Is this a trans or a clutch issue?

This is a discussion on Is this a trans or a clutch issue? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; When road racing after 4 laps the trans would not downshift into 3rd. I found that if i got it ...

now-atomic orange
    2002 SLP M6 SS

Is this a trans or a clutch issue?

When road racing after 4 laps the trans would not downshift into 3rd. I found that if i got it into 5th, it would do much better downshifting to 4th then 3rd, but still not very good. Also, the clutch pedal would tend to stick and not come all the way back up. Noticed some black material hanging from the trans afterwards. Never really noticed the clutch slipping-just shifting issues.

Within a short time after going through the pits when race was over, car shifted fine. Replaced clutch fluid with high temp stuff, and it did not really help. Car was at stock power levels.

I hope to eventually get to 425whp and want to make sure the trans and clutch can handle that.

What should be done to solve this issue and handle that amount of power?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Trans cooler and possibly a better clutch, Sounds like its over heating, may wanna instail a temp guage for the tranny also...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agreed. Also, this black material you said was hanging on the tranny, what did it look like?
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

now-atomic orange
    2002 SLP M6 SS

Like a thin black fabric (clutch lining?)

And I thought auto's were the only ones needing a cooler?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

This might help you. Try a Tick master cylinder, new slave cylinder, and changing the transmission fluid.

black
    1998 trans am

Tick master and a new clutch.

also throw in a slave to save you some work down the road.

Thanks,
    Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

now-atomic orange
    2002 SLP M6 SS

Mark-So with the upcoming hp adds and expecting 420 at the wheels, and then possibly round #2 in the future with an sc and another 125+ what clutch/trans upgrades am I going to need?

I'd rather do it just once. Is there a clutch that will have a stock feel and still hold this kind of power? Price?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    Mark-So with the upcoming hp adds and expecting 420 at the wheels, and then possibly round #2 in the future with an sc and another 125+ what clutch/trans upgrades am I going to need?

I'd rather do it just once. Is there a clutch that will have a stock feel and still hold this kind of power? Price?
    If you plan on having 500+ to the wheels, I would suggest one of the following, in order of best to worst (IMO) for your clutch:
    Textralia, Monster, and then Spec.

I have a Spec Stage 3+ (rated at 800 ft-lb of torque) and it chatters moderately on take off. Other than that, it is only a year old and has taken a few 4500 RPM dumps and holds extremely well. It also feels stock to the feel during shifting (a little firmer, which most performance clutches will be) Spec is hit or miss with chatter though. A lot of people complain about it.

Textralia and Monster are better clutches IMO.

PerformaBuilt or RPM for the transmission upgrade. I chose RPM, as they are local to me and have a great rep. Usually performance transmission shops offer 1 to 3 different level upgrades, based on your needs.

black
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post

like the post below you the Spec is a good clutch that is what I have. I have sold alot of Tex. without a single complaint. The monster are good but, are on backorder at the moment waiting on the flywheels is what i am told.

I would recommend the Spec 3+ if it were mine that is what I use.

Thanks,
    Mark

Black
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by marksls1ta View Post
    like the post below you the Spec is a good clutch that is what I have. I have sold alot of Tex. without a single complaint. The monster are good but, are on backorder at the moment waiting on the flywheels is what i am told.

I would recommend the Spec 3+ if it were mine that is what I use.

Thanks,
    Mark
    +1 on the Spec 3. Chatter off the line a bit, but it smoothed out somewhat over the course of 3 months for me.

Thread Information