White
    2001 WS6 Pontiac Trans Am

Question Vibration and Shaking

I have had this car for about a year and I'm having all sorts of issues... fuel pump, rear end replace, ignition switch, exhaust system... and that's just a few things! Anyway, I've had this sound, like a chirping(metalic scraping/Squeaking) noise that happens when I push in the clutch and when I'm stopped at a light. Usually gets more pronounce when I have been driving; not when I first start it up. But it keeps getting worse. Any Ideas??

Also now my shifter knob has a weird shaking(bobbing up and down) along with the car shaking with it like something isn't braced right. What could it be?

Also with my clutch... whenever I let off the clutch and apply gas, no matter how smooth I try to make it, it clunks into place and shakes the car.

...And something going on with the brakes... when I apply them, as the car slows down right before I'm stopped, it feels like I just stomped on the brakes... almost like the back ones aren't working or something... bad suspension?? I know this should be on another thread sorry...

So many problems with this car... I'm just scratching the surface. I had a 96 WS6 that I loved but some b@#ch ran me off the road and totaled it... so now I have this 01 WS6 riddled with problems because I was too eager to find a replacement. Whoever had this car tried to pimp it out and so I'm having to undo his screw ups to make it stock again.

I never could get this to post anywhere else, still giving me the blank page thing after submit...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by manibot View Post
    I have had this car for about a year and I'm having all sorts of issues... fuel pump, rear end replace, ignition switch, exhaust system... and that's just a few things! Anyway, I've had this sound, like a chirping(metalic scraping/Squeaking) noise that happens when I push in the clutch and when I'm stopped at a light. Usually gets more pronounce when I have been driving; not when I first start it up. But it keeps getting worse. Any Ideas??
    Throw out bearing or pilot bearing
    Also now my shifter knob has a weird shaking(bobbing up and down) along with the car shaking with it like something isn't braced right. What could it be?
    Maybe transmission mount

Also with my clutch... whenever I let off the clutch and apply gas, no matter how smooth I try to make it, it clunks into place and shakes the car.
    bad trans mount or loose torque arm

...And something going on with the brakes... when I apply them, as the car slows down right before I'm stopped, it feels like I just stomped on the brakes... almost like the back ones aren't working or something... bad suspension?? I know this should be on another thread sorry...
    Brakes usually get grabby when they are contaminated with grease, oil, or brake fluid. Inspect all the brake pads and replace as necessary

So many problems with this car... I'm just scratching the surface. I had a 96 WS6 that I loved but some b@#ch ran me off the road and totaled it... so now I have this 01 WS6 riddled with problems because I was too eager to find a replacement. Whoever had this car tried to pimp it out and so I'm having to undo his screw ups to make it stock again.

I never could get this to post anywhere else, still giving me the blank page thing after submit...
    see the answers in bold in the above quote

White

Torque arm mount changed

So I bought a Torque arm mount(energy suspensions) and the only thing it seemed to improve was the weird braking issue. I guess because when it was bad and I went to stop the back end moved forward a bit... so that issue is solved. It seems to have made the shifting clunk less pronounced... I can still tell it is there. The shaking and vibrating is still there though I haven't done the other mounts(motor and tranny). I'm just wondering what else might cause that bobbing/shaking issue. If a clutch is going bad would that cause the shaking while driving? Btw changing the torque arm mount in the snow SUCKS!!! I don't have a lift so it was quite a challenge... if I had a lift it would have been a breeze...
    Last edited by manibot; 02-15-2010 at 02:04 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by manibot View Post
    So I bought a Torque arm mount(energy suspensions) and the only thing it seemed to improve was the weird braking issue. I guess because when it was bad and I went to stop the back end moved forward a bit... so that issue is solved. It seems to have made the shifting clunk less pronounced... I can still tell it is there. The shaking and vibrating is still there though I haven't done the other mounts(motor and tranny). I'm just wondering what else might cause that bobbing/shaking issue. If a clutch is going bad would that cause the shaking while driving? Btw changing the torque arm mount in the snow SUCKS!!! I don't have a lift so it was quite a challenge... if I had a lift it would have been a breeze...
    Maybe you have an engine misfire?

White

Hmmm... Maybe I need a new head gasket... Are there any good articles on how to change a head gasket? That sounds about right... everything else in the car needs to be fixed... err... the lot that sold me this car really screwed me over on this one. By the time I get done with this thing every part should be brand new!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Just because you might have a misfire, doesn't necessarily mean its a head gasket failure.

Thread Information