Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Exclamation Tranny help/diagnosis..T56 2001 ws6

Okay, so I am going home today getting up to speed and everything is fine pulling good in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Hit 6th and a terrible grinding sound occurs and I immediately push the clutch and put in in neutral thinking HTF did I miss 6th gear? Let the RPM's go down put it back in 6th at around 50 mph and let out on the clutch and its grinding again. Put it back in neutral take the next exit coasting, put it in second and give a little gas the car starts moving. Give it more gas and there is the terrible grinding noise again. Pull into a huge empty parking lot that was empty and very close "Thank God". Put it in first and drive a circle around the lot and there was a lot of shimmy letting out on the clutch at first, but moving the car. I give it a little gas and yes it quits pulling and starts grinding. Stopped the car called a wrecker to have it towed. BTW it was a sorry sight for anybody to have to see. He drops it off on the street and I was able to baby it into my driveway with no clutch slippage, but I was afraid to give it too much gas because I did not want to hear that sound again. Reverse works, but I did not see if it would grind under the same load. The car has 84,000 and some change. I am the 2nd owner. Any suggestions? Besides the fact that I am F'd.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Grinding in most gear is never a good thing. I would bet som teeth broke of a single gear and in turn trashed a few others. Either way, im sure you know if its time for a rebuild.

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

FML!!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

And your sure the noise is coming from the transmission and not the rear end right?
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Positive. It sound like a blender in the console.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rexxx View Post
    Positive. It sound like a blender in the console.
    Not good man. A rebuild is not horibbly expensive compared to some auto rebuild costs.

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Man, I thought the T56 was the shit. That's why I opted to get it instead of an automatic. I figured the clutch would go before the tranny. I have read some post and some are saying the syncros go bad, but I think its the input shaft since all the low and high gears are are engaging under a light load, and the sound is coming from the front couldn't that be a possibility? I am about to go outside and see if it grinds in reverse under a load. Will post results.

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Okay, smell burning. The clutch is fucked. When I let all the way out on a level surface under a pull it is slipping BAD!

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Can anyone refer me a T56 clutch swap thread that is spot on. I do not want to read a book on how to do a swap with no problems and find myself (as usual) with problems that can/will/always happen. Tricks of the trade basically to make this as painless as possible.

Navy Blue
    1998 Formula Firebird

It kinda sounds like you have just worn the clutch disc all the way down, kinda like when brake pads get all the way down to the backing plates. I would think its unlikely that it transmission issue with it happening in every gear.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Sorry no suggestions other than have a transmission shop look at it. Or a dealer. Get ready for a big bill. BTW, I've never heard a clutch make noises like you describe, it's possible I guess, but this sure sounds like the trans has major issues.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Sorry no suggestions other than have a transmission shop look at it. Or a dealer. Get ready for a big bill. BTW, I've never heard a clutch make noises like you describe, it's possible I guess, but this sure sounds like the trans has major issues.

If you have the know-how, you can get rebuild and upgrade kits for a lot less than what you are going to pay to have it rebuilt. There are some rebuild guides and there is a sticky in here for the T56 manual.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

If you have the know-how, you can get rebuild and upgrade kits for a lot less than what you are going to pay to have it rebuilt. There are some rebuild guides and there is a sticky in here for the T56 manual.
    i say take it to a kell known drivetrain shop in your area if you cant fix it yourself . they wil first inspect the clutch and then the transmission if you have to worst case there is a upgraded version of are transmissions' the t-56 Magnum that is less than $2,700 hmm a rebuilt 1 for $2,500 or the magnum good luck let us know what is going on .

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    i say take it to a kell known drivetrain shop in your area if you cant fix it yourself . they wil first inspect the clutch and then the transmission if you have to worst case there is a upgraded version of are transmissions' the t-56 Magnum that is less than $2,700 hmm a rebuilt 1 for $2,500 or the magnum good luck let us know what is going on .
    My rebuild on my T56 was $1895 from RPM transmission. This was their level IV upgrade. R&R was $200 I think.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    My rebuild on my T56 was $1895 from RPM transmission. This was their level IV upgrade. R&R was $200 I think.
    it all depends on the Damages done to the transmissions and you cant tell till you pay the 3-$700 dropping the transmissions fee and it could be from $1700 to rebuild your transmission to $2400 on what u broke and the partsyou pick to go into them . now Would you rebuild you engine at 80k ?? i wouldent rebuild my transmission i would just buy a new one so that i know it isint going to pop on me like a box of Pops. i have a T-56 Magnum trans mission that i have Dragraced with for 3 Seasons and converted my Drag only ar to a street only car now i have had 0- Problems with the Transmission and i plan to keep it that way

Navy Blue
    1998 Formula Firebird

This Thread has just confused the hell outta me, not because of the info or anything, but last night, when i put a post up, i was the only comment thus far, then i checked this morning and there were a few more, but now there are more posts before hand basically what i am wondering is how is it that posts #2-9 and are dated before the others, when it was not there earlier. has anyone else noticed this.......or do i just drink too much.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I dont know, that stuff happens sometimes.

OP, post up a result when you figure it out. Im curious.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    it all depends on the Damages done to the transmissions and you cant tell till you pay the 3-$700 dropping the transmissions fee and it could be from $1700 to rebuild your transmission to $2400 on what u broke and the partsyou pick to go into them . now Would you rebuild you engine at 80k ?? i wouldent rebuild my transmission i would just buy a new one so that i know it isint going to pop on me like a box of Pops. i have a T-56 Magnum trans mission that i have Dragraced with for 3 Seasons and converted my Drag only ar to a street only car now i have had 0- Problems with the Transmission and i plan to keep it that way
    Not really sure what you are asking here? The upgrade was $1895 (this included the rebuild and the uninstall and install).

Parts included:
    Media blast transmission case
    Solid synchronizer keys
    Steel 3-4 shifter fork
    Hand fit sliders and hubs
    New Compressed Carbon blocking rings
    bronze shifter bushing
    bronze fork pads
    Performance Metal Micropolish
    cryogenic tempering

If you think you can buy a NEW T56 for under 2K.....GOOD LUCK! And, if you do, it will STILL have the design flaws that the stock T56 has....which is prone for synchros going and a bent 3-4 fork.

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Okay, I got the car out of the shop today. It needed a clutch kit. One of the springs broke on the clutch plate and it was only engaging on the outside of the flywheel and clutch plate. You could see it had been slipping for a while and the flywheel looked pretty bad. The tranny and rear end looked good. No metal particles sticking to the magnet or anything. Got all the fluids replaced along with the new kit. It was really wierd because it would actual get the car moving until it was under a load then it would start slipping and jerking the car really bad. Now the clutch engages almost immediately after letting out on the clutch pedal. Its going to take some time to adjust to that. I am just glad I got my car back and the tranny or rearend wasn't trashed.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rexxx View Post
    Okay, I got the car out of the shop today. It needed a clutch kit. One of the springs broke on the clutch plate and it was only engaging on the outside of the flywheel and clutch plate. You could see it had been slipping for a while and the flywheel looked pretty bad. The tranny and rear end looked good. No metal particles sticking to the magnet or anything. Got all the fluids replaced along with the new kit. It was really wierd because it would actual get the car moving until it was under a load then it would start slipping and jerking the car really bad. Now the clutch engages almost immediately after letting out on the clutch pedal. Its going to take some time to adjust to that. I am just glad I got my car back and the tranny or rearend wasn't trashed.
    Yea, after you mentioned the extreme clutch smell, It was pretty obvious the was problem number 1 Glad it was just a clutch, what did you go with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information