Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Transmission cooler on a manual?

Ok, so I was telling this guy about my last track day, and how it was hard for me to shift being that it was so hot outside and my trans being so hot. He said that his dad once put a trans mission cooler on his jeep (manual trans). I didn't think you could do that, and have never heard of anyone doing so. So, my question is, can I put a trans cooler on my T56?

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Lol i thought it was a joke at first....I never heard of it....interested to see if anyone has

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K_CAMARO View Post
    Ok, so I was telling this guy about my last track day, and how it was hard for me to shift being that it was so hot outside and my trans being so hot. He said that his dad once put a trans mission cooler on his jeep (manual trans). I didn't think you could do that, and have never heard of anyone doing so. So, my question is, can I put a trans cooler on my T56?

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

No, not a joke. Like I said, I've never heard of it either. I posted the same thing over on Tech, someone said that the newer Vette's have one installed from the factory. So it will be interesting to see what everyone has to say

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Never heard of it and not sure how that would work??

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'm not sure either. Well, is there any way to keep our manual trans cool?

I know Nascar does it on their manual trannies and rearends. But those cars see substained 8-9,000 rpm use for hours.

I wouldn't think it's necessary on a 4th gen that see's mild track days,,,who knows.

If you were having shifting problems I'm willing to bet it was the hydraulic fluid in the clutch system that was getting hot,,,more than the transmission itself.

All that clutch action gets the fluid pretty warm,,,,and the pedal can be spongy or slow clutch action as a result would cause some sticky shifting. Hydraulic fluid does not like to be warm,,,,,at all...
    If you haven't already maybe look into wrapping your hydraulic clutch line with a type of insulation, make sure it's behind the heat shield on the driver side,,,and if you have installed headers,,,make sure it's not too close to the line.

Just my thoughts. Start with the simple stuff before getting into a complicated and expensive manual trans cooler setup.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Ok, I'll check into that. Thank you

Just out of curiosity,,,,where are you going to those track days at,,,,down in Yuma somewhere???
    I haven't seen any up my way.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I have always wondered if you could put one on a T56
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

subscribed

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    subscribed
    +1

Black
    2005 GTO

You would need to put some kind of pump in order for a transmission cooler to work on a manual tranny. Autos obviously have a pump that pumps the fluid up to the radiator(in a stock car) an then back to the tranny. Manuals do not so that would be the difficult part. As others said there is obviously some other problem.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Just out of curiosity,,,,where are you going to those track days at,,,,down in Yuma somewhere???
    I haven't seen any up my way.
    Been going to Firebird Raceway. Went to one last Saturday, the 10th
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    You would need to put some kind of pump in order for a transmission cooler to work on a manual tranny. Autos obviously have a pump that pumps the fluid up to the radiator(in a stock car) an then back to the tranny. Manuals do not so that would be the difficult part. As others said there is obviously some other problem.
    Well what kind of problem could this be? Clutch? Hot fluid because of lines being close to my headers? Transmission starting to go out?

I had a temp gauge on my manual trans for a while. It gradually picked up engine heat and warmed up but I never noticed that driving influenced it one way or the other. I don't remember exactly but I think it would finally peak out at around 200 Deg. F. or so in the summer.

I've driven big trucks that had transmission and differential temp gauges and they do heat up under heavy load but it still wasn't that bad.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K_CAMARO View Post
    Been going to Firebird Raceway. Went to one last Saturday, the 10th

Well what kind of problem could this be? Clutch? Hot fluid because of lines being close to my headers? Transmission starting to go out?
    Like said before, your problem is almost guaranteed not to involve the transmission fluid itself. But the Hydraulics for the clutch. The stock system blows, there's just no way around it. There are write ups on how to make your stock master adjustable... and that's great. But, that does not solve the problem with the stock master, it just does not flow enough to overcome most high RPM shifts with aftermarket pressure plates. A Tick adjustable is a really nice piece, and cures the low flow problem of the stock piece. Some get away with a new stocker MC, some do not. There are companies that sell wrap for the clutch lines, to reduce the amount of heat introduced from headers etc. I also have recently had problems with my hydraulics, transmission basically locked up on me for about 2 hours after my last run down the 1/4 mile. Keeping the clutch fluid clean goes a long way. DOT 4 is a good fluid, But DOT 5 I'm pretty sure can not be ran in our systems. I don't think a T-56 transmission cooler will solve any problems for your situation, you really need to start looking over your weak links in your hydraulics.

Just last week I learned that there is a brake fluid available with a higher boiling point. DOT 5.1 and it is not silicone based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5.1

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Just last week I learned that there is a brake fluid available with a higher boiling point. DOT 5.1 and it is not silicone based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5.1
    Yea, I saw the 5.1 also. I looked for it the other day at a motorcycle shop. I'm weary at putting something in that I don't know for 100% sure isn't going to eat everything, I didn't post the 5.1 because I wasn't sure on it. Read very little so far with experiences. Anyone here know more about the 5.1 DOT fluid?

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

5.1 is shady so far.... but the trans cooler on a m6 is far fetched at best, I guess you could drill & tap holes, and install a 12v pump to circulate it, but it'd be a large waste of time/resources....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

A manual trans cooler would have to be something simular to a rear end with a finned aluminum cover.

A clutch hydraulic fluid cooler would be an interesting idea, huh?

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well, thanks guys. I guess I need to start looking over my weak points like Hi-Po said. I've been thanking about the Tick MC. But I'll start cheap and check my trans fluid for fullness, cleanliness and check my lines to make sure they aren't to close to my headers and getting over heated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information