Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • UMI

6 66.67%
  • ws6store

3 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

umi vs ws6store short stick?

This is a discussion on umi vs ws6store short stick? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I have the UMI with the Hurst Billet shifter- had to modify the bolt holes slightly to make it work. ...

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

I have the UMI with the Hurst Billet shifter- had to modify the bolt holes slightly to make it work. It's a great stick but I need to get a stock Hurst knob for it. I have the Hurst T handle and it hits me in the knee while driving, but I love how short it is. One thing: anything you put in the cupholder will either be in the way or a nice rest for your wrist while shifting!
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the MGW and Pro 5.0 a whole shift kit (new springs, new stops, etc) whereas the UMI, Lou's Short stick and WS6store are just simply replacing the shaft of the stock shifter with a shorter one?

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the MGW and Pro 5.0 a whole shift kit (new springs, new stops, etc) whereas the UMI, Lou's Short stick and WS6store are just simply replacing the shaft of the stock shifter with a shorter one?
    That is correct, but by just replacing the stick you are eliminating the factory rubber bushing the stock stick has.
    So not only is the stick shorter, but you get a more positive shifter feel without the rubber isolator.

Great for those that are happy with the factory shifter body that is already in place, such as my case.
    I tried a 5.0 and a billet hurst, and didn't like either. I haven't tried the MGW shifter however, I'm about tired of experimenting only to find the same ole notchy T56. The factory Hurst currently back in the car has been my favorite, and my wife likes it best, gotta keep her happy.
    My only complaint is these short sticks are just too short, and bias towards the rear portion of the console. After my current project is finished, I'll be pulling the short stick back out to heat and bend with a torch,,,place it more to my liking and see if I can live with it.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I'm also looking to replace my shifter as well, as I have been having an issue with hitting the post when shifting fast from 2 to 3. Hit it bad enough it made a pass 18 seconds long, lol. I think the springs are going bad (if that's what's returning the shifter to center/neutral), so I want to replace the whole thing, not just the stick.

If I remember right, some of those aftermarket shifters I've tried came with extra sets of springs so you could adjust the tension to your liking.

I can tell you that when I simply changed to the short stick on my factory Hurst, the side tension got stiffer. Because the stick is shorter and I'm losing some of the leverage I had with the longer stick.
    I noticed right away it was a bit tougher to pull the shifter over to 1st gear. Before the change the side tension was somewhat of a soft feel, but I had an extra 4 inches of leverage including the tall factory Hurst knob.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-02-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

I made the mistake of swapping out my stock Hurst for a Hurst Billet in hopes that it would give me shorter throws- it didn't. The stock Hurst is a good shifter and all you really need to do is change the stick. I also changed the plastic cup to a bronze one which gives a solid feel to the shifter but it also transfers more vibration.

If you do want to change out the shifter, the Hurst Billet is close to stock but adds adjustable stops and you can remove the springs if you want to soften the feel to be even closer to the stock spongy feel.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    what about Pro 5.0 Shifter & Lou's Short Stick Package from Afterthoughts?
    im with him! I got that package after my stock shifter got stuck into 4th and i couldnt be happier.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

do we all have a factory Hurst?

new shifter is high on my mod list, but havent done a lot of research yet

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Pretty sure the Hurst was an upgrade that didn't come in all cars.

The factory Hurst was an optional upgrade. There is a door code to look for but I can't remember the code off the top of my head.

I've seen the code more often on SS and WS6 models. Not sure if it was offered on Z's and T/A's though.

I just checked my wifes car,,,,the code is BBS. Since it's in alphabetical order you'll find it on the first or second line.

If you have this code, your car came factory with a Hurst shifter.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Seems like most Trans Ams have the Hurst shifter and most Formulas didn't but it was optional for both, if I recall correctly. My Formula WS6 doesn't not have it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Mine came with the optional Hurst shifter and it is currently sitting in a box in my garage.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    do we all have a factory Hurst?

new shifter is high on my mod list, but havent done a lot of research yet
    It is on mine as well, as cheap mods are what I'm limited to for the time being.

I've heard alot of good things about MGW, but from only a few people. Alot of good reviews about Pro 5.0.

I imagine I'd like to do the whole shifter swap and not just the stick.

What's the price diff between the WS6store and UMI?

The sticks are like $15-$20. No big deal.
    And usually when you do an aftermarket shifter, alot of people buy a short stick as well to go with it.

If you have the factory Hurst, I'd try a shorter stick first and get rid of the rubber isolator. You'll get a more positive feel.

I've had the pro 5.0 and the aftermarket billet hurst. Didn't like either one. So I went back to the factory Hurst the car came with.

All everyone can do is recommend what they like to use. In the end you'll have to experiment and see what you like. They all feel a bit different.

My personal taste,,,,I'd like to have this short stick a bit longer myself. Not to mention being so short, it's positioned a bit too far back in the console.
    I'm heating mine up and bending it forward a bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information