White
    2000 Z28

Transmission Rebuild Question

Hey guys,
    Unfortunately I've been sucked out of the LS1 loop with my job, g/f, and new Jeep GC "hemi" 5.7(wish i could throw my LS1 in that thing! - Chrysler needs some lessons from GM). Here's my deal. I've got a 00 Z28 w/92000 miles on it. My 2nd gear syncro is bad and clutch is slipping. So I need a rebuild and new clutch. As far a clutch, i think i'll go with the Spec Stage III as i plan on throwing on a blower and have some current mods. My questions are:
    1) besides the actual clutch, what else do i need? ie new pressure plate? Flywheel? Bearing? Slave cylinder? I want to do it right so if someone could list out everything i'd appreciate it.

2) As far as the tranny rebuild any recomendations as to what I should have "beefed up" ie. hardened shift fork, better syncros? where can i get such parts.

Anyone who will/can take the time to answer my questions I would appreciate. And I consider myself a gearhead....pathetic......

Thanks alot guys.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

for sure your going to need a pressure plate, usually when you buy a clutch they have kits (I.E.) pressureplate,release bearing,clutch

as for the t56 i don't know whats available since i never worked on one yet, but i am the master of the t5 lol.

countershaft if its available i would get.

flywheel i would keep the stocker should be fine

your rebuilding this yourself?

also i've never delt with spec clutches as i've heard bad things, only clutchmasters

red
    00 ram air ta

i just bought the ls7 clutch setup from fred beans for 465, it came with the flywheel. THANK GOD!!! I dont know how common it is but my flywheel was smoked!!! ive never seen this many stress cracks, and divots in a flywheel in my life. so dont be suprised if you need one. if you have a pre 2001 car you had better think about upgrading the slave and master also. Im told this is what led to the ultimate destruction of my flywheel. as far as the transmission, I am going thru mine also. Im replacing all my syncros except reverse, Im putting in a steel 3-4 fork and replacing the synchro rings with carbon fiber ones. I spoke to an engineer who designs transmissions about these billet keys that are on the market and he told me there really just a gimmic that people like me that dont know much about the inner workings of a transmission get suckered into buying. as far as bronze pads for the shift forks, ive got 51000mi on my car and the plastic ones still look fine so im just getting replacement plastic ones. GOOD LUCK

red
    00 ram air ta

almost forgot pilot bearing while your in there. if you need a rear main seal now is a really good time.

Thread Information