twisted rear end

This is a discussion on twisted rear end within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Just bought an '02 ws6 and I hear and awful grinding noise from the rear end. I was also getting ...

pewter
    2002 trans-am ws6

twisted rear end

Just bought an '02 ws6 and I hear and awful grinding noise from the rear end. I was also getting a slight pull to the left and a little vibrations on the steering wheel so I had a wheel allignment done and they think that my rear end is twisted. They tried to allign everything the best they could but he says all the adjustments are now maxxed out. He told me to "just drive it" but I dont want to ruin everything else. Any suggestions on affordable setups?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stock suspension components in the rear are non-adjustable. Sounds like you could have a u-joint on its way out, a wheel bearing issue, or a rear going bad. All of these are fairly common issues with our cars. You'll need to do some diagnostic sleuthing to determine the problem. You might also have a rusted or gummed up parking brake that is making noise.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The only suspension adjustments on our cars stock is in the front end..

You said it's "maxed out" sounds like the car was involved in a serious accident to me..

Might be a cut and paste... What's the vehicles history?

To the noise.. Pajeff suggestions I agree also..

I had the shoe seperate from the parking brake ring and made it sound like something was grinding/rubbing..
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-26-2011 at 04:17 AM.

pewter
    2002 trans-am ws6

Carfax came up ok. Previous owner installed a procharger, welded in frame connectors and trailing arms. Shocks look to be factory. Mechanic who did the allignment thinks it twisted the rear end from hole shots. He suggested putting in an adjustable 4 link rearend.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Stock suspension components in the rear are non-adjustable. Sounds like you could have a u-joint on its way out, a wheel bearing issue, or a rear going bad. All of these are fairly common issues with our cars. You'll need to do some diagnostic sleuthing to determine the problem. You might also have a rusted or gummed up parking brake that is making noise.
    Some grinding noises are the brake caliper hitting the rear wheel.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Used 10 bolts can be had anywhere from $200-$400. This is the complete assembly. If you're looking for the cheapest way to go about it, that's probably it.

That's assuming it's your rear end that is messed up.

Can you visually see or take measurements to determine what is out of alignment?

Are the wheels centered in the wheel well front to back on both sides in the rear?

Is the rear centered from left to right?

By max'd out I am assuming he means camber/caster/toe possibly.

Bird Rehab Center ThunderChicken's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

Pull your wheels off and look at the brakes on the rear to rule out the simple issues. Check the parking brake assembly. If you don't see anything, pull the rotors and check around the axles for leaks that might indicate the axle seals and bearings going out. My GTA's rear began to vibrate badly, and then started knocking going around right turns. The right-side axle bearing was shot because the seal had gone bad. The gears usually won't make any grinding noises...they'll usually knock if they're shot or just go completely. Bearings or brake-dragging is usually the cause for a grinding sound.

pewter
    2002 trans-am ws6

Just had it at the frame shop and the frame is not twisted. Rear is about 1/4" off. Mechanic thinks it the ring/pinion and suggests getting a new rearend instead of replacing the parts. He thinks the rear is not strong enough for the hp.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

did you get a alignment printout and can you post it?
    Sounds like the rearend housing is bent. The only way to fix that is to replace it. If you're making alot of horsepower, an upgrade is pretty much mandatory. Look into a 12 bolt or 9 inch replacement rear end from Strange

Thread Information