Thread: What fluid?

flat black

What fluid?

what fluid do yall run in your M6's...

I just drained and refilled with Mobil 1 synthetic Dexron III, anyone have this in their trans...mines been rebuilt with kevlar blockers...after the fluid change shifts are much firmer...but i seem to go through fluid quite rapidly. is this just going to be the nature of the trans with the Kevlar Blocker rings? within 10k mi the previous fluid was all burnt up...not exactly what i would call normal...any help?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

hmm... i think almost any dexron III will work fine.

What do you mean you go through oil quickly? Is there a leak?Be careful to judge the oil burnt. With the carbon linings, the oil will naturally get a darkened color from the particle wear. Mobil 1 ATF is a good product for your box. The carbon linings do produce a more harsh shift( over the paper-lined parts you replaced)

flat black
    found that normal Dexron III..even with a friction modifier will not work in this transmission any longer...that was the whole point of the upgraded blocker rings was to firm up the shifts and to make sure that i had a god shift....dark fluid is one thing but when it smells like varnish thats def. another...Talked with 2 GM world class technicians they both said with the way i have the trans geared, the abuse it recieves, and the type of blocker rings its going to burn through transmission fluid a lot faster...on top of that my slave cylinder was fried which was creating a lot of extra heat with no way to get rid of the it...all in all the decision has been made to change the fluid every 10-15k mi. the Dexron III after 10k mi starts to break down...too much heat

If you put friction modifier in there with the original paper-lined rings, you are the cause of the burnt oil and damaged rings.The carbon-lined rings may survive a modifier but it will not improve the shifts. If those W-C techs told you to put a modifier in your trans. they were just lining up a later repair.If you have enough heat to "break down" the oil( that would be operation at/ above 250-300 F regularly) you need a cooler more than oil changes.

silver
    2000 ws6 transam

try Royal Purple-Synchromax Its expensive but worth it

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I had Redline D4 in mine for at least 20,000 miles and changed it recently and it looked just as clean and red as when it went in.

Thread Information