the drag strip I would be locked out of gear completely. I did the drill mod and it did nothing for my car. When I changed out the clutch, I also bought brand new master & slave cylinders (01-02 parts supercede the 98-00 hydraulics now). I have had zero problems since.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    My thoughts exactly.

If your clutch is slipping, then there is your problem. The drill mod supposedly would help you get into gear faster. See the 98-00 cars came with different, crappier hydaulics...in 01-02, they switched to better stuff. Lots of times people have difficulty shifting their 98-00 cars into 2nd or 3rd gear at a higher rpm - basically the fluid is not moving where it needs to be fast enough, so it's like shifting without a clutch.

I had that problem myself - at the drag strip I would be locked out of gear completely. I did the drill mod and it did nothing for my car. When I changed out the clutch, I also bought brand new master & slave cylinders (01-02 parts supercede the 98-00 hydraulics now). I have had zero problems since.

Hope that helps.
    I wana do that...........but strapped for cash!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea me 2

i'm gonna try the drill mod this spring and hope it works out so i dont have to get a slave and master cyl.
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

BLACK
    1984 TRANSAM

like everyone has said, i think you need a new clutch

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

If your clutch is slipping like you describe in post #13, then there is no way you're going to get a GOOD spin into 2nd gear, as described in post #1, without a new clutch. Leaving a stop to accelerate up a hill uses less than 10% of the power you're trying to feed through the clutch as you power shift 1-2 or 2-3.

The drill mod will perhaps help save your next clutch, but this one is toast.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

SNKSKNR
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    If your clutch is slipping like you describe in post #13, then there is no way you're going to get a GOOD spin into 2nd gear, as described in post #1, without a new clutch. Leaving a stop to accelerate up a hill uses less than 10% of the power you're trying to feed through the clutch as you power shift 1-2 or 2-3.

The drill mod will perhaps help save your next clutch, but this one is toast.
    We have a winner right here!!! My words, My thoughts, EXACTLY. AMEN HAMMERTIME!

Thread Information