White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Transmission Problem?

My Symptom is this:

Normal Driving, While changing gears syncro's do not feel solid (flimsy), clutch feels solid all the way to the floor except under hard acceleration-

While accelerating hard, all gear changes are near impossible to engage, 1st-2nd, hard to engage, 2nd-3rd feels Extreamely hard to engage while pressing the clutch, have very little resistance untill 3" from the floor, when 3rd is engaged and I try to shift into 4th, 3rd is locked in, its difficult to pull out of the 3rd gear, then once I pull it out of that gear and try to down shift to slow down, will not engage in ANY other gear. After 15/20 seconds, I can, but when I am at a full stop and shift in first and let off my cluth it gabbs RIGHT AWAY because the clutch pedal is damn near to the floor.

The clutch/Pressure Plate was replaced 6months ago, its the clutch that belongs in the z06 corvette. The flywheel was resurfaced and the slave cylinder was replaced at the time of install.

What could it be?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

There's a sticky in this section that might help you. Sounds like you may need the drill mod and maybe a fluid change in the transmission.
    Here's the sticky

silver
    2002 trans am

yea i had the same problems your talking about and it was the syncro's i had to get a new trans and instead of the drill mod i just got a high performance adj master cylinder from trick shift tick shift something like that lol but to answer ur ? it was the trans for me

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Freakin' GREAT. I hope, I hope its just fluid and drill mod..... what blows is that my transmission was rebuilt a lil less then 1 yr ago by a MORON in Northern CA, I got raped on the price and he did not even rebuild it right. This car is my daily driver and there is NO WAY i can afford another rebuild at the moment. Hell, might as well drive back up to Nor CA, go to the transmission shop and let them kick me in my nuts.

silver
    2002 trans am

yea it suck and hopefully it is the drill mod but it sounds just like what my problem was i had a freind tell me the dealership rebuilt his for like 1600 with is way better than what i did i bought a brand new one from jeg it was $3000 all said and done but good luck and i woul defantly would try the drill mod firt it pretty much free

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I personally don't think that it's your synchronizers. That would mean that almost all of them are bad...which IMO, would be odd for that to happen all of a sudden.

Start with the cheapest thing first....fluid change.

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Well, did the fluid change, same freakin' thing

Anyone suggest a place to get it fixed that is reputable? I live in Southern Ca- near Palm Springs???

HELP!!!!!!! Before I

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

did you do the drill mod?

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

No, I have not done the drill mod, the thing is, ever since I had the car (2 years) on the stock pressure plate and clutch/ a Centerforce dual friction clutch/pressure plate which the installer F'd up and on the current LS7 clutch and pressure plate that is in it now, I NEVER had this problem. Don't you think if it really was a drill mod that it would have been doing this from the start? Why now?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yeah I see your point. Did you flush the clutch hydraulic fluid out and all clean or did you drain and refill the transmission fluid itself?

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    yeah I see your point. Did you flush the clutch hydraulic fluid out and all clean or did you drain and refill the transmission fluid itself?
    I used a squeeze bottle to take out the dot 3 fluid from the resovoir cleaned it out really well then that was that. I did check my transmission fluid tho- when I removed the fill plug I checked with my pinky the fluid level which was right below the bottom of the fill plug- it was nice & pink, looked brand new

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

I had the 3-4 synchro keys bust on me...and the pieces that broke off were giving me trouble.

I only had problems with 3rd and 4th gears though. It would stick in 4th and pop out of third.

thegearbox.org sells billet shift keys, so if that's the problem might want to replace the stock ones with those so it doesn't happen again.

Thread Information