Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Tranny popping out of Fourth gear...

I have a 2000 TA Ram Air. The transmission has been popping out of gear when I shift to fourth and accelerate, and again when I downshift. Once I"m at a constant speed in fourth, or if I baby the gas pedal, it will stay in. I suspect a bent shifter fork but am not really sure. If anybody can offer me any suggestions and perhaps advice on how to deal with it. The local shop was already telling me that I would need a 5000+ transmission... 4000+ if I go a used one... needless to say, I skipped out of there as fast as I could.

I have 145,000 miles on the car and never had a problem with it. I serviced the tranny just before the 95,000 mile mark. Just changed the tranny fluid through the drain hole and such.

Thanks to everyone in advance for any help...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

i think the shifter fork is bent bad or sync gears are gone... just find a used T56 Tranny... they aren't as expensive... put some upgrades into that tranny and then have a shop put it in... shouldn't be that bad of a price

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I just had mine rebuilt by Six Speeds Inc, and the cost was nowhere near what you are being quoted. I did not even have to pay shipping when I had mine rebuilt. I suggest you find someplace that specializes in our transmissions that way you can get a built one cheaper then you would for a OEM by some random transmission shop.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Thanks

Thanks OnEbAdReDSS and Bottesini.

Those are actually options I hadn't even considered. I'll start looking around to see if I can find either a tranny, or a shop, or preferably both. The quote I got was from the local Pontiac dealership. Expensive, I know... but I figured I'd go straight to them and take it from there. I like the idea of getting a tranny and getting upgrades. My plan right now is to start driving my economical '67 VW clunker, park my T/A and tear her apart in order to rebuild her with all sorts of upgrades. Right now on my shelf I have a stack of parts including Eibach suspension components, a pair of Edelbrock shorties to add to the Cat back Borla exhaust that I have on her already, a larger throttle body and a C5 Intake Manifold. I got this last one super cheap from a friend. I'll probably keep this as a long term project, but right now, I'd like to get the tranny done.

Thanks again guys, and let me know if you have any other ideas on this problem.

R

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

well dont forget about the fork pads..they are plastic and overtime they will get brittle and fall apart. when that happens..you are like 1/16 short of fully getting engaged so you will get kicked out. If not that it would be your keys...they need to be upgraded to billet ...they keep the Blocker ring from spinning. The blocker rings are what bring the gear up to speed, so that it can be engaged. I think that is your problem considering that it pops you out when you are spinning faster. But as always..if your going to rebuild your tranny then make sure you upgrade your 3-4 fork and keys and upgrade to bronze fork shoes do it now so you dont have to worry about it later.

Thread Information