Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tranny screwed, already apart at shop, tellin me $2000..

This is a discussion on Tranny screwed, already apart at shop, tellin me $2000.. within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; thanks man. unfortunatly i cant get the car outta there. they put ujoints in my 79 and did a decent ...

Black
    99 SS clone M6

thanks man. unfortunatly i cant get the car outta there. they put ujoints in my 79 and did a decent job, diagnosed a wierd noise so i think im ok. u dont happen to know a way to check a shop online to see if they have a good reputation do ya? place is called Hyannis Transmission 2
    99 z28 m6 ss clone
    79 Z28 (fast as Fu*k) thanks rich
    SLP Loudmouth, Founder's LCA's, BMR APHRD, Tranzilla T56, Exedy clutch SLP Lid FTRA Powerslot rotors 'brock strut brace, SS wheels and SS hood, hurst, 1LE bars, Energy bushs, EBC's
    past: 95 T/A, 78 Z28, 98 Z28, 86 Z28, 00 GSXR 600

Don't know, I'm not that computer savy. BBB maybe??

Black
    99 SS clone M6

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Don't know, I'm not that computer savy. BBB maybe??
    The new.news now is the old.trans.is.gone. right now what I have no choice.of doing is the shop.is going to put in a rebuilt t56 modified to 600 ft lbs. Gearbox kit.I think. $3200 for the tranny installed and purchased out the door

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds like you got hosed.
    It's on jackstands.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaBlues View Post
    The new.news now is the old.trans.is.gone. right now what I have no choice.of doing is the shop.is going to put in a rebuilt t56 modified to 600 ft lbs. Gearbox kit.I think. $3200 for the tranny installed and purchased out the door
    What do you mean the trans is gone? Sounds like somebody wanted one for their own car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

make sure you get a detail item list of what the hell they are charging you. That is way, way over the top, more like you're getting butt rape! No way in hell would I pay that when you can buy a brand new T56 with upgrades for that price. Hell, Tick stage III is still cheaper then that with shipping. That stage III has Cryogenic Treatment of All Transmission Internals which isn't cheap to do.

Tick Performance Level 3 SUPER T56 Rebuild (600RWTQ and up) for 1997-2007 Corvette & Z06 - Tick Performance

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    make sure you get a detail item list of what the hell they are charging you. That is way, way over the top, more like you're getting butt rape! No way in hell would I pay that when you can buy a brand new T56 with upgrades for that price. Hell, Tick stage III is still cheaper then that with shipping. That stage III has Cryogenic Treatment of All Transmission Internals which isn't cheap to do.

Tick Performance Level 3 SUPER T56 Rebuild (600RWTQ and up) for 1997-2007 Corvette & Z06 - Tick Performance
    Yeah I've looked those up ($1000 core charge,,,,YIKES!!) I'm not giving up an old one so that would have to be added to the bill. Sounds like Daytonablues doesn't have an original for a core now either, if I'm reading this right...

Navy Blue Metallic

If the shop took the tranny he brought in and gave to another person, doesn't that constitute as "Theft"?

If the shop took the tranny he brought in and gave to another person, doesn't that constitute as "Theft"?
    That sure is what it sounds like to me. But I asked him again because I wasn't sure I was believing what I was reading.

Black
    99 SS clone M6

Angry

I saw the tranny apart and wow..its bad..metal chunks, syncros all rounded.off teeth, fluid literally had chunck.s in the bottom..anyways. $2400 for a viper spec rebuilt t56 with all the typical upgrades. 600 ft lb capacity. That being said, $2409 for a rebuilt viper spec t56 able to handle a 100 shot with a 2 year warranty is ok I guess. Plus 800 to put the tranny in and take it out...add 6.25% sales tax too and yea Im screwed, but around here in Massachusetts...Im stuck with this
    I did see the guts off the old tranny and holy shiiiit.

Black
    99 SS clone M6

yea..exactly what i was thinking too, but i got quoted like i said $2400 for a 2 year warrantied t56, viper spec, with a 600 ft lb rating...upgraded basically. i couldnt find anything on ebay even CLOSE to that price for even a used t56 from god knows where and god knows who..it sucks that i couldnt put the tranny in myself or take it out..but $800 for that. ITS $3200 OUT THE DOOR. i know im getting raped somehow but what the hell else can i do? my DD too. fukin people out here in Mass. people are real assholes. but i bought the car knowing it had a trans issue so i guess its my fault im stuck like this.

So the tranny didn't disappear after all?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

yea..exactly what i was thinking too, but i got quoted like i said $2400 for a 2 year warrantied t56, viper spec, with a 600 ft lb rating...upgraded basically. i couldnt find anything on ebay even CLOSE to that price for even a used t56 from god knows where and god knows who..it sucks that i couldnt put the tranny in myself or take it out..but $800 for that. ITS $3200 OUT THE DOOR. i know im getting raped somehow but what the hell else can i do? my DD too. fukin people out here in Mass. people are real assholes. but i bought the car knowing it had a trans issue so i guess its my fault im stuck like this.
    That's down right rape... 400 is a normal rate to remove and replace the the tranny not 400 to remove it and another 400 to put it back.... Also when they said 2400 with a core I would raised hell and just told them to put it back together and reinstall it... A core t56 is worth 1k so that basically means u just paid 3400 for a tranny. I woulda wanted to see all the broken parts from the trans be aide the f t that the at still ran says its could have been too catastrophic

Navy Blue Metallic

you're going to be pissed when I tell you dropping a tranny and reinstalling it only takes about 2.5 hrs of labor time. If it takes them longer they are shitty mechanics. I know the book says 3.5-4.5 hrs on both ends and that is ridiculous.

Sorry to hear you bent over a barrel. I would make sure I got an itemize list because a Viper built T56 requires a lot of detailed parts. At least they will warranty the work and tranny. Makes me wonder if they are just ordering one form Tick that's already done because the price is just almost even with Tick.

you're going to be pissed when I tell you dropping a tranny and reinstalling it only takes about 2.5 hrs of labor time. If it takes them longer they are shitty mechanics. I know the book says 3.5-4.5 hrs on both ends and that is ridiculous.

Sorry to hear you bent over a barrel. I would make sure I got an itemize list because a Viper built T56 requires a lot of detailed parts. At least they will warranty the work and tranny. Makes me wonder if they are just ordering one form Tick that's already done because the price is just almost even with Tick.
    That's what I'm thinking since he first mentioned his trans disappeared. My guess is they sent it off for the core charge, and a new one coming from Tick.

Black
    99 SS clone M6

Nope, I saw my tranny apart and its really bad. I'm gonna cal back though. Labor rate is $85 an hour here..so. they had to first take it out, take it apart, find out what's wrong, then let me know. They did that and that's when I got the quote of $2400 for a heavily beefed up rebuilt. Add the 6.25% tax too. Problem is I didn't knohow bad it was, and the car before was barley drivable.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I paid $200 for my transmission removal and re-install. They are charging you $800? WOW.

Black
    99 SS clone M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I paid $200 for my transmission removal and re-install. They are charging you $800? WOW.
    $200 to pull a tranny and put it in????????? That's like a $40 labor rate. Where and how did you do that? Pulling a transmission pays at least 3 hours labor.

Probably a geological difference. Mass and Chicago.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That is what Bob at EPP charged me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information