Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Update on flywheel being turned

Back in the spring time I was debating between having my stock virgin flywheel turned or going with a new one. A reputable transmission owner finally talked me into having it turned. I'm glad he did! Even though it was turned .050 to get it perfect!
    After 5,000 miles of use, there has been no issues at all. My clutch pedal starts grabbing about 1/2 inch higher than it did before it was turned which is no big deal although its actually is better that way for speed shifting since the pedal doesn't have to go all the way to the floor for full disengagement. The use of shims for the slave cylinder or for the flywheel is not recommended (this info is from 2 trans shops, several racers and mazza parts store which is big on performance info). So I did not use any shims.
    I'm running a PS1C supercharger kit with a proper engine tune which gave me a max. of 446hp and 448lbs. of torque at the rear wheels. The clutch is a ceramic center force DFX. With the hockey puck style disc. The slave cylinder is a stock GM replacement. Just giving you all info on my car to let you know what I'm running with no flywheel issues so if you have any thoughts of turning your flywheel, maybe this will help you decide.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Good info here. Thanks! Good to hear it can work and to hear the effects pedal engagement height(gotta take that into consideration).

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Another member asked about machining the flywheel several months ago and I checked my books for an answer. This is exactly what it states under the Engine Flywheel Cleaning and Inspection section of the factory service manual: "In order to maintain the proper component balance, contact surface taper, and heat transfer, manual transmission flywheels are NOT to be machined."

Just an FYI...

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Another member asked about machining the flywheel several months ago and I checked my books for an answer. This is exactly what it states under the Engine Flywheel Cleaning and Inspection section of the factory service manual: "In order to maintain the proper component balance, contact surface taper, and heat transfer, manual transmission flywheels are NOT to be machined."

Just an FYI...
    The things you've mentioned was a concern to me because some car companies are very touchy about them. And some vehicles slave cylinders are not designed to make up for the difference of material removed off of the flywheel. But like I've mentioned, a couple of trans shops who do this day in and day out without any issues made it pretty assuring to me. I'm not sure what book your reading but my car is a 2001 and in the GM factory service manual on page 6-579 in volume 2 under Engine Flywheel and Inspection for F car does not mention what you wrote. I do know the factory sells the clutch assembly complete with the flywheel. GM's thought on that is it is a balanced assembly. If you look a new balance assembly, you will see a splash of grey paint to align the pressure plate up to the flywheel to have a perfect balance.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The information I posted is from the GM factory service manual for our 2002.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I have access to the online version of the GM service manuals and the statement Jeff mentioned is in all 5 years of the LS1 F-body Engine Flywheel Cleaning and Inspection (F Car)
    It is GM's recommendation that the flywheel not be machined.
    However I'm still open to the idea that it can be done successfully.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I have access to the online version of the GM service manuals and the statement Jeff mentioned is in all 5 years of the LS1 F-body Engine Flywheel Cleaning and Inspection (F Car)
    It is GM's recommendation that the flywheel not be machined.
    However I'm still open to the idea that it can be done successfully.
    So far its been a success, I hope it stays that way. I have been running the car harder this year than the last several years since I rebuilt the trans over the winter and added some upgrades to it and also put in stronger u-joints. I have about 5,000 miles of use on it which is way more than I usually put on per a year.

Thread Information