Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Tranny problem. Advice please.

Hey guys my 98 Formy now has 145,000 on it. The tranny has always been great. Smooth shifting as could be. Only needed to replace the master about a year or so ago. So a few days ago it starts feeling a little clunky, then hard to get into gear. Sometimes it will grind when downshifting to make a turn or such. Also sometimes it will just grind when trying to get it into first and it's super hard to get in reverse and sometimes wont go in at all. Well I did the easy stuff first and changed the fluid and tryed swapping the master again. No luck. What do you guys think? Bad slave? Bad synchros? Or just time for a a new clutch. It still pulls pretty hard. But obviously if I do a slave I will swap the clutch as well. Please help. Thanks.
    Last edited by yellowv; 08-07-2009 at 06:16 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Since you're having a problem in multiple gears, I think its clutch related. Like you said master or slave cylinders, or air in the system. It could also be a bad pilot bearing. If its seizing up that would make the trans input shaft spin at engine rpm even with the clutch released.
    But also at that mileage it could be multiple syncro failures or maybe low/crappy trans fluid.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Since you're having a problem in multiple gears, I think its clutch related. Like you said master or slave cylinders, or air in the system. It could also be a bad pilot bearing. If its seizing up that would make the trans input shaft spin at engine rpm even with the clutch released.
    But also at that mileage it could be multiple syncro failures or maybe low/crappy trans fluid.
    Trans fluid was still clean and particle free. And it just shifted like butter 4 days ago. I am thinking the slave took a shit. As when i pulled the master the other day the fluid was pretty filthy, and that fluid was pretty new. There has to be a ton of shit in that slave.

Thread Information