Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Are these guys trying to rip me off?

This is a discussion on Are these guys trying to rip me off? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis they are the ones that said $1500 installed as long as cylinders don't need replacement. ...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    they are the ones that said $1500 installed as long as cylinders don't need replacement. I think I will bring it to these guys (aarrow). only one complaint in last 3 years, a price/refund problem that was resolved. They seem to be a good company and better yet, they are a block away from the jaguar dealership. Thats good cuz then I can drive it there.

plus I have a $75 off coupon.
    I'm a fan of "if it aint broke, don't fix it"...unless you have to TEAR into something to get to it, then replace every wear part near the damn thing! If you go without the new slave, and your old one leaks, it'll ruin your clutch disk. Of course, then you'll just have to clean shit off and replace the disk and slave cylinder, but then you're talking the almost the same amount of labor to remove the trans again.

Spend the $$$ now, or spend more later...???

Too much of a for me

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

The total cost of my LS7 clutch swap including the slave cylinder and labor was roughly $1,300. This includes paying roughly a $100.00 premium on parts and having the labor performed by a shop with a relatively higher labor rate ($90.00/ hr). I don't mind paying a premium to those guys as they are (in my opinion) the best performance shop I've ever worked with.

$2,000. is the higher end of the range (I contacted a few other shops in my area just to get a quote and I did receive several between $2.0K - $2.4K). I didn't change my master cylinder as I only have 35K miles on my car and I was simply trying to diagnose the sticky clutch pedal problem. Fortunately, if you swap the clutch and slave cylinder and still have the same problem, you've pretty much isolated the problem to the master cylinder....at such time, it's then well worth the extra $300 to get a new one installed.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

the install price around here is $300

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Its nice to have hook ups though. I got a brand new Textralia clutch, slave, and resurfaced my month old flywheel (Dam slave took a crap and took the SPEC 3+ with it) parts plus labor at a performance shop for less than $500. The shop provided all the parts. I got one hellofa deal.

I did hook him back up and gave him the receipt from the SPEC 3+ and he mailed it in and got a new SPEC 3+ and sold it. There are still some mechanics out there that believe in reasonability.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

stay away from COTTMAN they're rip offs too. And t/a bought at a jag dealership is weird anyway. Who owns jag? FORD! So why take it to them... I'm suprised they'd even consider helping! I know you probably didn't know.

I recommend taking it to a chevrolet dealership. They'll hook you up right the first time. That's what I ended up doing. How many miles are on the car?

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    stay away from COTTMAN they're rip offs too. And t/a bought at a jag dealership is weird anyway. Who owns jag? FORD! So why take it to them... I'm suprised they'd even consider helping! I know you probably didn't know.

I recommend taking it to a chevrolet dealership. They'll hook you up right the first time. That's what I ended up doing. How many miles are on the car?
    I bought it there. The guy traded it in for a new jag coupe (which look awesome btw). I thought it might be under warranty so i brought it there. Oh, and it has 67k on it, and I'm second owner.

For an update i did find a place to do it (local shop). it cost $1160 for everything except master cylinder.

A few days after i get it back whenever I hold the clutch for a while it starts to give. Then I can't get it out of gear and I have to turn off the car to let go of the clutch, pull up on the pedal, and then reengage. Took it back and they said the master cylinder was internally bleeding. They are charging me another $200 for the cylinder and installation. Thats still a lot cheaper than the other quotes I had.

I'm picking it up today.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

As for my talking to cottman for that one and only time, I DON'T TRUST THEM

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I wouldn't say they are trying to "rip you off" they are just operating their business, but you can find a much better deal out there if you can't do the labor yourself.

Totally agree with y2k. They have a set price for labor. Parts will not be cheap and in my opinion not worth the price. I can gurantee you the ls7 kit is better and cheaper than anything they will try and sell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    The total cost of my LS7 clutch swap including the slave cylinder and labor was roughly $1,300. This includes paying roughly a $100.00 premium on parts and having the labor performed by a shop with a relatively higher labor rate ($90.00/ hr). I don't mind paying a premium to those guys as they are (in my opinion) the best performance shop I've ever worked with.

$2,000. is the higher end of the range (I contacted a few other shops in my area just to get a quote and I did receive several between $2.0K - $2.4K). I didn't change my master cylinder as I only have 35K miles on my car and I was simply trying to diagnose the sticky clutch pedal problem. Fortunately, if you swap the clutch and slave cylinder and still have the same problem, you've pretty much isolated the problem to the master cylinder....at such time, it's then well worth the extra $300 to get a new one installed.
    $1300 sounds about right for a clutch install.
    I just priced out and ls7 with everything, flywheel, clutch, slave, pilot bearing all the bolts needed and an alignment tool and it came out to $585 add another $150 for a master and just parts are around $750 so there charging you $1300 in labor for a job that should not take a pro much more than a few hours. I would find a new shop if I was you, no need to have the jag dealer do the work if its not covered under there warraty from them.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Man I paid $850 for my Mcleod kevlar (several years ago) w/adjustible master and only paid $250 to install.

White with black stripes
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

what?

listen im glad all your problems are being fixed or yall are working on them but i would like to know what is the alignment tool for?

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

^ i believe its for aligning flywheel/clutch. if not balanced, they will break. at least thats what i believe he was talking about...

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

yes, it is simply just a plastic tool that looks like a spline. when you drop the tranny you slide it in so that you can keep the alignment from the flyweel, and clutch with the motor, otherwise if you misalign it you will not be able to stab the tranny back in. Saves you time and a whole lot of effort.

White with black stripes
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

good

the shop you take it to, to replace the clutch should have that alignment tool right? Or should it be purchased every time you replace the clutch kit.

Black soon to be red
    2000 Trans am Ws6

Cottman

Please stay away from them.About 7 years back my bro had a acura an those fu++ing idiots dropped the transmission an cracked the pan.First they never told him so he picked it up an the next morning a nice puddle under his car.He went back an of course they said it was like that but they would take care of it due to him having one of those odd used car warranties but not before a battle.So he picks up his car AGAIN then next morning a smaller puddle.Come to find out they jb welded the pan.My bro had to pay about 400-500 out of pocket so he told them to screw,the manager said he would take him to court an my bro agreed...they never did anything.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

yeah i went to a private place. they did a good job and I'm happy with my new clutch.

and i don't think anyone makes you pay for the alignment tool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information