Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Transmission install

Were putting my transmission back in and we have about an inch left and then it hits a "wall" and wont budge anymore. I have had it out and put it back in twice and it has never been this difficult. Why would it be doing this or do I just have to force it in?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

what have you replaced? Maybe the input shaft isn't lining up with the pilot bearing?

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Thats what we were thinking. I just got the trans back from being staged

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

aah ok. So the clutch, flywheel, and pilot bearing are all untouched? Geez you'd think they are all still lined up ok then. Did the trans builder do anything to the input shaft that would make it not fit well into the pilot anymore???

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Well my car was making a squealing before I took it apart and we though it might have been the throwout or the pilot. I took the clutch apart down to the flywheel to look at the pilot. The pilot look fine so we decided to leave it and put it back together.

Ah, I think what Cutlass was eluding to is your problem.

Since you had your clutch removed and reinstalled, you probably don't have the disc lined up exactly where it needs to be,,,and the offset is keeping you from sliding the input shaft into the pilot bushing,,,that's about the last inch you are talking about.

Sometimes even those cheap plastic clutch alignment tools aren't that great. I've always found that a real input shaft from a parts transmission works better with tighter tolerances than that plastic stuff, they tend to wobble around a bit.

Anyway, it just sounds like you need to loosen the pressure plate and move the clutch disc ever so slightly and try again. Eventually you'll find the sweet spot.
    Never try to force it in with bolts, that's usually how you bust/crack mounting ears off of transmissions/bellhousings.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-19-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ah, I think what Cutlass was eluding to is your problem.

Since you had your clutch removed and reinstalled, you probably don't have the disc lined up exactly where it needs to be,,,and the offset is keeping you from sliding the input shaft into the pilot bushing,,,that's about the last inch you are talking about.

Sometimes even those cheap plastic clutch alignment tools aren't that great. I've always found that a real input shaft from a parts transmission works better with tighter tolerances than that plastic stuff.

Anyway, it just sounds like you need to loosen the pressure plate and move the clutch disc ever so slightly and try again. Eventually you'll find the sweet spot.
    Agree. In fact, I picked up an input shaft from a boneyard for that very reason. It can be a PITA if everything isn't lined up perfectly. As FBJ said, it might take a bit but you'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Agree. In fact, I picked up an input shaft from a boneyard for that very reason. It can be a PITA if everything isn't lined up perfectly. As FBJ said, it might take a bit but you'll get it.
    Ah, I see I'm not the only one that doesn't favor those plastic input shafts from the help section

A real input shaft is the only way to go

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

I am taking it to a shop tomorrow the weathers getting nice and I want it running.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not sure about the setup in the F-bodies... but swapping a manual trans in a C4 Corvette we had the same problem. The trick that did it was when we got it almost home, we had someone depress the clutch just a bit and it slid right in.

Thread Information