Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Upgrading clutch what do you recomend?

This is a discussion on Upgrading clutch what do you recomend? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Spec clutches are P'sOS. LS6 isn't better than any stock clutch. If you want a clutch that doesn't chatter and ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Spec clutches are P'sOS. LS6 isn't better than any stock clutch. If you want a clutch that doesn't chatter and leaves rubber on the road in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th than get the Mcleod single disc kevlar.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

I went with Center Force Dual Friction Clutch. My clutch sticks to the floor in fourth gear when racing. But I have found out I have air in the lines. So once I bleed it, it should be fine. No complaints though on the clutch, it has a real nice feel to it.

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Try looking for a LUK Pro Gold clutch kit, they work great, hold over 600 hp and don't cost a fortune!
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

Zak
    Hate to wear out this thread.......alot of different opinons on the best clutch......time and endurance on your parts will be the key factor if anyone has those statistics? Mention of an Aluminum flywheel is a scary thought to me, just cause I know metalurgy, (properties and srengths of metals and metal alloys) this T-56 set up of course is a new concept (correct me if I'm wrong) the flywheel takes the place of the pressure plate in a T-56 transmission. It would seem if this were the case any flywheel made out of a composite Chrome - Moly would withstand mega heat without gouging and warping, High tensil steals, cost wise would be second best, aluminum for this type of application unless there is a hardness spec I'm not aware of seems a waste of time and $$. Anyway would appreciate any input, my 2000 SS is up on jack stands and ready for a clutch mod refit. Thanks all, we can only learn by trial and error only I can't afford it LOL
    Last edited by Zak; 06-10-2006 at 02:14 AM.

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

The flywheel does not replace the pressure plate! Here are pictures of an LS7 clutch kit for proof.

And now pictures of my fried SPEC clutch

Last edited by SOMSS; 06-10-2006 at 08:13 AM.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

LS7 clutch and LS2 flywheel from Fred Beans

so it seems that the ls7 clutch is a good gripping reliable clutch everyone agree with this?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

ive had a spec 3..hated it!! i have a ram pg hd and its not too bad..it grabs, but i would go with the ls7/ls2 combo..its cheap, it holds and it shouldnt chatter. Give Fred Beans a call to order it. Also, your master is an 01, so you should be good, but with every clutch swap you should change the slave since its a high wear item IMO. Drill mod will also help wonders. i went with a Ram adjustable master for mine fwiw.
    Nino

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I have 99 T/A, at 100,000 I replaced my stock clutch with Center Force Dual Friction Clutch and presure plate, had to grind the flywheel 22 thousands, and upgraded the stock through out bear with the updated 2001-2002. I have problems engaging 1st and reverse. Seems like maybe need to blead system but no access to hydrolic line to blead with transmission in car. Also I smell burning and horrible sound when I try to back up a hill from stand still. I wouldn't recomend this combo. Anyone else deal with this?

'02 blue, '85 black&gold
    02 Firehawk #723,85 T/A

With less than 10k mis. my stock ls6 setup began slipping between 1/2 and 2/3 shifts w/ drag radials. Installed the CFDF setup at the first tranny overhaul. 5500 RPM launches on slicks and speed shifts w/no slipping. Worked fine all season. Pulled the tranny the following spring for repairs and inspected the clutch. The flywheel organic side was glazed and cracked so I put the stock back in. It's held on but I'm going back w/CF and the new puck style disc.
    Had similar problems going into first & reverse w/original CFDF setup but I think it was air in the line. Still using stock flywheel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information