SS # 4436
    02 Camaro SS 35th LE

Trans will not go into gear

I just replaced my master and slave along with the clutch and flywheel. Bleed the system with little difficulty. It went into gear with the car off but when I started it it wont go into any gear. I was searching around and some people say that the shim size is too small if it wont go in gear. What do you guys think? Ever have this problem?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Id double check to see if the system is fully bled, the hydraulics in these cars can be tricky at times

SS # 4436
    02 Camaro SS 35th LE

Is there a certain way to check it? I have a nice firm pedal all the way to the floor and it feels normal.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

What clutch did you put in the car? Also what MC did you install

SS # 4436
    02 Camaro SS 35th LE

It's a SPEC stage 3 and I just bought a new OEM master. You thinking the master's not strong enough?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Wouldn't think it'd be the master, but like you mentioned shim size may play a role. Either that or there is still air in the system and it's just not obvious. Not sure how you bled it but i'd consider the mity vac method to make sure all the air is out. If that doesn't help i'd then look into the shim size

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f65/how-bleed-clutch-mity-vac-124254/

SS # 4436
    02 Camaro SS 35th LE

In my first post I forgot to say that when i put it in 1st and then try to start it, the car wont start because it's trying to turn the trans and move the car forward. It's like the clutch wont disengage. But like I said earlier when I start it in neutral the car wont engage and go in first or any gear. Not sure if that helps anyone reading this understand what's going on or not.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Exactly whats going on, I would just be real sure it's not air in the system before you go off pulling the tranny again checking shim size

SS # 4436
    02 Camaro SS 35th LE

Ok, I re-bleed the system and unfortunately it did not fix the problem. So I called SPEC and they e-mailed me the shim measurement directions that were supposed to be in with my clutch(cause they were not). Here's what I got:

Measurement "A" is from the surface of the bell housing to the tip of the fingers on the clutch. I came up with 2 1/16th inch.

Measurement "B" is from the throwout bearing surface to the transmission surface where it mounts to the bell housing. I got between 2 1/16th and 2 2/16. Almost the exact same as "A".

The problem is "B" is supposed to be smaller than "A" by 1/16 to 1/8 inch. Does anyone know about this? How could B be bigger than A? And would this cause the trans to not go in gear?

I'm going to call SPEC again tomorrow and let them know what im getting and see what they say. Just want to know what you guys have seen that have done this.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 02ssmaro View Post
    The problem is "B" is supposed to be smaller than "A" by 1/16 to 1/8 inch. Does anyone know about this? How could B be bigger than A? And would this cause the trans to not go in gear?
    Is that slave measurement with the slave extended or retracted??
    Too much crankshaft end play pushing the clutch too close to the slave, something wrong with how the flywheel mounts to the crank or the clutch mounts to the flywheel, something wrong with how the slave mounts to the trans (pushing the slave too close to the clutch), or something wrong with the clutch, slave or throwout bearing itself.
    And technically, I would think it the slave was too close to the clutch, that would hold the clutch released some...causing it to slip and fail quickly if you started driving it.

SS # 4436
    02 Camaro SS 35th LE

The measurement is with the spring taken out and the bearing as far down as it will go to the slave surface, and I didn't forget to take the shim out before I measured. I called SPEC and all they could give was "I don't know why the measurements would be the same. Put it back together without the shim and see if it works." Thanks buddy, I could have figured that one out.

Thanks for the suggestions Cutlass. I'll figure something out I hope.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Did it feel like the slave bottomed out nice or is it possible that hydraulic pressure is holding it a little bit....like if someone was pushing the clutch pedal?
    Good Luck.

SS # 4436
    02 Camaro SS 35th LE

I forgot I had this post up here. Finished the clutch a few days after Cutlass's last post. I ended up needing about a quarter inch shim which is rediculous in my opinion. The clutch chatter was horrible for the first 150 miles, now I'm at 250 miles and its a little better. If it doesent improve significantly as it breaks in more i'll be very pissed with SPEC.

I'm not going to say don't buy a SPEC clutch, but I never will again. My buddy has the exact same car with the exact same clutch and his went in without a problem and did not need a shim. I have another friend who is a mechanic and has installed several of the same clutches on ls1 camaros and firebirds and some needed shims and some did not. I'm guessing there are some quality control issues with the production of SPEC clutches. One vehicle shouldn't need a 1/4in shim and the other nothing.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Glad you finally got it working. The chatter should get better with time. After about 500 miles or so if the chatter is still bad beat on it a bit and it should go away.

Thread Information